Westward Ho! (Not a letdown)

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Westward Ho! (Not a letdown)

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well, Eastward for me actually. And a half a biscuit to anyone who gets the song reference in the subject line...

Anyway, pre-match Mr Silver assured me we were going to win because Plymouth hadn't lost at home all season and that's how it works. I pointed out that we hadn't lost in Devon for years and were bound to lose in front of my kids, who had never seen us lose away til now.

First half I resigned myself to being right - Argyle looked better than us all over the pitch. Hylton carved himself out a couple of chances but, apart from that, we offered absolutely nothing going forwards and were being run ragged by Alessandra (sp?) at the back.

As any fule kno (even those that weren't there), the game changed on a sending off. Sam Long, already on a yellow, approached a 50-50 ball. 'Don't dive in!' I shouted. Thankfully he didn't. The Plymouth player, thinking that Long would, dived in himself. Straight red. No complaints. Apparently it was his third start, and the first time his parents had watched him. He looked devastated, as well he might. It cost his team the game.

Not that we took much immediate advantage, but to his credit Appleton made some positive substitutions at half-time, and we started to get back into it, culminating with James Roberts' beautiful curling winner into the top corner.

Had we deserved it? Maybe. But let's not kid ourselves. We're far, far from the finished article.

Positives? Roberts' peach of a curler of course. And newbie Campbell also notched (did he actually touch it? Who cares!). Dunkley looked good - our best defender all game. Hylton again worked his socks off but was a little lacking in front of goal. Long looked assured while he was on the pitch. O'Dowda grew into the game after his introduction. Mullins looked pretty good as an attacking full-back, albeit against only ten men.

Negatives? THD had a poor game - constantly caught out of position in the first half, and Wright not really providing adequate cover, everything Plymouth did came down our left and we were lucky only to be a goal down at the break. Whing and Collins both looked ponderous until we had a man advantage. Burns flattered to deceive and didn't do enough really - potentially our best outlet but too many poor decisions.

Funnily enough, not having witnessed it, our defeat to top-of-the-table Shrewsbury didn't bother me particulary. It was pretty well expected. Likewise I'm not getting carried away with today's result. Had Plymouth not been a man down I have no doubt they'd have beaten us quite comfortably. But football's a funny old game, and we gained a desparately-needed three points, and got to sing Jingle Bells at our only festive away fixture!

Up The Manor!
SWA
Puberty

Re: Westward Ho! (Not a letdown)

Post by SWA »

They were the better side first half, no doubt. The sending off was clear cut. What their lad was thinking I don't know. Reuben Reid and Allesandra were a constant threat. I disagree about THD. In the second half, him and O Dowda tore their right back to shreds. A good away day all in all. Tribute ale still good, despite it's ever increasing popularity.
Oh, and you have to give Appleton credit for the substitutions today. They really influenced the game positively.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Track 1 Urge for Offal.

Love the group.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I wasn't at the game, Jerome but I do see two interesting things from friends on Facebook who did go, which haven't been mentioned-

1. The signs welcoming Oxford fans into the ground by telling them how grateful PAFC were for travelling nearly 200 miles to come to the game. Obviously they do this for each set if away fans, but what a lovely gesture. Clearly they know it is a hell of a way to go and want you to come back next time. Good work.

2. Our new owners giving out free Yellow and Blue scarves. You'd think with all the issues we've had with chairmen and owners in our time that a gesture such as this would be lauded as headline news over 'inconsistent team wins another game after losing one before' but no, not a single mention of it on any media outlet, local or national- nor on any fan-led site I can I see. They've got a lot of work to do and we all are not yet convinced by their selection of manager, but you can't fault their commitment to the youth team, to looking for players from non league (the first 'gamble' scored with his first touch yesterday) and their personable nature of sending out detailed update emails to their mailing list and handing out free scarves at a Christmas away match. It does feel a little like we've gone from abusive lover to abusive lover, but now we are with someone killing us with kindness... Let's hope this one is genuine...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow - hope you got the Dukla Prague away kit you asked for. As for the rest of your post, well, it's cliched to be cynical at Christmas.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Not everyone got a free scarf. They had run out by the time I got in the ground at 240PM
Nonetheless, a good gesture.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Can United go with Johnny Mullins at fullback
with big Chey Dunkley at right side centre half?

Just wondering if it's a solution to Riley
going back to Bolton. I like Riley going forward
but defensively he frightens me to death.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

recordmeister wrote:I wasn't at the game, Jerome but I do see two interesting things from friends on Facebook who did go, which haven't been mentioned-

1. The signs welcoming Oxford fans into the ground by telling them how grateful PAFC were for travelling nearly 200 miles to come to the game. Obviously they do this for each set if away fans, but what a lovely gesture. Clearly they know it is a hell of a way to go and want you to come back next time. Good work.
Last time I went they had tubs of ice-cream on sale in the concourse branded with the away teams colours, name and badge. Probably too cold at this time of year. Again, a nice touch.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

SWA wrote:Not everyone got a free scarf. They had run out by the time I got in the ground at 240PM
Nonetheless, a good gesture.
We didn't get offered any free scarves either, but I suspected something like that had happened as there were quite a few people in the away end wearing identical yellow and blue bar scarves. They looked decent too, and added some colour to the away end. Decent turnout as well, both from Us and the home fans, though the Green Army don't half like a whinge at the ref - and booed Sam Long ceaselessly for having the temerity to almost have his leg broken by their full back.

SWA - I hope you didn't drink Tribute for the whole of your visit! I don't touch the stuff if I can help it, and enjoyed some fine ales pre- and post-match in the Hyde Park, Mannamead and Fortescue. Mutley's the area for football drinking when visiting Home Park.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Nope - drank some other good ales also (I forget what they are called now!)
The Barbican area really does have some fantastic hostelries for partaking in some drinking :lol:
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

OUFC4eva wrote:Can United go with Johnny Mullins at fullback
with big Chey Dunkley at right side centre half?

Just wondering if it's a solution to Riley
going back to Bolton. I like Riley going forward
but defensively he frightens me to death.
Riley hasn't gone back has he?

I think we have a great chance of getting his loan extended. I think we could even sign the boy in the Summer. If there are a few days whilst all parties are deciding then we could go with Mulls at full back or even use Sam Long, who I think is more likely to be destined in that role than at centre-half.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Talk about a game of two halves! We were dire in the first half. Defenders were committing themselves early or caught out of position on a regular basis, especially down our left hand side. I agree with KY about THD. He looked like a young player who needs a break for a couple of games. Remember, he hadn't any league football experience before joining us and has played regularly since doing so. COD showed how 'part time' football can revitalise a player. The second half was much better, even allowing for the one man advantage. We changed our formation to 4-4-2 and made Plymouth chase the ball more. Dunkley won a good header to allow Campbell to chest home the first goal. Roberts' goal, with the assist from COD, was worth the admission fee on its own!

It was a disgraceful tackle on Sam Long for Bentley's red card. I was told that the Radio Oxford commentators thought it should have been a yellow. If true, which game were they watching?

That's another ground I can knock off my 'to visit' list.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Looking at the highlights, in the aftermath of the red card tackle, did anyone else think that Whing looked like he was fairly fortunate to escape some punishment? Fairly forcible "laying on of hands", wasn't it? Understandable, but not entirely helpful. Damn fine goal.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Here's an alternative view of the action which I think you'll enjoy ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcSVa1Txik