For the superstitious

Anything yellow and blue
Dartford Ox
Puberty

For the superstitious

Post by Dartford Ox »

Take a look at the fixtures for 60/61 and note the scorers for 8/4/61 (50 years ago today was a Saturday) and also the scorers for the following Wednesday - particularly Bud Houghton.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... son_id=112

There is a horse called Hello Bud running in the National tomorrow.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Did we really have players called Johnny Love and Geoff Denial - fantastic!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

That's preferable to my usual method of sticking a pin in the paper - Hello Bud it is.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Johnny Love was my very first 'favourite player'.

He ended up doing a relatively menial job in an Eynsham factory, and died of cancer quite recently.

Probably because I'm an old git who keeps banging on about the 'Soul of Football', Johnny Love was an example of why I don't give a $h*t about Wayne Rooney being suspended for two games for swearing into a camera.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

and here was me thinking that Ebbsfleet was a new name in football.....
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:and here was me thinking that Ebbsfleet was a new name in football.....
It was Gravesend that we played (I was at that match but couldn't make the Wednesday evening match against Boston - last bus home left Gloucester Green at 9 pm)

Gravesend later merged with Northfleet and a few years after that changed their name to Ebbsfleet.

I suspect 'admin' may have done a global change on all Gravesend and/or Northfleet mentions in the records.
bob s
Toddler

Re:

Post by bob s »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:Johnny Love was my very first 'favourite player'.

He ended up doing a relatively menial job in an Eynsham factory, and died of cancer quite recently.

Probably because I'm an old git who keeps banging on about the 'Soul of Football', Johnny Love was an example of why I don't give a $h*t about Wayne Rooney being suspended for two games for swearing into a camera.
Could'nt agree more. John Love was a favourite with most fans.....he would bomb down the wing and put in a rocket shot from god knows how far out.

Whats happen to our game - and indeed the mentality of some players these days?.

Yep, I'm an old git too............................
To err is human - to forgive is divine
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

nice to know i am not the only old git on here :) :)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:and here was me thinking that Ebbsfleet was a new name in football.....
It was Gravesend that we played (I was at that match but couldn't make the Wednesday evening match against Boston - last bus home left Gloucester Green at 9 pm)

Gravesend later merged with Northfleet and a few years after that changed their name to Ebbsfleet.

I suspect 'admin' may have done a global change on all Gravesend and/or Northfleet mentions in the records.
They are thinking of changing back to Gravesend and Northfleet