Jim Rosenthal Q&A

Anything yellow and blue
Mark Sennett
Brat

Jim Rosenthal Q&A

Post by Mark Sennett »

Oxford United director Jim Rosenthal has kindly agreed to take part in a Q&ampA session with OxVox members on Saturday prior to the U's last home game of the season.

The session will start at 13:00 and will take place in the Landmark Room. The meeting is open to all members but if you would like to attend and you are not an OxVox member you can sign up on the door or join at http://oxvox.org.uk/pageContent.aspx?id=7

Members who can't make the meeting but have questions that you would like to be put to Jim can email enquiries@oxvox.org.uk and we will make sure these are asked.

Following the Q&ampA we will introduce Michael North and John Gould who entered nomination forms to join the Trust's committee. As we had declared three vacancies on the committee, John and Michael will be deemed elected subject to the members’ ratification at the General Meeting. The meeting will give you the chance to meet John and Michael and ask any questions you may have of our new committee.

We look forward to seeing you on Saturday.
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Are any of the old FOUL committee Oxvox members who will be attending?
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

None of the current OxVox committee was on FOUL.
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

I've got one for him:

&quotWhere were you when we were shit?&quot
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMark Sennett&quot wrote:None of the current OxVox committee was on FOUL.
Members, not committee members. I.e. would they be eligible to attend the q&ampa session.
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

Anyone that's an OxVox member can attend and anyone else who would like to atted can join up as a member on the door.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Do OxVox have to pay the Kassam organistation to use The Landmark Room?
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

Are all these questions for Jim? I'm not sure he'll know the answers... -)
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotdr ceri&quot wrote:I've got one for him:

In the Landmark Room at 13:00 on Saturday? :twisted:
Mark Sennett
Brat

Re:

Post by Mark Sennett »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Do OxVox have to pay the Kassam organistation to use The Landmark Room?
No we don't.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotMark Sennett&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:Do OxVox have to pay the Kassam organistation to use The Landmark Room?
No we don't.
Good to see FK being so nice to you and Jim - don't forget to spend lots of money in the Red Bar.

Shame I can't make it but I might see you afterwards at the sponsors do.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotdr ceri&quot wrote:I've got one for him:

In the Landmark Room at 13:00 on Saturday? :twisted:
:D
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

Here's a link to the meeting notes:

http://oxvox.org.uk/news.aspx?id=260
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Great to read that you had 28 people in attendance, and this particular Q&ampA caught my eye.

Q. What were Jim’s thoughts on what had happened around the time Kassam bought the club as he was involved in the ‘Gang of Four’?

A. Jim felt that the time of year had worked against his group (in the summer months) when it was hard to build momentum, and he felt in retrospect they were too polite in stepping aside when they did. He said that while many had said the group didn’t have the money, the money was there. Ultimately Jim said he always believed ‘you go where you’re wanted’, and so while he’d found it hard not going to Oxford games for that period, he stepped away from the Club.

So, 12 years on the revised summation of the FK –v- GoF ownership dispute according to the minutes is as follows...

The money was there all along, and if only it had not been the summer and they were not so polite things could have been different. After that Jim didn’t turn up for a few years.

As for my take on things, then from what I recall in a final meeting with the GoF (plus Malcolm Shotton) at the Royal Oxford Hotel the night before they withdrew their bid it was still officially winter. I remember it well as Central News TV erroneously ran a story saying the meeting had been cancelled with FOUL so when I got home my wife asked me where I really was. I protested my innocence and so I was grateful that in the morning the Oxford Mail ran a headline entitled “FOULED!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Jim said the money was there?

The GOF informed FOUL in a meeting in Oxford the total sum of money they had. It would have be able to cover the club for 1 season at the Manor. No more.

It was this lack of money that was clearly the issue with the GOF. The GOF was based on the hope and goodwill of local business. The Taxman would have ripped us apart within 18months.