Constable Gone?

Anything yellow and blue
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

If he is going, please let it be quick.

We had 3 pretty good years from Beano - he's 27, and if he has the chance to earn a decent wedge, good luck to him.

I don't buy the hysteria on 'the other place' about our local rivals - I'm not sure that it is relevant : it is a commercial decision by the club. KT is not stupid.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

If he goes, I wonder if there will be a clause that he can't play against us this season. Might be sensible all round.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I hope the figure's high, although that doesn't feel like it matters at the mo' :( The two figures I've heard are £250k and £400k, neither of which would really cushion the blow for me. I would have wanted &gt£800k but then I don't know much about fees at this level. I've also heard that we're sniffing aroung Donaldson, so at least that's a proven League 2 goal scorer, but I doubt it's at a very advanced stage, if at all.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re: Constable Gone?

Post by OUFC_Gav »

Beano just tweeted:
Can't believe some of the things that have been wrote about me on here today, get the facts straight before levelling abuse!! #gutted
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

£500K is wishful thinking. More likely to be between £200-250K, possibly as high as £300K.

I won't be too bothered if he goes so long as we get in a decent replacement.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotOUFC_Gav&quot wrote:Beano just tweeted:
Can't believe some of the things that have been wrote about me on here today, get the facts straight before levelling abuse!! #gutted
Interesting. Why people think that giving him stick BEFORE HE'S EVEN GONE ANYWHERE will persuade him to stay, I don't know. We really do have some morons in our ranks, sadly.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Probably not the time to correct his grammar then? It's written, James, written.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:I hope the figure's high, although that doesn't feel like it matters at the mo' :( The two figures I've heard are £250k and £400k, neither of which would really cushion the blow for me. I would have wanted &gt£800k but then I don't know much about fees at this level. I've also heard that we're sniffing aroung Donaldson, so at least that's a proven League 2 goal scorer, but I doubt it's at a very advanced stage, if at all.
We very much wanted Donaldson this summer. But he, understandably chose a L1 club. Great goal scoring record at Crewe but at Brentford just 5 goals in 23 starts. And he is 28 next month. Older than Beano by 8 mths. (Not that that has got much relevance).
My concern is that we have not got the coaching ability at the club to get the best out of or improve any striker we bring in. (Hopefully WHU don't see it that way). I reckon we ought to employ John Aldridge one day a week to have a word.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I very much hope he tells them to fuck right off. I can't really understand why he would want to go, unless it is wholly down to money. He is at a club where he is regarded well (even if some of our fans don't appreciate him), he has the realistic chance to become the club's all time goalscorer, and he plays for a sensible manager pretty much week in week out. Why risk that to get vitriol poured on him by us, not be guaranteed a starting berth and play for a lunatic Nazi?

If he had gone to Bournemouth or decides to go to Millwall or wherever then good luck to him, but this will leave him as an all-time villain rather than a potential club legend.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:If he is going, please let it be quick.

I don't buy the hysteria on 'the other place' about our local rivals - I'm not sure that it is relevant : it is a commercial decision by the club. KT is not stupid.
I dont agree with that. If he were to be sold to Bournemouth then fine. But in my view him going to SWin*** will be a much larger blow to most of the supporters.

It would certaibnly lead to a much more negative feel around the supporters in my view.

The fee beign banded about in teh Swind** local press seems to be £175K up to £200K on promotion.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:I very much hope he tells them to fuck right off. I can't really understand why he would want to go, unless it is wholly down to money. He is at a club where he is regarded well (even if some of our fans don't appreciate him), he has the realistic chance to become the club's all time goalscorer, and he plays for a sensible manager pretty much week in week out. Why risk that to get vitriol poured on him by us, not be guaranteed a starting berth and play for a lunatic Nazi?

If he had gone to Bournemouth or decides to go to Millwall or wherever then good luck to him, but this will leave him as an all-time villain rather than a potential club legend.
I couldn't really agree more. On Rad Ox they just said bbc Wiltshere understand it's £170k maybe rising to £200k, that just makes it worse, that's no where near enough!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Why? What's been tweeted about Beano today?

I'm trying to be level-headed about all this, but I worry that selling our best striker to any promotion rival, let alone Slumdon, would be a risky bit of business. If this all goes through and they get promoted and we don't, that would be a lot of ammunition for disgruntled fans to level at the club - lacking ambition etc. Of course, if we went on to get promotion and they didn't, then it would be seen as a fantastic bit of business. But it's a big risk.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
Why? What's been tweeted about Beano today?

I'm trying to be level-headed about all this, but I worry that selling our best striker to any promotion rival, let alone s*****n, would be a risky bit of business. If this all goes through and they get promoted and we don't, that would be a lot of ammunition for disgruntled fans to level at the club - lacking ambition etc. Of course, if we went on to get promotion and they didn't, then it would be seen as a fantastic bit of business. But it's a big risk.
And the third option: we DON'T sell NOR gain promotion. Then we're left with no money and another start in L2.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Really strange situation as I've just seen the SMS to my 'phone.

I really wanted it to be another club !

He will go this time and good wishes to him - he's been great for us
but I think he has many limitations in his game and he has struggled for 12 months If I am being honest.

Could be a super signing for Slumdon but I would not bank on it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

The numbers being discussed of £250k to £400k are too low.

I think Beano is a £500k || striker anyway, even without the matter of the bidding club being a promotion rival.

Agreeing to sell our top striker for the last 3 years, to one of our main rivals for promotion, is bonkers, unless it is for silly money. Unless it is for really serious money, it is little better than handing our potential promotion place to them, and Wilder and Thomas will lose a lot of credibility and goodwill for this if it happens.