Tamworth

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Tamworth

Post by Baboo »

Worst away ground of the season?
Worst playing surface of the season?
Decent first half performance. Deserved to be 2 up.
Second half – why did we let an awful team have most of the ball?
Corcoran grows in stature every game. What a difference he makes.
Hargreaves battling is just what is needed is such circumstances and surroundings.
Yemi’s pace is such a potent threat.
Anaclet is a better right sided midfielder than wing back.
Gavin Johnson is a much better full back than wing back. I am starting to like the way he plays in that position. Four four two rocks.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Agreed. Special mention too for Foster who's work and organisation in midfield was amazing.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Can't disagree with any of that, baboo.

I would go further, though, and say that, with the possible exception of Marlow, that was the worst ground that I've ever seen Oxford play at in a competitive fixture.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

How lazy was Duffy when taking that penalty? He deliberately ran up slowly to conserve energy and then waited for the keeper to dive one way so that he didn't have to kick the ball very hard to beat him. I'm just pleased that there wasn't a rebound because clearly the energy needed to reach it would have been beyond him.

For Duffy detractors - he still hasn't missed one. Others have tried and failed........
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Yemi was the star of the show yesterday until Jim Smith decided to take him out of the game and isolate him wide on the left and miles away from Anaclet who he had been working well with inn the first half.

I'm not sure if I agree about Johnson. He's OK defensively but coming forward his distribution, decision making and pace is awful. On at least 3 occasions he found himself in space with plenty of time to put a good ball forward but misplaced the pass.

Day did well as a replacement for Quinn at right back though. Nothing spectacular but worked very hard under a lot of pressure with a fussy ref in the second half.

Funniest moment of the game for me was Turley sprinting to take the goal kick after being booked a few minutes earlier for time wasting.

As for Duffy yes he's a great penalty taker but it was his only shot in a game where we dominated the first half.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Sorry folks,I am beginning to get really pissy at Oxford fans moaning about our opponents ground.

How 'ManUre' we are all getting.

When the Manor was a 'top' league ground it was so because we earnt it on the pitch.

This season we are getting what we have earnt on the pitch. The playing surface was certainly superior to any Layer Road surface I saw.

Just enjoy the humour of our surroundings when we visit places like St Albans. And reflect how important yellow seats really are.

End of the day we played well but were lucky we got away with another tactical blunder.

Yemi's first goal, after a great run, was a diabolcal shot ,going nowhere before the deflection.

The penalty was well worked and well taken.

But as Mally raises, what the flip was Jim doing when he moved Yemi wide left in a 4-5-1 formation at the start of the second half. He offered nothing much defensively and meant we had no attacking threat. This allowed Tamworth to push defenders forward and apply pressure.

I also thought that Yemi was clear MOTM.

Hargreaves disrupted well and was needed on such a surface.

Anaclet was lively when Yemi gave him options. I was hoping Pettefer would play wide right but Eddie did ok.

Rose was poor. Burgess made more telling passes in his few minutes on the pitch.

Duffers won a lot of headers, his chest down for the penalty was class.

Not surprisingly I agree with Mally about Day as well (must have been stood near me Mally). He looked strong and assured. Certainly worth a try at left back.

Still, we are winning again and another 6 or 7 wins on the trot and we might put pressure on Daggers.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Sorry folks,I am beginning to get really pissy at Oxford fans moaning about our opponents ground.

Conference grounds have a certain charm and we cannot expect to go to places that resemble the Emirates every week but there are limits &amp these limits were stretched beyond breaking point yesterday IMHO. Toilets substandard. View substandard. Playing surface substandard.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:Sorry folks,I am beginning to get really pissy at Oxford fans moaning about our opponents ground.

Conference grounds have a certain charm and we cannot expect to go to places that resemble the Emirates every week but there are limits &amp these limits were stretched beyond breaking point yesterday IMHO. Toilets substandard. View substandard. Playing surface substandard.
Oh come on.

My view was perfectly clear. Two steps from the back of the terrace. The stepheight and depth was totally acceptable to me.

The toilets were clean and useable. Ok, there was only four places to pee, but the queue never took more than about 5 minutes (unless you went at half time after the whistle).

The playing surface was the correct size. Nowhere in the rules of football does it state you have to provide bowling green playing surfaces.

And the goalmouth was nothing like Grays (or Woking if my memory is correct).

You will be expecting real ale at half time next Baboo.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:[
You will be expecting real ale at half time next Baboo.
Now there's a thought.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I've not much to add, but I'm going to anyway, I think our first 2 goals killed the game really. Tamworth looked unsurprisingly short of confidence and after a flurry at the start of the 2nd half never really looked like they were going to score.

I'd agree with everyone else that playing Yemi wide left in the 2nd half really didn't work. Day did well at right back but I thought we really missed Quinn in an attacking sense - we seemed to keep that ball better before he was injured. I would have preferred Pettefer to come on and Anaclet to move to right back, but seeing as we were 2-0 up by then it made sense to go for the more defensively sound option.

As for Tamworth, it wasn't a particularly pleasant ground, but I had no problems viewing - I wouldn't have wanted to try and get a cup of tea at half time since I was over in the far left of the terrace, but as someone mentioned above, Oxford fans have short memories regarding football grounds.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:This season we are getting what we have earnt on the pitch. The playing surface was certainly superior to any Layer Road surface I saw.
And the view was better than that from the away end at Layer Road too. Mind you, Layer Road is a shocking ground.

I'm certainly not moaning about The Lamb - I love going to places like Tamworth, it's what makes the Conference fun. But I'd be hard pressed to disagree that it's the worst ground I've seen Oxford play in, in terms of facilities and stands. My garden shed is actually substantially wider than the roof over that away terrace.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:This season we are getting what we have earnt on the pitch. The playing surface was certainly superior to any Layer Road surface I saw.
And the view was better than that from the away end at Layer Road too. Mind you, Layer Road is a shocking ground.

I'm certainly not moaning about The Lamb - I love going to places like Tamworth, it's what makes the Conference fun. But I'd be hard pressed to disagree that it's the worst ground I've seen Oxford play in, in terms of facilities and stands. My garden shed is actually substantially wider than the roof over that away terrace.
I'm told that St Albans' ground will make Tamworth seem like luxury.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

What made me laugh was how the roof sloped down onto the crowd so whilst it kept the rain off some people it just all gathered and run down to get the people unlucky enough to be under it. I far more enjoy going to a ground like that then somewhere like Scunthorpe or Chester which are just boring with no character - nothing beats a packed terrace close to the pitch when two goals go in at that end.

Performance wise Coccoran at the back has transformed our season he was brilliant again. Am at a loss to why Yemi was stuck out on the left away from Eddie their pace was causing their back line no end of problems.

Rose did ok I thought his control shows him to be a player from a higher level, Hargreaves bobbled one out of touch and then a minute later Rose brought down a high ball and laid it off with little effort. Saying that we need Hargreaves in a game like that and I though him and Foster kept Tamworth away from our defence.

I thought Duffy and one of his poorer games yesterday but he did score a pen after laying off the ball to Yemi with a fantastic chest. There were also very little balls into the box for him to get on the end off which is what he is good at.

Just a shame Daggers won.
x586
Brat

Home end

Post by x586 »

Watched the game from the home end behind the goal due to no ticket. Nice and quiet for the most part, with plenty of comment on the refereeing. Amusing that at half-time, various angry old men moved over to the catering hatch (in the same building as the changing rooms) and shouted things like &quotF*ck off Oxford, you arnt in the league no more&quot and other niceties at the players as they trooped off ...

I'll echo the comments above - thought Corcorran was excellent, as was Foster. Also thought that Ancelet and Odubade had a menace about them all afternoon. The ground, barring a roof over the home terrace behind the goal, didn't strike me as much different to the Manor - the flat-roofed clubhouse, a supporter's shop in a wooden hut, various skips lying around and the vandalised adverts for the local Ford dealership ('Ga' having being removed on one, the other having been attacked with a hammer by the look of it).
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow
I'm told that St Albans' ground will make Tamworth seem like luxury.[/quote]

Can't wait - I feel a good old moan coming on already.