Green has signed for someone else ...

Anything yellow and blue
Jezzar
Sperm

Post by Jezzar »

I'm absolutely gutted about Green. If he can stay injury free then he will be amongst the top five strikers in this league. However this is the big question because I suspect that Darren Patterson is going to focus on a small but talented first team squad. This reflects the offer made by him rightly or wrongly.

I'm amazed though if the story regarding this debacle is true. If green went to Torquay whilst his agent and the Oxford management were waiting at the ground for him. if it is true then maybe we should consider ourselves lucky (I suspect I'm just trying to console myself).
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote: I think you've mistaken us for TiU. No need for that sort of crap.
I think you've mistaken yourself for a football fan, droid. You're honestly telling me that you wish the nasty little tart an injury free and successful season, Hog, and that taking another view constitutes crap? I obviously wouldn't write that in an article (though Patterson essentially paraphrases my sentiment on the official site) but I was under the impression that football fora are mediums for expressing and discussing differing opinions, including those which others may disagree with, rather than pedalling the same standard crap.

As a result when I see Green turn his back on a club who (as the radox interview suggested) had given him a lot, I think 'judas prick' rather than 'good luck matt, thanks for all you have done and good luck next year, hopefully with your help we can lose 4-3 at home this time and 4-2 away.'

I'm so sorry I forgot that the only legitimate justification for displays of emotion on here are limited to expressing annoyance at gramatical errors.
Green is no different to 90% of professional footballers in that they have little or no loyalty to a club. When the chips are down, or rather when a wad of cash is flashed, they just go off to the highest bidder and for understandable reasons. A good job it’s not the same scenario with the supporters.

And yes, there are differences between this board and TiU that are not just limited to the use of grammar - no wonder you once got sent off three times in one game.
Sorry Sir I'll go and stand in the corner and think about what I've done.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I'm pretty disappointed about Green, and a little surprised too.

However, looking at it from the player's perspective, if his knees are as bad as being reported, then it is understandable that he took a 2 year deal over a 1 year deal.

If his knee problems are being over-spun by OUFC, which is a possibility assuming Torkey have undertaken their own medical assessments, then there is every chance this will come back to haunt us.

Whatever the position, fans expressions of disappointment in terms of players doing themselves major harm, is unpleasant to say the least, and totally uncalled for and unjustified.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I think expressing a desire that somebody should snap both their knees is somewhat below the lowest acceptable level of civilised discussion.
entirely disenchanted
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I think we all agree that wishing injury on anyone is wrong. Let's concentrate on how big a setback Matt Green's decision to join one of our &quotrivals&quot is, and what it means for our club.

Personally, I'm disappointed, because he was as good a striker as we've had since ... &lttrying to think of good strikers we've had&gt..er Moody, Mk I.
However, it's interesting how many games he started on the bench last year, especially considering how we could have &quotgambled&quot more on his fitness with him not being &quotour player&quot.

That Cardiff let him go on a free is interesting too. When he played, he looked the real deal, fast, athletic, &quota handful&quot, and clearly a good finisher. I'd have thought it was worth Cardiff keeping him for a year or two to see how he develops - good strikers cost a lot to buy. (Then again, Mr Ridsdale never has considered the long term). Perhaps, they too have concerns about his knees.

Patto's views, as ever, are well made, and put a positive spin on on the fact we've lost the player the fans had pinned their hopes on. But, you'd expect nothing less from our slick-speaking manager. It will be very interesting to see who the other strikers he is talking to are, considering he thinks they are better. But we need a good signing soon if we are to sell any season tickets.

The worry is that he's joined Torquay. Perhaps he knows he's knees are crocked and wants two years of pay. Perhaps, he thinks Buckle and his boys are a better bet. Maybe Torquay are just paying more. Maybe, we are paying shit wages. Maybe he likes Torquay more than Oxford. The truth will come out eventually.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I would guess that the offer of more money and a longer contract is what swung it for Green.

Potentially something of a disaster though, as he looked head and shoulders above just about all the strikers in this division. And doubly disappointing that he's gone to a rival rather than a team in the football league. I can only guess the concerns about his knees prevented teams wanting to take a gamble on him, but his time here showed that whatever the problem was, it could certainly be managed.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I think expressing a desire that somebody should snap both their knees is somewhat below the lowest acceptable level of civilised discussion.
Having slept on it and calmed down a bit, you're right, fuelled by frustration and dissapointment I probably went a bit far. What I maintain is that I would not be disappointed if our fears for his fitness, and resultant unwillingness to offer him a longer contract/more money, ended up being justified. This is because when fit he's probably the most exciting and effective young strikers in the league and consequently letting him go to our rivals could end up being a disaster.

I do not see 'wishing him well' as the only civilised response. Just as one is unlikely to complain if Oxford were to be given a dodgy penalty and is likely to call for opposition players to be sent off after a nasty tackle, to not be, or to pretend not to be, partisan in footballing terms is nonsensical. For the good of Oxford, I hope Matt Green turns out the be as much of a crock as Patto claims he is.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

&quotI hope Matt Green turns out the be as much of a crock as Patto claims he is&quot.

You'll have to sort out your spelling too, Deano.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I would guess that the offer of more money and a longer contract is what swung it for Green.
Quite. As Billy said on RadOx towards the end of last season, footballers are basically self-employed. The club is a contractor. Being self-employed (as I am), if you have the chance to pick and choose work, you take the longest, highest paid contracts (most of the time). It is no different in Greens case.

On a cynical note: I wonder if the club are waiting until after the season ticket reduction deadline to sign all these amazing players, so they get more per season ticket! Oh, how I wish ANYONE at our club had this much marketing sense...!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I would guess that the offer of more money and a longer contract is what swung it for Green.
Quite. As Billy said on RadOx towards the end of last season, footballers are basically self-employed. The club is a contractor. Being self-employed (as I am), if you have the chance to pick and choose work, you take the longest, highest paid contracts (most of the time). It is no different in Greens case.

On a cynical note: I wonder if the club are waiting until after the season ticket reduction deadline to sign all these amazing players, so they get more per season ticket! Oh, how I wish ANYONE at our club had this much marketing sense...!
I have to agree with RM here but I don't think being self employed has anything to do with it. How many of us if offered a similar job on more money and with more security wouldn't take it?

If Green turns out to be a 25 goal a season player and fires Torquay to the top of the table then Patto has to take the responsibility for not identifying this and securing his contract. You can't blame Matt Green though.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I dunno, from the sounds of it Green hasn't conducted himself very well - to verbally accept the offer but then head somewhere else the morning it was due to be signed is not very professional. Assuming that is what happened obviously. His actions aren't deserving of the pile of vitriol he'll doubtless receive from our lot when he plays (and scores).
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I dunno, from the sounds of it Green hasn't conducted himself very well - to verbally accept the offer but then head somewhere else the morning it was due to be signed is not very professional. Assuming that is what happened obviously. His actions aren't deserving of the pile of vitriol he'll doubtless receive from our lot when he plays (and scores).
Agreed. The way that he did it was not good. Ultimately it comes down to money. I hope Patto's valuation was corret and Torquay paid over the odds. The alternative being that Patto either misjudged his worth or was being restricted in what he can offer by being given a lower than expected budget.

There's a question for OxVox to ask - Is the club budgeting to spend up to the limit of the wages cap this season?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I dunno, from the sounds of it Green hasn't conducted himself very well - to verbally accept the offer but then head somewhere else the morning it was due to be signed is not very professional. Assuming that is what happened obviously. His actions aren't deserving of the pile of vitriol he'll doubtless receive from our lot when he plays (and scores).
Agreed. The way that he did it was not good. Ultimately it comes down to money. I hope Patto's valuation was corret and Torquay paid over the odds. The alternative being that Patto either misjudged his worth or was being restricted in what he can offer by being given a lower than expected budget.

There's a question for OxVox to ask - Is the club budgeting to spend up to the limit of the wages cap this season?
If anything we should have offered more then Torquay. Their fans don't know who he is, I was with one at the weekend and didn't even know they had signed one till I told him, to them it's just another signing, to us, judging by the reaction on here and TiU he was seen as the key signing for next season.

Thus by letting him get away any sense of optimism has vanished, has we have signed him on the doubters would have been silenced and all would be well in the world of Oxford United. As it is our main rival has snapped up some very useful players wheras we are still waiting for an answer from a number of others which suggests they're not exactly that keen to come to Oxford and are waiting to hear if they get a better offer.

Nothing wrong with this, but it makes Pattos claim that he only wants players desperate to play for the club look rather shallow.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I think expressing a desire that somebody should snap both their knees is somewhat below the lowest acceptable level of civilised discussion.
Having slept on it and calmed down a bit, you're right, fuelled by frustration and dissapointment I probably went a bit far. What I maintain is that I would not be disappointed if our fears for his fitness, and resultant unwillingness to offer him a longer contract/more money, ended up being justified. This is because when fit he's probably the most exciting and effective young strikers in the league and consequently letting him go to our rivals could end up being a disaster.

I do not see 'wishing him well' as the only civilised response. Just as one is unlikely to complain if Oxford were to be given a dodgy penalty and is likely to call for opposition players to be sent off after a nasty tackle, to not be, or to pretend not to be, partisan in footballing terms is nonsensical. For the good of Oxford, I hope Matt Green turns out the be as much of a crock as Patto claims he is.
So was I right after all to say your original post was crap then?
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotHog&quot wrote:

So was I right after all to say your original post was crap then?
No, you weren't. You were at most half right. I still hope he turns out to be as much of an injury prone c(r)ock as Patto says he is. Maybe both knees snapping in half is a little excessive though...just one would be enough :)