Spare a thought for...

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Spare a thought for...

Post by Kernow Yellow »

...Weymouth fans.

Four seasons ago a combined total of 10,800 people watched their two Conference fixtures against OUFC.

Two seasons ago they watched their team take 4 points off us in the same league.

On Saturday they lost 5-0 at Oxford City, in front of 244 spectators.

Ouch.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Hmmm, one of the very small comforts for following the Us for thirty-odd years through thick and thin is that I don't have to listen to other clubs' hard luck stories.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I shouldn't think that anyone, anywhere said in 2007

&quotSpare a thought for Oxford United fans. Four seasons ago 35,400 people watched their FA Cup game vs Arsenal when a clearly on-side goal by Basham was ruled offside.

On Saturday they lost 0-2 to Forest Green Rovers in the Conference.&quot

If I'm being honest, we spent long enough clearing the shit out of our own garden for me to even worry about the next door neighbours.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Blimey, a couple of harsh responses there.

I think plenty of football people noticed our plight, and wished better times for us, when we were playing 'the likes of' Forest Green. There were national newspaper articles pointing it out, for a start.

I remember quite fondly the bank holiday weekend trip to Weymouth in 2006, when they filled their ground for our visit. And thought they were a club on the up, having been non-league giants back in the day.

But hey, fuck 'em, eh? We're all right Jack.

I thought a few years in the wilderness were supposed to have taught our fans some humility. :shock:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Weymouth fans?
How many of them were in the crowd of 244. Perhaps there is no such thing as a Weymouth fan any more. Through thick and thin .....
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Weymouth fans?
How many of them were in the crowd of 244. Perhaps there is no such thing as a Weymouth fan any more. Through thick and thin .....
They probably made enough money from betting on their own team to lose a couple of years ago to afford Premier League season tickets.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 792211.ece
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
They probably made enough money from betting on their own team to lose a couple of years ago to afford Premier League season tickets.

“We took it down once it appeared people knew more than us.&quot Can't have that can we - punters having a chance of making some money.
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Post by Belgian Yellow »

While we're on the hard luck stories, spare a thought for Bitterminster Harriers too eh?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:

“We took it down once it appeared people knew more than us.&quot Can't have that can we - punters having a chance of making some money.
Indeed, which brings me to share this issue with anyone who likes a punt on this board...

I once had a brush with an Internet bookmaker (BET365.com to name and shame the bastards) when they offered 6-4 on 12 or less corners in our game with Rushden three years ago and 6-4 on more than 12 corners. I can’t lose thought I, so I put a tenner on both bets and to my surprise it was accepted online.

Mmm, so ten minutes later I put another fifty quid on both bets and to my astonishment that went through as well. Hey ho, let’s go again - so I went and placed an additional £500 on both bets, and AGAIN I got official confirmation that my bets had been accepted.

Shortly afterwards my phone rang (even though I’m ex-directory and I had not supplied them with my home phone number) and someone from BET365 said they had made a mistake in their odds, that my bets were void, and they had refunded my stakes. My response was something along the lines of “we all make mistakes in betting and that just this one time you’ve gone and fucked up instead of me, so I’m happy to settle if you want to just bung me £100 in free bets
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Some of the above comments really are a bit harsh.

We know that the fate of any team is often influenced by factors off the pitch, and in particular the murky world of boardroom politics, land deals and 'investment in the club' - sound familiar? So that I can always sympathise with genuine fans, especially if their commitment to the team overrides the overwhelming odds their club is facing: Chester, Salisbury, Wrexham, Weymouth, whoever. Those who turn up to watch Weymouth deserve far more than those who sit down to watch 'their' premiership team on Sky from the comfort of the sofa.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Oh, I'll spare a thought for them, but I'm not willing to get overaly emotionally involved with *another* struggling football club as the struggling football club I support takes up 99.9% of the emotional capacity I reserve for sport... hence why I don't support any other team (Q- &quotDo you have a second club?&quot A- &quotNo, it's hard enough supporting one!&quot)

Having said that, the 0.1% I do have left is currently with Kidderminster. Get well soon, Kiddy.

Also, if The Prem / Sky Sports has the ECJ ruling over them upheld, then we could see broadcasts of Prem games at 3pm on a Saturday which could well be the nail in the coffin for games that only attract 200-odd supporters, which would be a real, real shame.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

Shouldn't you be directing this to Robert Plant?

Best of luck to Kiddy, dont like to see this sort of plight for any club.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Oh, I'll spare a thought for them, but I'm not willing to get overaly emotionally involved with *another* struggling football club as the struggling football club I support takes up 99.9% of the emotional capacity I reserve for sport... hence why I don't support any other team (Q- &quotDo you have a second club?&quot A- &quotNo, it's hard enough supporting one!&quot)
It's absolutely nothing to do with supporting anotheer club - it's having sympathy for and solidarity with the fans of clubs which are going to go under, or at the very least be on their hands and knees. The reaction of people on here has genuinely shocked me.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:The reaction of people on here has genuinely shocked me.
Me too. Given what we've been through as a club (I'm thinking nearly going bust in the 80's and 90's rather than the 'ignominy' of having to play in the Conference) I thought there would be a bit of sympathy with clubs in the shit now. Seems not.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:The reaction of people on here has genuinely shocked me.
Me too. Given what we've been through as a club (I'm thinking nearly going bust in the 80's and 90's rather than the 'ignominy' of having to play in the Conference) I thought there would be a bit of sympathy with clubs in the shit now. Seems not.
Well there is from yourself &amp Joey. And me too. But whether we have the time or inclination to do anything about it is another matter. There are so many teams &quotin the shit&quot and there will continue to be so given the way football is run from the top and the way loads of clubs are themselves run. Not the fans fault of course but what's the real answer? Is there one?