New Strikers

Anything yellow and blue
Mark
Embryo

New Strikers

Post by Mark »

After seeing the players released and the transfer list im guessing that we are going to be needing a few more strikers. Midson released, Green on the transfer list and what with Maclean, Doble and Hackney all gone back to their clubs it leaves us with only Constable, Craddock and Potter. And if Wilder keeps playing with the 4-3-3 formation surely we need at least 2 maybe 3 new strikers with one of them being a winger like Potter as im not a fan of him using ST for wingers.

I was just wondering who you would all like to see brought in?

I think that we need strikers who are recognised goalscorers in this league either last season or the season before and also someone who can finish their chances as thats what we lack up front sometimes. Obviously it would be hard to get any decent players from teams finishing above us as they would want alot of money and the players wouldnt be interested in leaving for us. Theres a few players who are out of contract or been released who i wouldnt mind seeing play for oxford:

Donaldson- out of contract and a proven goalscorer but im not sure would leave crewe for us unless we offer him decent money, and also a few clubs in higher divisions may be looking at him.
Thomas - 24 yr old who scored 19 goals for 17th place Cheltenham and is out of contract this summer, surely worth a look at and Oxford look more likely to finish higher next season than Cheltenham
Mckenzie- 10 goals in 27 games for Northampton and just been released so would be free, looked a pretty decent hard working player when i saw him but has had a few injury problems last season.
Omar Daley - not sure about him but just seen was released by bradford, score a few against us up there and looked quick and like he could trouble a defense running down the wing.

Some other players that may be worth payin a few quid for and may leave their clubs for us :
Fleetwood - 14 league goals for a struggling Hereford and looks like he finishes his chances which is what we need.
Corr - 18 league goals but not sure he would leave southend for us
Harrad - looks a decent player but only joined northampton in january so i doubt he would leave
Kabba/Mcleod - 11/14 goals for Barnet, and might be tempted by a bigger club coming in for them.
Marshall - little winger for barnet and really impressed me, looked simular to potter and i think we need another quick winger.

ANother player i noticed may be worth a look at and noone has noticed is Geohaghon, since being abused by the port vales fans has not played for them since, we need a big cb and surely he would be looking to move clubs so may be worth a look.

So what do u think to the players i mentioned and other other ones that u would like to see?
Oufc2009
Brat

Post by Oufc2009 »

I would love to see Donaldson and kabba, both are very capible of scoring when they have the right supply, i also very much rate Marshall from Barnet, loads of pace and clear ability to get past people. as for Geohaghon i think he could be a really useful signing, he isnt just a big defender who can win constant headers but also he has pace, and his biggest feature is his GIANT throw! i dont want to be like Stoke with just using long balls but a giant throw is clearly a good thing to have.
It doesn't matter what people say, I like the 2010/2011 home shirt
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotOufc2009&quot wrote:I both are very capible of scoring when they have the right supply,
And do we have the personnel to provide this &quotright supply&quot. Do we need a creative midfielder? When is Adam Chapman likely to be released? Is he in our plans?

No mention of full-backs here, but there have been times last season when the view has been that they all need replacing.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

If AFC Wimbledone fail in their promotion bid, Kedwell is likely to leave (rumour has it). Think he'd cope well with the step up and would be well worth a look.
Mark
Embryo

Re:

Post by Mark »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotOufc2009&quot wrote:I both are very capible of scoring when they have the right supply,
And do we have the personnel to provide this &quotright supply&quot. Do we need a creative midfielder? When is Adam Chapman likely to be released? Is he in our plans?

No mention of full-backs here, but there have been times last season when the view has been that they all need replacing.
Well seeing as we are losing purkiss and kinni then we will need 2 more full backs, and i personally think tonkin isnt good enough for a team chasing promotion. As for batt, i can never make my mind up and he is pretty inconsistent, great going forward but looks dodgey defending sometimes, might be more useful as a RM. and looking at how many goals we have conceded from the opposistion running down the wing and crossing it in then then i think we do need new fullback. As for chapman i havent heard anything in ages, before he went in i heard that he could be out in half the sentence time of 3 years with good behaviour. And i think we do need a creative midfielder and a midfielder with more fight like bulman used to be like.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Michael Rankine of York is linked with Aldershot. I'm surprised Brodie has been happy to play second fiddle at Crawley. Jack Midson simply doesn't fit in a team with Constable and is best suited to a team who play to his strengths by playing the ball up and over to him. Wilder clearly wants to play 'nice' Passing football and can't create two teams depending on whether it is Constable or Midson up front.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Wilder clearly wants to play 'nice' Passing football
That's fine as long as defensive solidarity and attacking penetration are part of this niceness. It's not very nice to keep dropping points.
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Post by Belgian Yellow »

Reuben Reid.
Despite snubbing us for Rotherham, I'd take him back in an instant.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotMark&quot wrote:As for chapman i havent heard anything in ages, before he went in i heard that he could be out in half the sentence time of 3 years with good behaviour. And i think we do need a creative midfielder and a midfielder with more fight like bulman used to be like.
Even when he does get released it would be madness to chuck him into League two football. He'd need months of training to get back to fitness and possibly an extended spell in a lower division.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

heard a rumour regarding thomas on saturday he was supposed to have been signing for us on monday morning ,obviously hasnt yet but who knows still could happen
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Crawley want to sign everyone except Constable.......

http://www.thisissussex.co.uk/sport/DON ... ticle.html