Pre-season friendlies

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:SmileyMan - I don't think the two are analogous. And surely even you must be just a tiny bit impressed by what AFC Wimbledon have achieved.
For establishing that fan-run clubs are a viable proposition at a professional level, they've blazed a trail that I think we'll all be grateful for in 50 years time.

Otherwise, I feel it's fair to split the amount of passion I used to feel for Wimbledon FC exactly equally between their two descendents. So both AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons get exactly 50% of fuck all each.
Mark Sennett
Brat

Re:

Post by Mark Sennett »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Do OxVox have a stance on this?
We have been in contact with OUFC and they have told us that they spoke with AFC Wimbledon before confirming the fixture and AFC had no problem with OUFC playing this fixture. Furthermore the club were keen to stress that that we have an excellent relationship with AFC Wimbledon.
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotMark Sennett&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Do OxVox have a stance on this?
We have been in contact with OUFC and they have told us that they spoke with AFC Wimbledon before confirming the fixture and AFC had no problem with OUFC playing this fixture. Furthermore the club were keen to stress that that we have an excellent relationship with AFC Wimbledon.
WTF. We have to run things past AFC Wimbledon now, do we? That's like calling an ex- to see if she's comfortable with you going on a date with someone else.

Grow some balls. Make your own decisions. Jeeze, next we'll be calling them to see if it is okay to go buy one of their players, or go to IKEA in Milton Keynes as opposed to the one in Croydon...

:roll:

I trust we rang both Aston Villa to check that we can play Brum and Liverpool to see if it was okay to invite Everton down to Oxford. If not, that is just pure rudeness... :p
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

[quote=&quotrecordmeister] That's like calling an ex- to see if she's comfortable with you going on a date with someone else.
[/quote]

Is it? I'd say more calling a good friend to see if you can have a one-night-stand with the woman who stole her husband....

Still go back to my earlier point - how many people do they normally get for a friendly against a low-profile club from one division higher? Cannot imagine it is that many, so why risk that number being even lower with even a small proportion of the fanbase boycotting the game, especially given the likely travelling support?
Mkdon
Embryo

Post by Mkdon »

Hi I come in peace but some of you need to read the facts then make your decision on protesting.
Either way I and many other MK fans dont really care.

1980 – Excerpts from book entitled &quotDons in the League&quot

SOURCE

In 1980/81 Chairman Ron Noades claimed that the Borough of Merton did not want the club and that he was involved in talks to take Wimbledon to Milton Keynes.

Chairman Ron Noades and three other directors, Jimmy Rose, Bernie Coleman and Sam Hammam, were voted onto the board of Milton Keynes City FC.

Noades stated there was no future for Wimbledon FC at Plough Lane.

Noades acknowledged that Milton Keynes has long term potential and could support a multi-purpose stadium.

11th October 1993 - Minutes of Wimbledon FC Board Meeting

SOURCE

Wimbledon FC recorded a loss of £1.5 million

Sam Hammam expressed concern at the amount of money he was putting into the club

The board considered selling players

Wimbledon FC board agreed to monitor the finances carefully

Merton Council did not want to link Greyhound Stadium with Plough Lane development

Merton Council allegedly backed out of the agreement made to Safeway

There was pressure by Crystal Palace to commit to long-term stay at Selhurst Park and to apply for a Football ground development grant to be shared. To accept the long term plan meant no return to Merton.

The cost of ground sharing with Crystal Palace was £250,000 per year

1994 – Chairman’s Report for the Wimbledon FC AGM

SOURCE

The club recorded an operating loss of £700,000.

No progress had been made on a return to Merton.

The Greyhound Stadium site was deemed unsuitable.

Wimbledon FC board had no confidence in Merton Council helping to find a site.

22nd February 1996 - Minutes of Wimbledon FC Board Meeting

SOURCE

Wimbledon FC recorded an operational loss of £1.8 million

Budget assumed finishing in 13th position hence an income of £400,000. It was recognised that the club were unlikely to achieve this which would mean a reduced income of £295,000.

Despite Ground sharing with Crystal Palace there were still costs of £78,500 per year towards the Plough Lane stadium.

Should the club be relegated from the Premiership it would lose £1.5 million per year. The subsequent sale of players and reduced wages would lower the projected loss to £700,000 per year.

Hammam listed 35 players at the club and believed that by selling 13 or 14 he would reduce the wage bill by £1 million per year.

Hammam was seriously considering a move to Wales or Ireland and was in talks with wealthy individuals.

Wimbledon FC had written to every Borough close to it about a move there, but none were forthcoming.

Hammam believed that the possibility of a move back to Merton was all but dead.

Hammam said that unless Wimbledon was brave or imaginative or lucky it would go back to whence it came.

4th July 1997 - Letter from Sam Hammam to Merton Council

SOURCE

Wimbledon FC had a mistrust of Merton Council

Hammam claimed that Wimbledon FC had been hampered and hindered by Merton Council for two decades and had been driven out of the Borough of Merton

Hammam wanted Merton Council to find Wimbledon FC a home in Merton.

Hammam wanted the Council to stop playing politics with the club.

14th January 2000 – Letter from Sam Hammam to the Norwegian owners of Wimbledon FC

SOURCE

Hammam stated that the stadium issue was critical as time was running out at Selhurst Park.

The lack of fans had made the financial situation difficult

Hammam had looked at every available site for a stadium in the Borough

He had actively explored 7 Boroughs surrounding Merton for a stadium site

Wimbledon FC had been invited for discussions about moving to a new location by Watford, Luton, Birmingham, West Bromwich Albion, Portsmouth, Brighton, Milton Keynes, Cardiff and Scotland.

Hammam had given his time to Wimbledon FC for free

The only way Wimbledon FC could survive with its low gates and no stadium was to stay in the Prem
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

Oh I see. That's fine then. As you were.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotMkdon&quot wrote:Either way I and many other MK fans dont really care.
No need to read beyond this really.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

So Don, were you previously a supporter of Milton Keynes City? Or Bletchley? Or some other professional team in a different town? Or were you a Don that moved from Wimbledon?

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say your &quotreal&quot team is Spurs.
Last edited by Hog on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quottheox&quot... but anyone who has supported a club home and away for a few years is ok by me.[/quote wrote:
So, just for arguements sake .... MK Dons (spit spit) win promotion next season and the season after and 100s of Oxford fans then decide they would rather watch premiership football than footie at whatever level we are then at. They then support franchise home and away for a few (2? 3?) years, then we're all ok with that are we?

And on the subject of away support - TV pictures don't actually show huge passionate hordes following franchise do they?
In recent seasons Oxford have had crowds ranging from 4k - 10k. Maybe those that aren't always in attendance have already been going off to other clubs behind our backs all this time! How dare they be not true fans like you Baboo! perhaps we should introduce a system whereby you can now only come to Oxford games if you can prove you were at Droylesden away?! On the basis of free choice, you or anyone else can go and watch MK if you like! Why would I care about that when we already have plenty of 'part-time' fans?!

So, MK don't have many away fans? I assume you have numbers to back that up but I didn't realise that we played 'the biggest dick' card in this argument because 'the holy lords and saviours of football' AFC Wimbledon are hardly overrun with support and never have been!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quottheox&quot wrote: Maybe those that aren't always in attendance have already been going off to other clubs behind our backs all this time! How dare they be not true fans like you Baboo! perhaps we should introduce a system whereby you can now only come to Oxford games if you can prove you were at Droylesden away?! On the basis of free choice, you or anyone else can go and watch MK if you like! Why would I care about that when we already have plenty of 'part-time' fans?!

So, MK don't have many away fans? I assume you have numbers to back that up but I didn't realise that we played 'the biggest dick' card in this argument because 'the holy lords and saviours of football' AFC Wimbledon are hardly overrun with support and never have been!
That is absolutely not what I have been saying at all is it? Never once have I said that Droylesden away is a badge of honour - it's others that weren't there and probably don't go as often as I that keep coming up with this spurious arguement. I've never once claimed to be a better supporter than the next man or woman.

But from your response I can see that you would be happy if we lost fans to MKD as it's a free world.

And no one has claimed that AFC are massively supported but what has that got to do with anything?

Still, we need something to debate until the proper fixtures come out on the 17th.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:Oh I see. That's fine then. As you were.
Yes, seems so.
Mkdon
Embryo

Re:

Post by Mkdon »

&quotHog&quot wrote:So Don, were you previously a supporter of Milton Keynes City? Or Bletchley? Or some other professional team in a different town? Or were you a Don that moved from Wimbledon?

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say your &quotreal&quot team is Spurs.
When I lived in the north-west I supported Liverpool that was 22 years ago and I would not say I was still a supporter, 2004 when dons arrived in MK I looked at the decision and read this link........................ http://www.mkdsa.co.uk/index.php?option ... Itemid=204

I took the decision to support them and I have been a season ticket holder for four seasons if the two teams were to meet I would be in MK end does that answer your question?
Mkdon
Embryo

Re:

Post by Mkdon »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotMkdon&quot wrote:Either way I and many other MK fans dont really care.
No need to read beyond this really.
Thats tongue and cheek , point being a lot people do not give a hoot either side of the debate all am trying to point out is some facts and arguments to supporters anti franchise if like some misperceptions.

May 2004 - Financial Director publication – WFC hopelessly insolvent

SOURCE

Wimbledon FC were described by Mr Justice Lightman as being 'hopelessly insolvent' and faces liquidation without the CVA.

The Football League was set to expel the club if it failed to pay football creditors in full.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quottheox&quot wrote: Maybe those that aren't always in attendance have already been going off to other clubs behind our backs all this time! How dare they be not true fans like you Baboo! perhaps we should introduce a system whereby you can now only come to Oxford games if you can prove you were at Droylesden away?! On the basis of free choice, you or anyone else can go and watch MK if you like! Why would I care about that when we already have plenty of 'part-time' fans?!

That is absolutely not what I have been saying at all is it? Never once have I said that Droylesden away is a badge of honour - it's others that weren't there and probably don't go as often as I that keep coming up with this spurious arguement. I've never once claimed to be a better supporter than the next man or woman.

But from your response I can see that you would be happy if we lost fans to MKD as it's a free world.

And no one has claimed that AFC are massively supported but what has that got to do with anything?

Still, we need something to debate until the proper fixtures come out on the 17th.
I'm not entirely sure what relevance this particular point has then?! Your suggesting that we should all be devastated if a few of our part-time fans go to watch MK. It's highly likely that a lot of our part-time fans watch and follow other clubs anyway. I don't see why this should make me join you in your hatred of MK?!

In terms of attendance, you brought up your assumption that MK have a low away following seemingly in an attempt to argue that we should not feel empathy for those fans. I agree this, and AFC's attendances, have no relevance but you brought it up!
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Please excuse my American-ness but I've never understood the antipathy people have for MKDons. They moved the team and didn't start over at the bottom of the pyramid... so what? It's still the same organization isn't it? People would rather the team had dissolved rather than continue as a functioning entity? Just wondering...