Regency town

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Regency town

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Strange game. It was very competitive, with both sides matching each other (and a fair result in the end), but this was diminished by a lack of quality, lack of passing and a whole shed load of long ball.

Cheltenham started the stronger and were well on top for 10 to 15 minutes. We then came back into the game and were perhaps the better side for most of the rest of the first half. Cheltenham started the second period strongly, and then the match became a case of who could control the long ball on a shortish pitch.

Mullins scored the best goal of the game, and if he keeps up his scoring record thus far, he might be useful as a replacement striker!

The best players on the pitch were McGlashan and Jambati (sp?).

Whingy was still out of sorts, Potter never got into the game and kept giving the ball away. Kitson was probably our best player. Raynes did OK. Hall a little better than usual, but we had no width in the game with Davies and Hall supposedly occupying the wide berths, but failing to take on a man even once in the entire game.

Rose was quiet and often muscled off the ball, with the ref failing to make use of the fat lady for quite a few physical challenges.

I assume Smalley was still not fit enough for 90 minutes, otherwise it is very difficult to understand why he didn't start the match. Even so, we were desperate for Potter to play wide, so surely Ty would have been a better option up front.

If we still have injury problems come Saturday, I want to see Wilder making use of 1 or 2 dev players.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Regency town

Post by recordmeister »

I think that would have been an excellent game for the netural. Either side could have won it and, as you say, the result was a fair reflection of the competition.

For me, Harrison was their outstanding player. He caused so many problems in our defence it was untrue. An excellent player who I watched a few times at AFC last season- he'll go a long way in the lower leagues (and Champ), that kid.

Potter: of course he was useless. He was being played down the middle. When will Wilder learn that he's not a forward. And that Davies, nor Hall are wide players. Square pegs in sqaure holes.

The issue for me isn't these players quality on the ball, it is their play off the ball. Many, mnay times when our left / right back went missing (either to help cover the centrebacks or go forward on runs), no one from midfield dropped back to cover those positions, leaving us (yet again) horribly exposed in those areas. That is our major weakness at the moment.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

All I have had to go on is the written reports and FLS highlights. It bothered me that both their goals came from Clarke parrying the ball (right into the path of onrushing forwards) rather than holding onto it (or am I being harsh, keepers out there?) I suppose you could also ask where were the covering defenders, which would tally with RMs observation. As for the possible Cheltenham penalty, assuming the ref saw the ball hit Mullins' hand I can only assume that, because Mullins was stood still and kept his arms down by his side, the ref called it ball-to-hand.

Last week I criticised Kitson for playing ever deeped as the second half against Burton wore on. But then an explanation was offered that seemed perfectly reasonable. Yet nobody seems to be able to come up with a sensible explanation for why CW insists on playing key individuals out of position. Come on Wilder - why? With Chesterfield's attacking ability, we are going to have to score goals next week to stand a chance...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
I assume Smalley was still not fit enough for 90 minutes, otherwise it is very difficult to understand why he didn't start the match. Even so, we were desperate for Potter to play wide, so surely Ty would have been a better option up front.
Thank you GY praise indeed :D
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Not sure we need two separate threads analysing Saturday's game, but since this is the more recent I'll add my thoughts here.

Largely agree with GY's assessment of the match. It was a fair result, and we showed a lot of resilience to come from behind twice but, Mullins' excellent finish aside, there was precious little quality on display. We conceded two very sloppy goals - Clarke was obviously at fault for the first, and Hunt didn't seem to be doing his job properly for the second. I'm not convinced that our full backs are an improvement on last season's incumbents.

We played our only recognised striker (Kitson) BEHIND Alfie Potter for much of the game. I'm not Ty Marsh's biggest fan, but surely it would have been better to play him through the middle, with Kitson taking some of the knocks and winning the ball for him and Alfie out wide to actually provide some service? Especially since Smalley was ready to come off the bench as the game progressed. I really hope Smalley can put his injuries behind him and play 90 minutes regularly, as he looks by far our sharpest player in front of goal these days (something I never thought I'd say).

Where I disagree with GY is on the subject of Danny Rose, who I thought was our best player (again), with Kitson a close second. Rose is my player of the season so far by some distance. He's strong in the challenge and good on the ball. He brings a bit of calm to our midfield play which is much needed.

Having seen a surprisingly high proportion (for me) of our games so far this season, I may now not be able to get to another until Christmas. I'm obviously very pleased by our results and league position, and memories of our fantastic win at Portsmouth will stay with me for a very, very long time. But, Pompey aside, I haven't seen too much to convince me that the quality of our play has improved much from recent seasons. What we do seem to have this year is a strength of character and sense of purpose which has kept us unbeaten and garnered us some extra points along the way. I hope that is what's required to get us promotion from this division, but I have a nagging feeling that we'll need more than that. One thing we'll certainly need is not to lose any more key players to injury. If we're still unbeaten this time next week I'll be absolutely delighted.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Languidly clinical is what Experimental 361 calls us. We have few (just over8 ) shots per game, but make good use of them with a low shots per goal ratio (just over 3 shots for every goal).
Chesterfield are "constant threats", they create lots of chances and are effective at converting them. Over thirteen shots per game, but "only" 7 shots for every goal.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

ty cobb wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:
Thank you GY praise indeed :D
Hehehehe. I like it Ty!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kernow Yellow wrote:Not sure we need two separate threads analysing Saturday's game, but since this is the more recent I'll add my thoughts here.

Largely agree with GY's assessment of the match. It was a fair result, and we showed a lot of resilience to come from behind twice but, Mullins' excellent finish aside, there was precious little quality on display. We conceded two very sloppy goals - Clarke was obviously at fault for the first, and Hunt didn't seem to be doing his job properly for the second. I'm not convinced that our full backs are an improvement on last season's incumbents.

We played our only recognised striker (Kitson) BEHIND Alfie Potter for much of the game. I'm not Ty Marsh's biggest fan, but surely it would have been better to play him through the middle, with Kitson taking some of the knocks and winning the ball for him and Alfie out wide to actually provide some service? Especially since Smalley was ready to come off the bench as the game progressed. I really hope Smalley can put his injuries behind him and play 90 minutes regularly, as he looks by far our sharpest player in front of goal these days (something I never thought I'd say).

Where I disagree with GY is on the subject of Danny Rose, who I thought was our best player (again), with Kitson a close second. Rose is my player of the season so far by some distance. He's strong in the challenge and good on the ball. He brings a bit of calm to our midfield play which is much needed.

Having seen a surprisingly high proportion (for me) of our games so far this season, I may now not be able to get to another until Christmas. I'm obviously very pleased by our results and league position, and memories of our fantastic win at Portsmouth will stay with me for a very, very long time. But, Pompey aside, I haven't seen too much to convince me that the quality of our play has improved much from recent seasons. What we do seem to have this year is a strength of character and sense of purpose which has kept us unbeaten and garnered us some extra points along the way. I hope that is what's required to get us promotion from this division, but I have a nagging feeling that we'll need more than that. One thing we'll certainly need is not to lose any more key players to injury. If we're still unbeaten this time next week I'll be absolutely delighted.
I agree with you about Rose generally this season KY, just not this game, where I felt he was bullied.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Not sure we need two separate threads analysing Saturday's game, but since this is the more recent I'll add my thoughts here.

100% agree with all of this, KY
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

As mentioned on the other thread, Kitson is on four yellows. One more before the New Year and it's a one match suspension.
If he can keep his discipline for Chesterfield and Hartlepool, a tactical foul against Southend would see him miss the JPT game.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

slappy wrote:As mentioned on the other thread, Kitson is on four yellows. One more before the New Year and it's a one match suspension.
If he can keep his discipline for Chesterfield and Hartlepool, a tactical foul against Southend would see him miss the JPT game.
Just as a brief aside...

It's a great idea Slappy, and didn't Beckham famously do just that? (maybe memory fails and he actually got red)...but how would readers go about getting a single yellow card, and at what point in the match in question?

Perhaps a timely shirt tug would be the best bet, but mistiming a tackle of questioning the referee's parentage might be playing with fire somewhat...even a tiny little foul in the wrong part of the pitch could be construed as a professional foul, and may not be worth the risk.

What happens if we're 75 mins into the Southend match, and Kitson has been well-behaved for almost three games....

...how much do we think this would be worth chasing, and what should he do in this circumstance?!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

BigCrompy wrote:
slappy wrote:As mentioned on the other thread, Kitson is on four yellows. One more before the New Year and it's a one match suspension.
Just as a brief aside...

It's a great idea Slappy, and didn't Beckham famously do just that? (maybe memory fails and he actually got red)...but how would readers go about getting a single yellow card, and at what point in the match in question?

Perhaps a timely shirt tug would be the best bet, but mistiming a tackle of questioning the referee's parentage might be playing with fire somewhat...even a tiny little foul in the wrong part of the pitch could be construed as a professional foul, and may not be worth the risk.

What happens if we're 75 mins into the Southend match, and Kitson has been well-behaved for almost three games....

...how much do we think this would be worth chasing, and what should he do in this circumstance?!
Simple, just kick the ball away after the referee has stopped play. If he doesn't book you, do it again at the next opportunity until he does. I think that's how Beckham ensured his yellow.

I think it'll all be academic though, big Dave seems to pick up a yellow a game with some ease.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i thoroughly enjoyed this game, really entertaining stuff. i thought we were going to see a winner for one side or the other. probably cheltenham on the balance of play for the last fifteen minutes.

dr. bob picks up on one thing that struck me - clarke showed a few uncharacteristic mistakes, and several times he didn't hold the ball. that said, i thought the first goal was down to newey and raynes still getting to understand each other in defence. they got that understanding soon after, and after that i thought raynes showed himself to be a more than adequate replacement.

i thought cheltenham looked a very good side and showed good reading of the game to capitalise on the weaknesses they exposed.

this was the first time i was able to see what kitson does close up. god you'd hate to play against him, wouldn't you? constantly pulling, pushing, winding people up... i'm glad he's on our side. and a terrific goal. he, rose, and mullins were my candidates for man of the match. rose's influence on the game lasted for a shorter time than previous games though, so one of mullins or kitson. probably kitson on the basis of what he was asked to do in the game.

will we see some development squad players used more in the next few games? with the current rate of injuries, i think wilder will have no choice. and perhaps that's partly the point.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

slappy wrote:Languidly clinical is what Experimental 361 calls us. We have few (just over8 ) shots per game, but make good use of them with a low shots per goal ratio (just over 3 shots for every goal).
Chesterfield are "constant threats", they create lots of chances and are effective at converting them. Over thirteen shots per game, but "only" 7 shots for every goal.
that is an interesting piece of analysis. and sets out rather well the scale of the challenge we have on saturday.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

It is interesting.

Chesterfield are formidable in defence and a constant threat up top, despite needing tons of efforts before scoring.

Oxford are clinical in front of goal yet restrict chances but can be breached.

So it looks a home-banker to me and we will close the gap to one point. I suspect Callum will come on and set up the winner for Big Dave.