Slumdon Preview

Anything yellow and blue
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Good work, as ever.

For some reason, over the last 24 hours my attitude towards this game has changed.

Earlier in the week, I was of the opinion that 'It isn't the same as it was years ago/there are only 3 points at stake etc etc'.

Reading blogs and other posts, the memories are coming back. I went to our very first game at the C**nty Ground as a small boy with my Dad. I was there in 1973 having started the day in the Roebuck (is it still there ?) at 1030am before going to the Golden Palace in George Street for lunch and then piling into a minibus - pissed - for the trip.

I've been to most of the games there since - I remember being quite pleased when Eric Read was 'coined' and I'm not proud of that today.

Might need Boris to help here, but according to my dear departed Dad the real reason for the dislike of these neanderthal tossers is that when we were pissing the Southern League and trying to join the big boys, Slumdon voted to re-elect the likes of Gateshead and Hartlepools rather than cast their vote in favour of their neighbours.

Can't stand them. Hate the colour red and before now have actually travelled home from the West Country via M5 Gloucester specifically to avoid Wiltshire on the M4.

When I used to work, I was invited to a meeting and found out beforehand that a known Scummer would be at the same meeting. I sent someone else to take my place. He wasn't happy, because he is a Gillingham fan and they hate them as much as we do but I was the boss and didn't see the point in having power unless you abuse it.

Come on You Yellows !
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

Easter Monday, 1979. My Dad took me to my first ever game and it happened to be against Slumdon. Poor bloke didn't really know his way around The Manor, and we ended up trying to get from Osler Road to the Beech Road stand via the narrow path behind the away end...

... a quick turn around as the Slumdon fans suddenly appeared en route to the turnstiles!