The Ashes - warning: contains Silly Point

Anything yellow and blue
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I'm going to spend the next month bleary eyed and complaining of getting no sleep.
Unlike the Australians, who are merely going to spend the next month complaining.

And they have the temerity to call US whingers..!

Honours it has to be said to Punter and his Australian 2nd XI after day one, though...here's hoping a juicy pitch, an eager English pace attack and a notoriously brittle colonial middle-order combine to present us with a first innings lead tomorrow!
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Me too A-Ro, you not going out for this one I take it? Exchange rate is a bit of a bugger not to mention the R word.

Not a good start but there's a long, long way to go and we rarely start ashes series well, far too much importance is placed on first day/hour/ball.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

No, not going to this one, at least that way there is a chance we won't lose 5 - 0. The next one on the list is New Zealand when it turns up although it will probably be in 2012 when I want to take a month off work to avoid the Olympics.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I remember when I first went to Melb'n back in 1989 or '90, whenever, and England were beaten 5-0 in the Ashes. Everyone down the pub started to take the piss out of me so I told them that I couldn't give a toss about cricket a statement that was met with either disbelief or bemusement. Luckily there was another Pom there, a Westam fan called Steve, who did seem genuinely upset by it, so they turned their taunts to him instead.

I actually played a couple of games for a mate's team in Albert Park, but as far as I can recall the day seemed mostly to consist of chuffing on a big communal bong in the back of the van and then spending the rest of the time in a pleasant haze while topping up the tan. Although I did actually catch someone out, to everyone's surprise (including mine).
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

good post that ^^^^^
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

It was flippin' freezing in Melbourne 4 years ago, no tan topping going on then I can assure you.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotboris&quot wrote:I remember when I first went to Melb'n back in 1989 or '90, whenever, and England were beaten 5-0 in the Ashes.
If it was '89, then it would have been 4-0 to the convicts with 2 drawn matches in a 6 test series.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

260 may not be that bad a score if Swanny starts to make use of the turn.

Let's just hope the crim's are not finding form at the wrong moment.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:260 may not be that bad a score if Swanny starts to make use of the turn.
10 off his first and only over doesn't bode well but it is early in the innings and the ball must still be at least a little bit shiny.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

I think whichever way you look at it 260 on that track was a bad score. There were too many bad shots, and too much playing without moving feet. Still, I will be up at 5am tomorrow morning for the evening session hoping that the bowlers have dug us out of a big hole.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:260 may not be that bad a score if Swanny starts to make use of the turn.

Not to mention Anderson making the most of the sticky Brisbane climate.
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

not going to turn. sorry. (prepared to eat metaphorical hat).
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

First day's highlights here.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:

Interesting. An Aussie I was talking to this morning reckoned it will turn.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:

Interesting. An Aussie I was talking to this morning reckoned it will turn.
In the past Shane Warne has had a lot of success bowling at The Gabba, so I wouldn't rule it out.