Strikers

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Strikers

Post by slappy »

slappy wrote:
Mr T wrote:...and c) Not cup tied!
Reckon that leaves just Ashby & Humphreys to play up front at Tranmere next week?
Barnett will be back at Peterbrough, and is Hylton injured?

Now if we had a defender like Harry Worley who enjoys playing up front, then it may be worth going to Prenton Park for the novelty value team selection alone!
I reckon Raynes with his heading ability would be a good target man; can't be any worse than Peter Crouch!
how about Raynes at left back and THD up front?
This 'lack of strikers' also ignores Potter who is a forward.
On Saturday we saw that Appleton pushed THD into midfield, but was Meades taking his place in defence.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Well, one less to choose from - MArsh signs for Ebbsfleet on a free....

http://www.ebbsfleetunited.co.uk/home/fleet-land-marsh/?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Having signed a couple of players that had made names for themselves in non-league United let one go that was making a name for himself in non-league, seems a slightly strange decision.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

joepoolman wrote:Having signed a couple of players that had made names for themselves in non-league United let one go that was making a name for himself in non-league, seems a slightly strange decision.
Was he? Although I'm not impressed with the signings you mention I'm quite happy with Tyrone being released. It'll be interesting to see how long CoD lasts too.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Hog wrote:
joepoolman wrote:Having signed a couple of players that had made names for themselves in non-league United let one go that was making a name for himself in non-league, seems a slightly strange decision.
Was he? Although I'm not impressed with the signings you mention I'm quite happy with Tyrone being released. It'll be interesting to see how long CoD lasts too.
I don't think COD will be out the door for a while yet....very different situations I'd say. he's in the manager's thinking, in or around the side week on week, whereas Marsh is two years older, has direct competition for the 'local' hero in his chosen position and would be way down the pecking order, even if he had come back.
While the move to Ebbsfleet came ot of the blue, I think it is a decent decision from his point of view, get a bit of stability and certainty into his career and look to move forward rather than what would, in effect, almost be putting things on hold again, should he come back.
I wish him well and hope that he can stay at that level for years to come rather than dropping down the pyramid into the local scene like so many before him...
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Hog wrote:Was he? Although I'm not impressed with the signings you mention I'm quite happy with Tyrone being released.
I think it was strange timing seeing as Tyrone hadn't really done anything for three years, and we choose to release him when he's just scored 8 goals in 11 games.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

joepoolman wrote:
Hog wrote:Was he? Although I'm not impressed with the signings you mention I'm quite happy with Tyrone being released.
I think it was strange timing seeing as Tyrone hadn't really done anything for three years, and we choose to release him when he's just scored 8 goals in 11 games.
Realistically though, he's had several chances and not really taken any, so it was always likely that he would be released as soon as a realistic offer came for him. Although I'm sure he was freed and did not attract a fee, it was always going to be more likely that he was released after a successful loan spell rather than without one, when he would have stayed until the end of his contract.

And how far down the pecking order do you think he would be now? Behind Hylton and Roberts, Burns and Campbell, with two more to come back from the physio's room, and potentially more in the transfer window. Not worth carrying Marsh considering, and no great surprise to me that he is being released now.