Wow

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Certainly agree that Corcoran has made a huge difference to Gilchrist.

Don't agree that Day should play left back instead of right back. For me it is crucial that a side has balance and having 3 natural left footers in yesterdays team allowed them to interchange positions quickly.

Early in the first half I criticised Smith for letting Foster take corners from the right instead of Burgess (who amaingly was sent back to half way line with Danny Rose to act as our 'defence'). Foster soon justified that decision using the wind to put in some excellent set pieces. In the second half though, without the wind, he didn't do as well.

Julian certainly had a 'worldie', thought Yemi's and Rose's shots were both a bit high.

Good crowd, with performances like that we could be getting up into 7K's before long.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Johnsons best game since he has come back from injury and on that performance should be first pick for that position.

Matty Day took five minutes to get up to speed but then looked OK and he does score goals unlike Quinn.

As has been said many times, this squad cries out to play in a 442 and the improvement in Eddie proves this, such a shame Jimbo took so long to realise it.

Duffy continues to frustrate with his lazy attitude but you can't question his record this season.

For me the most worrying thing was Jims post match interview when he admitted he doesn't know how many games are left. Mickey Mouse stuff and just the sort of detail that DP would pay attention to.

The conundrum now is how do we fit Pettefer into the team.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotscooter&quot wrote: The conundrum now is how do we fit Pettefer into the team.
And what a great conundrum to have. The feeling when he came on as sub yesterday was one of relief - yep, this game is well and truly in the bag now.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Steady on chaps, we played well and could have had five, but Stevenage were poor and missing their goalscorer (their fans seem to agree, see their board). It was all a bit slow and wouldn't have been so easy against a team with more threat up front. But should be good enough to get us into the playoffs in the pole position.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Not an easy descision, but I think with the way the team is now it's getting like that for almost every position, which is what Jim means about our strength in squad.

As they are playing well I'd stick with Foster and Rose in the middle and then have Pettifer there as back-up exactly as he did on Saturday. It also sends a signal out to the players of 'have an off day and someone will be there to take your place and you might not get it back'. This type of competition can only be good for the performances in my opinion.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Steady on chaps, we played well and could have had five, but Stevenage were poor and missing their goalscorer (their fans seem to agree, see their board). It was all a bit slow and wouldn't have been so easy against a team with more threat up front. But should be good enough to get us into the playoffs in the pole position.
I thought Stevenage looked to be a good side trying to play passing football - look how the keeper was always trying to play it short to the left back, or if he was marked, one of the central defenders - it was just that we were particularly impressive on the day. We didn't let them play. So what if their leading scorer was out, we snuffed out any threat before they were able to create anything for a finisher, they may or may not have had on the pitch.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Steady on chaps, we played well and could have had five, but Stevenage were poor and missing their goalscorer (their fans seem to agree, see their board). It was all a bit slow and wouldn't have been so easy against a team with more threat up front. But should be good enough to get us into the playoffs in the pole position.
Can't agree with this. Sure they were missing an influential player, but they've been on hot form. We made them look poor. We rarely gave the ball away so their lack of posession made them look poor. Come on chaps give us credit when we deserve it.

To comment on a couple of other points, Johnson looked better because he wasn't required to have much of an attacking element to his play. Another benefit of 4-4-2.

I agree duffy would usually have scored one of the chances that he missed and judging by his reaction, he knew it too. But his all round play was really improved on previous weeks. The partnership between him and Yemi is starting to get an understanding.

I'm still uncertain of Matt Day. He can be a bit naiive and commit himself to the tackle to early, and he has a lack of pace, but maybe that's just because we've come so used to accomplished performances from Quinny. But that really is nit picking.

Robinson at least put in the leg work when he came on, which hurried the defenders into giving the ball away. I couldn't see him scoring in a brothel though. (Another one for the chants thread!).
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Stevenage were missing 2 midfielders (Guppy being one) as well as Morrison, so they may be the form team recently, but we weren't exactly playing against the full strength attacking side. The performance was very good though.

Our midfield was excellent, as others said we benefitted from missing Hargreaves, if he wins the ball he tends to just kick it as hard as he can in the direction he's facing, but Rose and Foster won tackles and passed it well. I still think that against a more direct, physical side who play the ball in the air a lot we might struggle with the tiny central midfield, but Stevenage to their credit (or perhaps stupidity seeing as they weren't very good at it) were determined to pass the ball properly and it suited us.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

when was the last time loan players made such a positive difference to our season?
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Really got the impression on Satuday that we have turned the corner...even though I had to leave two minutes into the match (is this a record btw?)

The players were (Monsieur Cliche) buzzing before kick off, the pre-match warm up was more intense than any other I'd seen, the doom and gloom I witnessed when filming the last Conference Call had completely gone. When I left the ground at 3.02 to go to work, I knew we were going to win.

Can't see the Daggers blowing it now, (and the football fan in me will take great comfort if they get promoted and Boston get relegated), but at least we should go into the play-offs with a team that looks like it can win them.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I thought the main difference today was for the first time maybe this season a team came to the Kassam to play some football and not keep 10 behind the ball and try and break up the game with niggly fouls and time wasting.

On a decent pitch we've shown we can comprehensively outplay a very useful team when they don't come to settle for a point.

Very pleasing indeed.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:when was the last time loan players made such a positive difference to our season?
Did Paul Gerrard keep us up?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:
&quotMatt D&quot wrote:when was the last time loan players made such a positive difference to our season?
Did Paul Gerrard keep us up?
No. We went down that year.