Lee Holmes

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Lee Holmes

Post by Baboo »

Another forward signed on loan.

Southampton season ticket holder contact tells me, &quotI rate him. A tricky direct winger with pace. Opportunities limited of late due to a series of long term injuries. Could do well with a run in the team.&quot
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

4 strikers on loan now?

Let's hope a couple pay off as this is an extremely important next month.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Let's hope a couple pay off as this is an extremely important next month.
Well that was a good start, Johnson scored and I think Kerrouche would have been MOM if he had longer on the pitch. He had pace, guile and commitment and won the ball that Constable tucked away. He looks a good signing on what we have seen so far.

I don't think Beano deserved MOM, he'd done very little until he stuck the ball in the net, I think Jake Wright deserved it more.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Let's hope a couple pay off as this is an extremely important next month.
Well that was a good start, Johnson scored and I think Kerrouche would have been MOM if he had longer on the pitch. He had pace, guile and commitment and won the ball that Constable tucked away. He looks a good signing on what we have seen so far.

I don't think Beano deserved MOM, he'd done very little until he stuck the ball in the net, I think Jake Wright deserved it more.
The sponsors man-of-the-match award seems to depend entirely on how much they have had to drink - in this case evidently they were sloshed and could only remember the winning goal...
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotOUFC_Gav&quot wrote:The sponsors man-of-the-match award seems to depend entirely on how much they have had to drink - in this case evidently they were sloshed and could only remember the winning goal...
Which is basically what happens everytime!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quottheox&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC_Gav&quot wrote:The sponsors man-of-the-match award seems to depend entirely on how much they have had to drink - in this case evidently they were sloshed and could only remember the winning goal...
Which is basically what happens everytime!
Exactly. I remember back in the good old Manor days when a few of the sponsors party were sat near us in the Beech Road - scraps of paper were passed around and a few pissed up people had trouble remembering the names on any of the players let alone deciding on a MoTM. Writing proved quite difficult too.

It's a farce but everyone has to play along because we need the sponsors dosh and we can't go upsetting them.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

And yes, it should have been Jake Wright of course.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Why did Wilder play Holmes on the right and Johnson on the left when that means they have to cross with their weaker foot? Holmes was looking to cut inside at every opportunity.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Why did Wilder play Holmes on the right and Johnson on the left when that means they have to cross with their weaker foot? Holmes was looking to cut inside at every opportunity.
Perhaps his intel was that their keeper was good at crosses and a poor shot stopper?
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

Didnt Joey play on the wrong wing?
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

Didnt Joey play on the wrong wing?

He did much of the time and I thought that was when he was at his best. From memory he played on the right wing for almost all of his first spell (Chris Allen on opposite flank). Then when he came back and we got promoted didn't he play on the left as Stuart Massey or Bobby Ford were on the right (but they were playing tighter rather than as out and out wingers).

Then with the arrival of the young Paul Powell he went back to the right.

Or is my memory shot?

Anyway, those were the days...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotdr ceri&quot wrote:Didnt Joey play on the wrong wing?

Then when he came back and we got promoted didn't he play on the left ...
I think that was mainly cos he enjoyed working with Wayne Hatswell on the overlap......maybe?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

My recollection (far from reliable) is that Joey started the vast majority of games on the left wing, but would often switch flanks during the match. I think he may even have had a 'free' role for a while?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Yes but Joey could cross equally well with either foot. Holmes can't - he only tried to cross with his right once and whilst it was ok, it was nothing like the whipped in balls with his left. Any decent full back (or maybe a Brizzle spy on Tuesday night) will work this out sharpish.

Just seems odd.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

Post by pottersrightboot »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Yes but Joey could cross equally well with either foot. Holmes can't - he only tried to cross with his right once and whilst it was ok, it was nothing like the whipped in balls with his left. Any decent full back (or maybe a Brizzle spy on Tuesday night) will work this out sharpish.

Just seems odd.
I liked Holmes. I bet Wilder will have him switching wings during games in any event.