James Constable: Legend?

Anything yellow and blue
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: James Constable: Legend?

Post by Paul Cooper »

A-Ro wrote:
JoeyBeauchamp wrote:No Jake Wright?

Actually Mark Wright should be up for consideration as well.
What in his managerial capacity?

Never could he be described as a legend as a player. he only played 10 games or so for us before going to Southampton.

In my view a 'legend' surely has to have given something to the team over a period of time? Whilst Jimmy Phillips was a very good player for us- Legend? My definition is they have to be a bit more than a decent player over 2-3 seasons (or less than 12 games in the case of mark Wright)
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

No mention of Brian Wilsterman yet? Only joking! But perhaps if we differentiated between 'legends' and 'cult heroes' it might be easier? I mean, to refer above to Tommy Mooney as a legend is way off in my mind but he was, perhaps (albeit very briefly), a cult hero. Others could be Wilderbeest, Kevin Francis, John Byrne, David Rush.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Hog wrote:No mention of Brian Wilsterman yet? Only joking! But perhaps if we differentiated between 'legends' and 'cult heroes' it might be easier? I mean, to refer above to Tommy Mooney as a legend is way off in my mind but he was, perhaps (albeit very briefly), a cult hero. Others could be Wilderbeest, Kevin Francis, John Byrne, David Rush.
More cult heroes...

Matt Murphy, Julian Alsop, Jefferson Louis (if only for THAT goal and the live BBC cameras in the dressing room), Nigel Jemson...
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Yemi in his Yemi shirt.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

My first real Oxford "idol" was Mick Tait - a terrific young centre forward as was
Jason Seacole.

I was gutted - almost tearful when Tait left for Carlisle United in January 1977.
I then took to Les Taylor - a super little player.

Legends for us would surely have to include Maurice Kyle, Ron Atkinson, Tony Jones, Graham Atkinson, John Shuker, Roy Burton,
Colin Clarke, Dave Roberts, Hugh Curran, Later names for inclusion include Gary Briggs, Mal Shotton,
John Aldridge, Joey Beauchamp, Matthew Elliott and possibly Paul Moody.

No mention of Les Robinson who was here for ten years and I loved watching Mike Ford.

No way is Alfie Potter worthy of inclusion (yet) ditto Tommy Mooney.Keith Cassells was great but was here for
for just under 18 months.

A legend is a special player for various reasons who was at United for a good period of time.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

OUFC4eva wrote:No way is Alfie Potter worthy of inclusion
I'd struggle to watch THAT goal at Wembley and say that Alfie isn't in some way a legend, and that's not the only very exciting last minute goal in a big game that he has scored...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

A-Ro wrote:
JoeyBeauchamp wrote:No Jake Wright?
Actually Mark Wright should be up for consideration as well.
Agree. Mark Wright was a legend as a manger with some of the stuff he did that could not possibly be posted on a public forum.

As for managers then my legends include Jim Smith, Maurice Evans, Horton Out, and the next manager of England.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Mr Fish?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Snake wrote:Agree. Mark Wright was a legend as a manger
Even the Christmas entertainment was legendary in those days.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

As for cult heroes in my time it'd be hard to better Pal Lundin
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Eric Pollard wrote:Snake's a legend for keeping up his loyal support of about 14 different professional football clubs at last count. :lol:

'Oop the Warriors' ! etc
I never even knew myself it was up to 14 now. Want to list them, Eric? Oh, and add Brackley Town as a new one if you want to cheat..

p.s. because of your people cluttering up the roads around Wembley Stadium this Saturday I’ve got to leave Oxford an hour earlier than planned to get to Craven Cottage in time for a pre-match beer. *

* = For other readers please excuse the bite on his post but that Wugby news really pissed me off. Sorry.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Not sure who wrote this article ...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/opinio ... k_/?ref=la

but I'm guessing it's the journalist posing as Michael Duberry.

Which Jones is he referring to as an Oxford legend - Davy, GH, Mark or Tony?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I should probably have included some managers in my Legends List. For me the one man that made the biggest difference to United only stopped with us for 18 months and his middle name was Denzil.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

IDG