Rushden

Anything yellow and blue
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Rushden

Post by Belgian Yellow »

Have been expelled from the Conference and will probably be wound up on Monday.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

One more casualty and Alty will get their annual reprieve.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Ah, jolly good.

The most apt punishment I can think of for having a silly name.

More pertinently, another soulless club of upstarts that I can't imagine anyone outside of Irthlingborough will miss.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:Ah, jolly good.

More pertinently, another soulless club of upstarts that I can't imagine anyone outside of Irthlingborough will miss.
Totally disagree.

We've had some great games with them over they years - er that 5-0 defeat anyone- they have a decent bunch of supporters and the current owners - not the supporters trust - decided they'd had enough.

It's always sad when a football club dies.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

It seems a folly trying to create a football club out of nothing when either the fans or the backers can't sustain it for more than 15 years. Why did Max Griggs think two villages like Irthlingborough and Rushden could sustain a full time club even with the stadium and facilities behind them, when there is an established club like Kettering within miles, and there were clubs like Northampton / Peterborough / Luton also within say 1/2 an hour? Similarly Histon, Lewes and dare I say it Wimbledon. They all get found out and drop back down to their natural level. Milton Keynes were in the odd situation of being a big new town created from nothing so the potential fans are there but the history is not.

I wonder what would happen if say Abingdon Town and City were merged and put into a new ground say on the other side of Tescos. Perhaps for a few years they would have a ride up to the Conference, but I guess the new fans from outside of the town would then revert back to Didcot, Oxford City, Oxford United.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:

Totally disagree.

We've had some great games with them over they years - er that 5-0 defeat anyone- they have a decent bunch of supporters and the current owners - not the supporters trust - decided they'd had enough.

Agreed, Franchise excepted.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:

Totally disagree.

Agreed, Franchise excepted.
Thirded.

Going back to Alty (aka Houdini FC) then Wrexham are still chewing over ownership issues (and Welsh) so you just never know.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

You must forgive me if I profess no great love for a club essentially created when a magnate transiently decided football was trendy. Their relative plenty just smacks of unfairness and there can be no doubt their rise was at the expense of the Corbys and Ketterings of the world.

Now, Wrexham I would truly mourn the passing of and hope that NEVER happens - their supporters have been truly through the ringer, without any sugar daddy to bankroll them.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:You must forgive me if I profess no great love for a club essentially created when a magnate transiently decided football was trendy. Their relative plenty just smacks of unfairness and there can be no doubt their rise was at the expense of the Corbys and Ketterings of the world.

Now, Wrexham I would truly mourn the passing of and hope that NEVER happens - their supporters have been truly through the ringer, without any sugar daddy to bankroll them.
Just out of interest, does that mean you believe that OUFC should not have been able to reach the top division under Maxwell, or won the League Cup?

It strikes me that there is little difference between OUFC reaching the top flight, and R&ampD working their way into the league from the bottom step of the pyramid. If anything, their position is more sound as their sugar daddy gifted most of the money that he used to bankroll the club and he invested in their structure so they had decent facilities. Ours stole the cash from some pensioners, then loaned it to OUFC, eventually almost causing the club to go brankrupt several times as a reuslt, and causing many local suppliers to lose money, whilst not investing in the structure of the club and stadium, and at the same time using our club's assets to subsidise Derby County.

When it glass houses, it's best not to throw stones.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:You must forgive me if I profess no great love for a club essentially created when a magnate transiently decided football was trendy. Their relative plenty just smacks of unfairness and there can be no doubt their rise was at the expense of the Corbys and Ketterings of the world.

Just out of interest, does that mean you believe that OUFC should not have been able to reach the top division under Maxwell, or won the League Cup?

It strikes me that there is little difference between OUFC reaching the top flight, and R&ampD working their way into the league from the bottom step of the pyramid. If anything, their position is more sound as their sugar daddy gifted most of the money that he used to bankroll the club and he invested in their structure so they had decent facilities. Ours stole the cash from some pensioners, then loaned it to OUFC, eventually almost causing the club to go brankrupt several times as a reuslt, and causing many local suppliers to lose money, whilst not investing in the structure of the club and stadium, and at the same time using our club's assets to subsidise Derby County.

Well said GY. Crompy don't really get your vitriol. It is always bad to see a football club die!
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

have been hearing rumours about stockport county ,so alty could still get their annual reprieve
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotwomble&quot wrote:have been hearing rumours about stockport county ,so alty could still get their annual reprieve
Stock pot have been on the brink for a while. I hope they survive (and sort out their ploughed field of a pitch).
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

Sorry, but that's not a good comparison.

Oxford United, founded 1893 and struggled honestly for the next 115 years (record signing in the Maxwell era some UKP85K for Aldridge) vs Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds, cobbled together in 1992 to the detriment of local clubs Peterborough, Northampton, Kettering, Corby etc, stuck in a sterile, soulless new ground in a car park....and achieved their 'success' in the manner of Crawley Town, buying up anyone locally in sight. They then overspent and plummeted.

Two points in my defence, gentleman 1) this really isn't 'vitriol', merely a light-hearted jibe at the expense of another club that I simply don't like. I'm quite sure we all have them! (Incidentally I also have bizarre soft spots for some of our rivals that a true Oxford fan really shouldn't and would draw criticism for - Bristol Rovers for one). 2) The latest Beeb report at least states quite clearly that the club haven't died at all, and are seeking a place in next year's Southern League at some point. Best place for them, is all.

ABSOLUTELY concur about glass houses though, hence my genuine concern for Wrexham and Stockport - now they WOULD be missed.
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

I'm not sure they did overspend in the early days. They had Max Griggs giving the club money. It wasn't a loan, so it can't have been an overspend. From what I read on other forums, the club was given to the supporter's trust without debt, in fact with a £750k gift.

Only since the income stream from Griggs dried up have they failed to match income and expenditure.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotbspittles&quot wrote:I'm not sure they did overspend in the early days. They had Max Griggs giving the club money. It wasn't a loan, so it can't have been an overspend. From what I read on other forums, the club was given to the supporter's trust without debt, in fact with a £750k gift.

Only since the income stream from Griggs dried up have they failed to match income and expenditure.
Couple of issues here - &quotgiving the club money&quot is all fine and dandy until said benefactor stops giving the club money. If a club relies on these gifts for survival and progression it is obvious that when the gifts dry up plummetting in financial oblivion is the only course. Gretna being possibly the best example.
Secondly - I have never been fully convinced that supporter's trusts are the answer. Didn't the supporters run Stockport not too long ago? I believe they made some pretty bad decisions. I don't know the details but this is what a Stockport supporting mate told me.