Retained list

Anything yellow and blue
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Retained list

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Going: Luke McCormick, Damian Batt, Michael Duberry, Harry Worley, Liam Davis, Tony Capaldi, Simon Heslop, Peter Leven, Josh Parker, Tom Craddock, Jon-Paul Pittman and Justin Richards

Staying: Andy Whing, Alfie Potter, Max Crocombe, Ty Marsh

Offered deals: Deane Smalley, Scott Davies, Luke O'Brien

Pretty much as expected, although interesting to see both Smalley and O'Brien being offered deals, and Batt going. I still think it's a shame to see Lev go but the right decision I suppose.

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0002 ... 04232.aspx
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: Retained list

Post by Werthers Original »

I think Batt will have said he's off - am sure he'd have been kept otherwise. Surprised we're not keeping Davis and sad to see Pittman off, but I guess fitness was the issue.

Can't believe we're keeping Smalley!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

It's a rebuild job which is good.

I called the departure of Batt. No tears from me.

I'm abivalent about Liam Davis if I'm honest - looks terrific at times but
just not good enough defensively.

CW has dropped enough clues about Smalley lately including Saturday post match.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I am surprised a little that Davis is leaving although he did seem to have a lot of fitness problems last season.

I am disappointed about Batt. It is rumoured that Stevenage maybe after him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a higher Division.

O'Brien? Surely he would only be a back up? Smalley- very surprised. With Beano and Marsh signed on, I guess there was room for 2 strikers. Smalley being one of them is a surprise (unless CW is looking to sell beano?)

CW has to get the CB, creative midfield player and striker decision right ....
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Bit disappointed about Pittman hasn't really worked out due to fitness, but I'll miss his amazing ability to jump! The combination of unfitness and formation didn't really show him in best light. I'm less disappointed than many will be about Batt ... I always felt that his defensive positioning tended to create problems and, while he potentially potent going forward, his prime function is to defend. Smalley, again I'm probably less unhappy than many about this - his holdup play is better than Beano's, he does a lot of work off the ball and I thought he had a pretty strong finish to the season, given a run in the side - something that many of the fans with minds made up in advance may not have noticed. Do we have a new left back lined up, do you think? O'Brien's OK, but a bit limited and one dimensional.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

&quothe does a lot of work off the ball&quot ....... Typically, I find that a polite way of saying: &quotRuns around a lot and contributes sod all&quot
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Anyone know what has happened to Montrose? And whether Chappers has gone?
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I believe that a deal was made such that if Mansfield went up Chapman is sold to Mansfield.

Would assume that Montrose has gone. Was he just on loan?
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:&quothe does a lot of work off the ball&quot ....... Typically, I find that a polite way of saying: &quotRuns around a lot and contributes sod all&quot
Quite. Like others, I'm surprised about Batt and Davis, but even moreso by Smalley! I'm guessing at least some of the above were offered reduced terms and (understandably) declined. Wouldn't surprise me if Smalley was one who accepted.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Wow. So we've got rid of our two best strikers and kept hold of our distinctly average ones. Not surprised by the first bit but disappointed, and frankly amazed we've kept Smalley on. We desperately need to sign some decent forwards.

Gutted about Liam Davis too - after Jake Wright, he was our best footballer imo. Odd that he's being let go but we're interested in keeping O'Brien - the latter is ok as a squad player, but Liam is by far the better left back. But he has had a lot of time out with injury I guess.

Given that we keep being told that we're 'nearly there' and 'not far away' in terms of what's needed to make the play-offs, it seems strange that we're basically starting from scratch again. Wilder's going to need to work some magic in the transfer market.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

It will keep a long summer interesting - that's for sure.

Davis has been plagued by injuries and I am curious to see
Where he will end up. CW has got a busy ten weeks or so before pre-season
starts again.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

I am disappointed by Davis and JPP going but, like AColi, happy about Smalley.

I hope that CW intends to play Potter in the hole and signs a decent right winger who can cross the ball, which would be an improvement on relying on the Batt overlap which rarely worked.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Stunned that Smalley has been offered a new deal. Cow's arse, banjo forward. One of the worst forwards that the club has ever signed based on his performances thus far. I just hope his new deal is for washing the kit rather than playing. But this is precisely why Lenagan should have sacked Wilder, Wilder doesn't have a clue when it comes to scoring goals.

Disappointed by the decisions on Liam Davis and Damien Batt. Both by far the best left and right backs we have had at the club for years, especially adding extra in attack. The only sensible reason I can think of for their departure would be if Wilder had finally decided to stop pissing about with the formation, and go with 4-4-2 and dedicated full backs, or if they were on big money and had refused a wage cut. I can't think of any other reason to justify these decisions otherwise.

Very pleased that Davies has been offered a deal.

The rest as expected and no bad thing either. All had proved themselves to be injury prone and/or not good enough or consistent enough.

Now with a bit of luck Smalley will refuse his new contract and we can get some decent strikers in.

As others have said, Wilder has a great deal of hard work to do to rebuild large parts of the squad in a short space of time.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Can't believe Smalley. Terrible decision. He offers nothing. Very surprised about O'Brien too.

Sad about Davis, Batt and Pittman, although I can understand Pittman's injuries counting against him in our financially challenged times.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Stunned that Smalley has been offered a new deal. Cow's arse, banjo forward. One of the worst forwards that the club has ever signed based on his performances thus far. I just hope his new deal is for washing the kit rather than playing. But this is precisely why Lenagan should have sacked Wilder, Wilder doesn't have a clue when it comes to scoring goals.

Disappointed by the decisions on Liam Davis and Damien Batt. Both by far the best left and right backs we have had at the club for years, especially adding extra in attack. The only sensible reason I can think of for their departure would be if Wilder had finally decided to stop pissing about with the formation, and go with 4-4-2 and dedicated full backs, or if they were on big money and had refused a wage cut. I can't think of any other reason to justify these decisions otherwise.

Very pleased that Davies has been offered a deal.

The rest as expected and no bad thing either. All had proved themselves to be injury prone and/or not good enough or consistent enough.

Now with a bit of luck Smalley will refuse his new contract and we can get some decent strikers in.

As others have said, Wilder has a great deal of hard work to do to rebuild large parts of the squad in a short space of time.
Agree with most of that especially about Batt and Davies, best full backs I've seen at Oxford for many a year, I imagine Batt has something else lined up due to all the pissing about with Wilder - a consequence of the uncertainty. Shame to see another promotion winner let go as well, not many left now are there.

Also a shame to see Leven go, one of our best players, a class above this division when fit. I take the point he's not been fit much but we've been paying a lot of money to get him fixed and ready for next season, seems a bit daft to let someone else benefit from that.

Don't understand the Smalley decision, he will be on decent money and hasn't done enough to justify being kept on - compare the service Batt has given us over the last few seasons to what Smalley has done, yet Batt isn't offered a new deal.

Very interesting summer lies ahead, if Wilder struggles next season making a change will be expensive as another overhaul will be required, a new manager would certainly have had enough scope to bring in their own players now, not sure they will at Christmas.