incoing players rumours

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: incoing players rumours

Post by Dr Bob »

From a super-talented squad to doom and gloom and negativity. Just another day on the forum...

Just seen this teamsheet from a report of the friendly against Derby:
Trialist, Bevans, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Ashby, Long, Marsh, Hawtin, Trialist, Roberts

If this is written in position order, then it would appear that we are looking at another keeper, and three more defenders. Why? One of the triallists did score, though - expect that the report does not make it clear whether said triallist was a striker.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:Up front, which is the most important position, we have very little. I don't rate Hylton, Potter can't finish and is really a winger trying to play up front, and the remaining players are youngsters still learning.

If Potter is to be played up front, as looks likely, we have very little quality in wide midfield, which is essential at league 2 level.

As Hog said, be prepared for lots of bore draws.
Good grief. Appleton has acknowledged in every interview that we need forwards and that we will get some.

We also needed a goalkeeper and a central midfielder (right back is more arguable, although i don't recall many people praising Hunt last season).

We have lost Constable, Smalley, Wroe, Kitson, Williams, Connolly, Scott Davies and Sean Rigg from the wage bill. We've got a long way to go before we get even close to last year's playing budget. Attacking players are going to be signed. Let's judge the squad once they've arrived shall we?
Agree with this, but I am a little concerned if Bevans is indeed being sidelined, as he was one of the few positives from the second part of last season.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Free agent midfielder Simon Gillett unlikely to sign
for Yeovil Town according to reports today:

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/simon- ... his-summer
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Dr Bob wrote:From a super-talented squad to doom and gloom and negativity. Just another day on the forum...

Just seen this teamsheet from a report of the friendly against Derby:
Trialist, Bevans, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Ashby, Long, Marsh, Hawtin, Trialist, Roberts

If this is written in position order, then it would appear that we are looking at another keeper, and three more defenders. Why? One of the triallists did score, though - expect that the report does not make it clear whether said triallist was a striker.
A tweet tonight confirms that triallist striker Duncan "Donuts" Culley scored for the U's at Derby.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

OUFC4eva wrote:Free agent midfielder Simon Gillett unlikely to sign
for Yeovil Town according to reports today:

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/simon- ... his-summer
That report has a cracking first sentence!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

He looks like chesney hawkes...
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

recordmeister wrote:He looks like chesney hawkes...
That can't be right. Chesney Hawkes is the one and only..........
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Jimski wrote:I am a little concerned if Bevans is indeed being sidelined, as he was one of the few positives from the second part of last season.
Agree that Bevans looked fine when given a chance in the first team. And it's particularly odd given that we apparently 'forced' a contract extension on him after he'd rejected new terms (presumably on a longer deal). But that was before the takeover, and Appleton has spoken of wanting to send him and Marsh out on loan, so who knows what's going on with him.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:Up front, which is the most important position, we have very little. I don't rate Hylton, Potter can't finish and is really a winger trying to play up front, and the remaining players are youngsters still learning.

If Potter is to be played up front, as looks likely, we have very little quality in wide midfield, which is essential at league 2 level.

Good grief. Appleton has acknowledged in every interview that we need forwards and that we will get some.

We also needed a goalkeeper and a central midfielder (right back is more arguable, although i don't recall many people praising Hunt last season).

We have lost Constable, Smalley, Wroe, Kitson, Williams, Connolly, Scott Davies and Sean Rigg from the wage bill. We've got a long way to go before we get even close to last year's playing budget. Attacking players are going to be signed. Let's judge the squad once they've arrived shall we?
No, let's not. Let's judge the squad on we've got so far and speculate on what might be forthcoming, given that Appleton has said he will sign only 2 or 3 extra players.

Let's not stifle debate on an already under-used forum shall we?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

United sign 25 year old Junior Brown from Fleetwood Town.
Versatile Brown can play anywhere down the left hand side.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:

No, let's not. Let's judge the squad on we've got so far and speculate on what might be forthcoming, given that Appleton has said he will sign only 2 or 3 extra players.

Stifle debate - lol.

Listen, if we don't sign any forwards having gone out of our way to strengthen our coaching and recruitment positions, I'll be as annoyed as you. But I simply don't believe that's going to be the case. One has signed today (a winger, like you wanted) and I'm sure there will be a striker or two to follow.

It is obviously taking time for the attacking targets to fall into place, but that's no reason not to address our other needs in the meantime.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:

Stifle debate - lol.

Listen, if we don't sign any forwards having gone out of our way to strengthen our coaching and recruitment positions, I'll be as annoyed as you. But I simply don't believe that's going to be the case. One has signed today (a winger, like you wanted) and I'm sure there will be a striker or two to follow.

It is obviously taking time for the attacking targets to fall into place, but that's no reason not to address our other needs in the meantime.
That's your view and I think we are all clear on that.

Even if we sign 2 strikers the squad will still be threadbare. We'll have no right sided midfielder other than Potter, and if he plays right sided, 2 strikers won't be sufficient.

Having just one player in key positions isn't going to be good enough either.

The squad is full of defensive players and injury prone mediocre midfielders and much as I like younger players to be given a chance, they should not be playing more than a quarter of the season unless they have exceptional talent.

The squad looks very unbalanced, and even to get in 2 top level strikers at such a late stage is bordering on the ridiculous.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Why do managers so often describe players as having an "eye for goal"? It almost always seems to mean they can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. So it always makes me amused when they say it. I guess they say it when they can't reasonably say that the player actually scores lots of goals. (Don't take this as me saying that Brown won't be good btw, just a comment on this overused expression.)
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Cutting through the endless rowing to actually comment on players signed, I'm happy with Brown as he is the first player we've signed that I do not have any reservations about, either because I haven't heard of them (Riley and Long) or have mixed feelings about (Collins, Hylton). From what I have seen of him he is quick, direct and can shoot. Although We thought Rigg was that player...
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I've been impressed with what I've seen of Collins, albeit only against Oxford City and Didcot.