Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Green has signed for someone else ...

Post by Hog »

Horse
Sperm

Post by Horse »

I imagine it's the offer of two years that swung it. If he was talking to other clubs, including league clubs, I doubt anyone would take a risk of 2 years with his knee.

Last year he visibly struggled to play twice in a week and was on the bench for the run in. Added to this was some friction with Patto who was wrapping him in cotton wool to stop him from doing further damage to the knee.

I suspect that Torquay could be taking a big risk here, a bigger risk than anyone else was prepared to take.
keyboard warrior
Baby

Post by keyboard warrior »

A big gamble for Torquay. Let's hope that DP had a plan B for this situation.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

The rumour is that Green was supposed to sign for Oxford
this morning hence the reason why Mick brown was with Merry
at the season ticket promo.

Green's agent turned up at the Stadium but Green defied his agent
and drove down to Torquay with his missus and signed for the Gulls.

Brown and Merry were seen with huge dollops of egg on their faces.

I'm pretty p!ssed with all of this. MERRY OUT NOW.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

This is going well, isn't it? First Eddie Anaclet to Stevenage, now Green to Torquay. Losing players to league clubs is one thing, but...
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:The rumour is that Green was supposed to sign for Oxford
this morning hence the reason why Mick brown was with Merry
at the season ticket promo.

Green's agent turned up at the Stadium but Green defied his agent
and drove down to Torquay with his missus and signed for the Gulls.

Brown and Merry were seen with huge dollops of egg on their faces.

I'm pretty p!ssed with all of this. MERRY OUT NOW.
I reckon you should calm down a bit.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:This is going well, isn't it? First Eddie Anaclet to Stevenage, now Green to Torquay. Losing players to league clubs is one thing, but...
Very disappointing . Put bluntly, he got a better offer though. That's all.

Should we be slaughtering the club two months before the season starts?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotHorse&quot wrote: I suspect that Torquay could be taking a big risk here, a bigger risk than anyone else was prepared to take.
Possibly. But I suspect we are taking an even bigger risk by not signing anybody. Green. McAllister. Howard. Anaclet. Hand....... Merry &amp co. who are supposed to be setting us on course for a brighter future are f***ing up big time. What fecking rabbits have they got in their fecking hats?????
It's all going horribly horribly wrong.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:[Should we be slaughtering the club two months before the season starts?
I'm beginning to think so.

&amp so should OxVox too????
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Not sure anyone's doing any 'slaughtering', but the sense of optimism with which we ended last season (based on the playing record in the last 11 games) is quickly beginning to dissipate...
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

arsebiscuits.

that really is disappointing given the noises that green had been making, particularly if the story about his trip to torquay is true.

the pressure is certainly on patterson now.

as keyboard warrior says, let's hope there's a plan B. the last thing we need is a series of late, panic signings. torquay have taken a risk with a two year contract, but it's funny how risks look more attractive when it's not you taking them.

'slaughtering' the club now seems unfair, but i'm of a nervous disposition and would like to know we've signed someone any good soon please.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I think the reality of what we are now in a position to pay is coming home.

Clearly after blowing far more than we can afford in last two seasons we are now facing some serious belt tightening.

Of course Mrs Green might have been influenced by the fact that a similar two bedroomed house in Oxford that costs 240K can be purchased in Torquay area for 135K (following a very brief search on Rightmove).

Not a hard decision if you want to get on the property ladder is it?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

So Torquay, Stevenage and Crawley, who have half our crowds, are now more attractive then us.

The end of last season was completly pointless, we used a chunk of our wages on players who are not going to be at the club and we're now starting again. It is clear the club really wanted Green and for many fans he was a very key signing, the fact he has gone to one of our biggest rivals speaks volumes about the selling power of Merry and Patto.

We are now going to be brining players in who we have not seen before and will not know if they are any good or not. This will now be the first season out of the last 8 that I don't get a season ticket, I cannot be bothered to waste my time and money on watching teams with half our crowds beat us to the best players on offer. There is something seriously wrong with the way this club is being run.

However, should the club start winning on the pitch again I will pay on the day but with the risk of another season where we can't beat Tonbridge Angels over two legs, lose 5-0 to Rushden and finish in our lowest league position for years, below a number of part time clubs, then I'm not running the risk of paying nearly £300 for a product that will only make me depressed.

Dare I say it but getting rid of Duffy, a 20 goal a season striker and a very good partner for Yemi, is starting to look a little stupid now.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote: The end of last season was completly pointless, we used a chunk of our wages on players who are not going to be at the club and we're now starting again.
We had that very same discusion in our household last night.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotJimski&quot wrote:This is going well, isn't it? First Eddie Anaclet to Stevenage, now Green to Torquay. Losing players to league clubs is one thing, but...
Very disappointing . Put bluntly, he got a better offer though. That's all.

Yes he has a better offer. Unlike Anaclet though, I would suspect that Patterson desperately wanted Green to come and was banking on it. If he went to a league club then fine. Going to Torquay certainly feels like a big kick in the teeth though.