Front 4 for Saturday

Anything yellow and blue
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re: Front 4 for Saturday

Post by tomoufc »

Yankee Clipper wrote:
recordmeister wrote:Here's a revolutionary idea: why don't we play two strikers up front and two wingers on the wings.

I know what you're thinking: "Recordmeister is either a mad man or a genius."

Well, what can I say... other than cross me, and you'll wake up with an Ox's head in your bed.

For me: Kitson & Smalley / Potter & Williams.

It's hardly cooking pure, blue crystal meth, is it?

Taking this on a complete tangent and with a promise of no spoilers, but given your final line you are obviously a fan. Have you seen Sundays episode (14) "Ozymandias" yet. WOW f*cking WOW. Critics are asking "Is Breaking Bad Ozymandias the single greatest episode of television ever made?" And I tell you what, It's gotta be close.
Taking the tangent a bit further I would argue that Breaking Bad is one long, extended critique of the privatised nature of the American healthcare system. Think about it, right? All that shit he has to do just to get his cancer treatment.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

tomoufc wrote:
Yankee Clipper wrote:
recordmeister wrote:Here's a revolutionary idea: why don't we play two strikers up front and two wingers on the wings.

I know what you're thinking: "Recordmeister is either a mad man or a genius."

Well, what can I say... other than cross me, and you'll wake up with an Ox's head in your bed.

For me: Kitson & Smalley / Potter & Williams.

It's hardly cooking pure, blue crystal meth, is it?

Taking this on a complete tangent and with a promise of no spoilers, but given your final line you are obviously a fan. Have you seen Sundays episode (14) "Ozymandias" yet. WOW f*cking WOW. Critics are asking "Is Breaking Bad Ozymandias the single greatest episode of television ever made?" And I tell you what, It's gotta be close.
Taking the tangent a bit further I would argue that Breaking Bad is one long, extended critique of the privatised nature of the American healthcare system. Think about it, right? All that shit he has to do just to get his cancer treatment.
D'ya know, I think I'd PROBABLY let Heisenberg jump the queue if he wanted to come to MY clinic, on reputation alone.

He can be quite the motivator, when he wants to be. Wonder if he likes football?
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Moving away from the thrilling socio-political analysis of an imported American TV "drama", and returning to the more relevant debate about the other pointless saga that dominates our lives:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... erdog_tag/

I know Wilder isn't the best when it comes to dealing with the media, and it's probably unfair to read too much into his quotes, but I do get annoyed when he comes up with utter bollocks like this.

We're seven games into a season. You can't tell anything about a team this early on. Yet, you'd think we were playing a reincarnation of the 1970 Brazil team tomorrow judging by Wilder's quotes.

Chesterfield are "clear favourites". Eh? They're a team in the same division as us, playing at our ground. We are unbeaten this season, one place behind them in the table. Have I missed something? Have Chesterfield just signed Messi and Ronaldo?

“I believe people will be looking at it as an away win". You might be Chris, but I wasn't (until I read this shit).

“I’m not trying to be clever about that or use psychology." Clearly. You should try one, or both preferably.

Playing the underdog card can get you so far. I'm sure it means you can pull off 'good' results against 'top' teams sometimes, but it also breeds an attitude that grabbing a point is good enough. This has been our attitude for too long. This is why we're still in this division. I find three draws in our last four games a worrying stat.

The website that suggested we don't create many chances - (what was the peculiar phrase used?) - proves this. We do not dominate teams. I would much rather we were creating 20 chances a game and scoring 2, rather than creating 5 chances and scoring 2. That would mean we were in control of games, play would be up the other end a lot more, and allowing for 4th division wastefulness of strikers, having 20 shots would give us a much higher chance of one hitting someone's arse and flying in.

Teams that win leagues, or promotions, need a confident swagger, an attitude that says "we will beat you", not "we will sneak a point at home against you".

I would be much happier tomorrow if we went for it. If we play for a point, we will lose.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

To be fair we tend to do pretty well against the top teams.

So I think that CW is OK playing mind games against the top teams as we seem to do OK in those games.

It is building up mid table teams that annoys me more.

I read somewhere that Chesterfield are reputed to have double the budget than we have. Probably rubbish but has anybody else heard this?