Rubbish and Dustbins

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

“Surely we would be the laughing stock of non-league football if we were second from bottom of the Conference. We are in fact second from top.
Last edited by Snake on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

From an Oxford perspective that is a scary table.

However I do remember thinking, as I scoffed my cottage pie, that Kidderminster played some nice football.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Most interesting thing about that table is how well Rushden have done recently - I thought we made them look fantastic but maybe they are actually a decent team now and we took it for granted a bit that we should beat them.

However, with Cambridge doing as badly as us recently Sat really is a must win game now - turn up in droves and get behind the lads we've only lost one home game all season after all, are we that arrogant that we thought we'd not lose at home this season.

Usually when a team loses at home its because they've played badly!
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
Why have we lost the support of the non-league fraternity? There has been no discernible arrogance on or off the field shown by the club or its supporters . What eyewash.
don't disagree with you, just think we're coming at this from different start points. I suspect you took my comments to mean our attitude has lost us respect, whereas I actually think that we, like most other clubs that come down from the FL, were afforded little respect from the non-league fraternity to start off with.

Some then really P people off by continuing to act in an arrogant and disrespectful fashion &quotwe're too big for this league, etc&quot (which I think is what you thought I meant) while others keep their noses clean and buckle down to earning respect on the field (which is actually what I meant).

All I was saying was that the respect that our on-field performances had earned through the early part of the season (to the point where some opposing managers were quoted as saying our presence in the table was a disgrace as it was taking up a promotion slot) has all but crumbled in recent weeks with most observers taking a quiet delight in our demise.

PS - Snake - Hellenic is four levels below us (Conference, Conference South, Southern Premier, Southern South&ampWest, Hellenic Premier). Our nearest Oxon rivals are Banbury in the Southern Premier.

ok.see what you mean.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Most interesting thing about that table is how well Rushden have done recently - I thought we made them look fantastic but maybe they are actually a decent team now and we took it for granted a bit that we should beat them.

However, with Cambridge doing as badly as us recently Sat really is a must win game now - turn up in droves and get behind the lads we've only lost one home game all season after all, are we that arrogant that we thought we'd not lose at home this season.

Usually when a team loses at home its because they've played badly!

good point about rushden. if you look at their squad you have to accept that it looks fairly strong. he said clutching on to that straw.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Well I always thought Hatswell was hard done by when here. Played out of position and the fans instantly on his back.

Ashton was excellent until he disolved under Talbot, twice as quick as any defender we currently have.

Dave Savage, well I am biased about him because I sponsorsed him for two seasons.

And Jamie Cook.He never went on from Maine Road did he. A good example of my theory that young players should move away from their home town club. They become the local hero and think they have 'made it' far too easily. Would Mustoe have had such a successful career if he stayed in Oxford. Paul Powell ???
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Powell should have gone to Newcastle United and I still can’t believe we turned down a seven figure sum for that move.

Incidentally, earlier on in this thread I was NOT saying that we should get in there and take Chrissy Allen onto our books. Quite the opposite in fact, as watching him play now and again is an absolute footballing delight and I’d hate him to leave North Leigh.

/

Martin Foster seems to know a bit about the non-league scene, it appears, though he’s only played 65 minutes of football at a league level - and that was back in 1997.

More stuff here - http://www.theshaymen.net/phpBB2/viewto ... 3667176e9f
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Well I always thought Hatswell was hard done by when here. Played out of position and the fans instantly on his back.

Ashton was excellent until he disolved under Talbot, twice as quick as any defender we currently have.

Dave Savage, well I am biased about him because I sponsorsed him for two seasons.

And Jamie Cook.He never went on from Maine Road did he. A good example of my theory that young players should move away from their home town club. They become the local hero and think they have 'made it' far too easily. Would Mustoe have had such a successful career if he stayed in Oxford. Paul Powell ???
And Peter Foley decided not to go to WBA I believe. (Going back a bit I know)

Some just can't hack it away from home though can they, Joey?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

And didn't Andy Duncan turn down Leeds. (plucking at very straws)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:And didn't Andy Duncan turn down Leeds. (plucking at very straws)
I cannot recall an Andy Duncan. Has my memory gone?

Or should that be Colin Duncan?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Although Gary Watson did go to Carlisle.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:And didn't Andy Duncan turn down Leeds. (plucking at very straws)

That's the one, see I am not old enough.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:

That's the one, see I am not old enough.
Unfortunately I am. I would never have put him anywhere near good enough for Leeds though. A good honest trier.
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

And Finally,

Did'nt Frankie go to Hollywood!!!!!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I also remember that Costello didn't want to go to Chelsea