That milk advert

Anything yellow and blue
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

That milk advert

Post by tomoufc »

It's always a pleasure to visit Stanley. What a strange setting for a game of English professional football, the little ground nestled on top of craggy hills overlooking rows of terrace houses, abandoned mills and hypermarkets. And what strange autumnal East Lancasterian weather - a gentle warm breeze and cloudless skies. I was sweating in the Crown before the game, watching the Newcastle-Liverpool match.

I soaked in the atmosphere from the sign that read 'Accrington Stanley - one of12 founding members of the footfall league, to the portacabin club offices and toilets. I felt sorry for them, that they we plummeting head first into the Conference and God knows where. I was sure that this might be my last visit to the ground, whether we get promoted or not.

The first half was awful primarily because Stanley realised that they could get round our formation by lumping the ball into the corners, then piling players forward. No oxford player seemed to know where they should be, who to mark. If it wasn't for some great defending from our centre backs we would have been in real trouble.

Wilder reverted to 442 early on in the second half. Mullins was tactically substituted, in reality. We looked much better and could easily have won were it not for some outstanding saves from their keeper.

Still, only a point off first place and a potential early six pointer on Tuesday. Win that and it'll be one of the best starts to a season in recent history.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re: That milk advert

Post by BigCrompy »

I soaked in the atmosphere from the sign that read 'Accrington Stanley - one of12 founding members of the footfall league, to the portacabin club offices and toilets. I felt sorry for them, that they we plummeting head first into the Conference and God knows where. I was sure that this might be my last visit to the ground, whether we get promoted or not.

As a total aside, I've never been to the Crown Ground, and as such was fascinated to hear that the current club claim a link to foundeeship of the Football League.

All my teachings were that this current incarnation are possibly the third Accrington club chronologically in the town, perhaps even as members of the League - and thus as removed from each other as United and City.

A very interesting claim, I wonder if it's disputed over warm beer and mushy peas on a soggy East Lancashire night?
Last edited by BigCrompy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I had the same thought Crompy! Unless the Football League only started in 1968 then they would be hard pushed to be founder members!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accrington_Stanley_F.C.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Maybe is was cleverly worded. Still, there's a lot of history there, something you don't always get of a sense of when visiting away grounds.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

'Twas Accrington (no 'Stanley') who were founder members, and they folder a few years ago in 1896.

The 'Stanley' effectively replaced them as the Accrington club, and the first Accrington Stanley went bust shortly after we replaced them in the league.

So the current club are effectively Mark III.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

I mainly only ask in anticipation of celebrating our own hallowed triumph in that famous FA Cup Final of 1874.

There's not too many of us that can say we were there.

Proudest day of my life.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

tomoufc wrote:I soaked in the atmosphere from the sign that read 'Accrington Stanley - one of12 founding members of the footfall league
Following the recent game at Buckingham Palace to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the FA I had cause to look up the original members on t'interweb and I was sure that it never mentioned Accrington in the list. Having rechecked said Wiki page I still cannot see them listed so I'm not sure where that claim comes from.

The list being: Barnes, Civil Service, Crusaders, Forest of Leytonstone (later to become Wanderers), N.N. (No Names) Club (Kilburn), the original Crystal Palace, Blackheath, Kensington School, Perceval House (Blackheath), Surbiton and Blackheath Proprietary School; Charterhouse sent their captain, B.F. Hartshorne, but declined the offer to join.

Edit: Ignore me, schoolboy error - League not FA. I'll leave it here anyway.

The League list is thus. Accrington, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke F.C. (renamed Stoke City in 1928), West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Anyway, back to the game.
I was disappointed the Crown had none of their delicious cottage pie unlike last year. But Pride of Pendle made up for it.

The pitch looked magnificent compared to the ploughed field of previous years.
That open terrace is horrible trying to get any sort of atmosphere going.

We were caught or called offside far too often.

Second half an Accy sub with ginger hair had the pleasure of a new chant of "just a s**t David Kitson", which makes a change from the usual.

Ryan Williams came on for Mullins, and again I think he deserves more game time. He is the only player who seems to want to attack defences at the moment.

Andy Whing got cautioned for a tackle late on, then was called back by the referee for a sterner talking to. If you ever wanted to see an example of somebody biting their lip whilst privately fuming, this was it.

There was drama in the final few minutes with an Accrington free kick right in front of the box, but luckily it didn't find a way through the wall.

I was even more grateful that the rain held off until just after the final whistle, and it was torrential. Ian Lenagan was also waiting for the players to go through the exit at the final whistle. I think he was at this game last year too, so he must be a fan of the Crown ground.

Virgin trains keep emailing me about their amazing London-Birmingham or London-Manchester fares from £12.50, but for their own reasons the trains to Preston are never included, and even 11 weeks ago the fares were nearly all full price. Apparently Charlton only took 230 to Blackburn compared to our 376. I went to Blackburn-QPR last season when the Accy game was off and it was only around £20 to get in I think as a Cat B game.

On our train back to Preston, the Charlton commentary and web-team all hopped on - no squeezing into a car for them, and it seems they weren't that bothered about getting reports filed straight after the game either.

On the 7pm train back to London were the whole of the AFC Wimbledon squad who had played Morecambe that day. I was tempted to ask them about Constable's sending off last season, but decided to follow the Andy Whing approach and keep my mouth shut, and just said to Jack Midson that I'd see them all next week.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Accrington's first game in the Football League was against Everton at Anfield. Liverpool? Who the hell are they?