Wilder's young side - timescales for success?

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:[Well you won't be surprised to learn that, guess what, I disagree. Reckon there IS a large gap between Conference and L2. I think our forward line is not up to it and we need to get an experienced striker in. Which won't happen.

We will do well to finish top half. And there will be lots of of moaners soon. And May 16th will seem a long way away.

Happy days...
As already said - I'm with Sackcloth on the gap
But I think we can finish top half and still feel we have a decent chance of a play-off place. (Optimism form me - wierd)

Strikers not up to it? On the evidence of what? A very hard away game &amp a home game where we missed a shed load? Not saying you are wrong though. And why do you think we won't get an experienced striker in? Perhaps CW thinks we need one too.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Strikers and goal scoring shouldn't be a problem this season. In the two home games so far we've created enough chances to win half a dozen games and if anything our line up and tactics are too attacking.

We've got a starting line up of three strikers, two midfield players (Heslop and Hall) who can get forward and look to score and a very attacking fullback in Batt. We really only have 4 defensive minded players with very little on the bench to strengthen the side and hold a lead.

Where I think we will struggle is against better quality (than conference) sides that can pass and move to play round and through the exposed defence. Which is exactly how Bury got their winner.

The only caveat to that is that it's early days and we haven't seen the quality and style of play of the rest of the division yet but if they are mainly like Bury we'll score plenty but are likely to ship almost as many at the back.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

In reality we won't know for a while how we are likely to do.

We were extremely unfortunate to lose to Bury, a side who could well be there or thereabouts so far as the play offs are concerned.

Burton away was a decent result and Wycombe will also in all likelihood be around the promotion positions.

I still think that we can get into/ close to the play offs, but it will take a few more games to really analyse the strength of the Division.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:In reality we won't know for a while how we are likely to do.

We were extremely unfortunate to lose to Bury, a side who could well be there or thereabouts so far as the play offs are concerned.

Burton away was a decent result and Wycombe will also in all likelihood be around the promotion positions.

I still think that we can get into/ close to the play offs, but it will take a few more games to really analyse the strength of the Division.

I tend to agree, it is a little early to tell. Results notwithstanding I have been very encouraged with some of the stuff I have seen (and I missed the Bristol game). I genuinely think the side will find its feet and will be pushing up around the play offs.

I feel we as fans need to be patient as well, as I said in another thread we have a tough away game on Saturday and it is entirely possible that we could be sat on 1 point from 9. If that’s the case the worst thing to do would be to let the anxiety build and have that create extra pressure on the players against Accrington. Whilst we mustn’t fall too far off the pace it would be far too early to panic. Keep in touch till Christmas and then push on in the New Year.