Leavers

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Utterly confused with the Foster news - there MUST be a story behind it! Completely bizarre as he is one of the stars of the season. I felt strangely down when we lost top spot on NYD and this is doing nothing to lift me despite the new signings: they look fine to me but better the devil you know...? I thought this was all behind us as Oxford supporters but now I'm beginning to feel a little nervous. I know I shouldn't but it's a habit I can't shake off - Mr Wilder wouldn't be very happy with me!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Something does not seem right (no pun intended) about this and to be honest I'm slightly worried about this development.

As for preferring Day to Fozzie - Luke only sat out the Chester game and then replaced the injured Rhys during the following game against Stevenage. Day has been fit for a considerable period since but has not got further than the occassional appearance on the bench.
Foster on the other hand has been picked when not suspended.

As for being outpaced - true, but he is faster than the Beast and it does not happen that often.

Disciplinary - 4 yellows and a red. The Beast - 4 yellows. Beano - 7 yellows. Don't think he is that much worse - many thought that his red v Barrow was a tad unlucky.

Blame for the Salisbury goal - a little harsh. Everyone makes mistakes and the blame could have been apportioned elsewhere too.

I think he has put his body on the line for us at times and I'm quite shocked at this but if we can replaced our good / very good players with even better ones then so be it. We'll just have to wait and see but if the players have to be CW's own then how long before Beano is off too?
Long John Silver
Brat

Post by Long John Silver »

If Foster does go and we end the season not getting P*******, will Wilder still be looked upon as a God by most, as seems the case at the moment.

It would seem a hell of a gamble to break up the best defensive partnership in the league.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Something does not seem right (no pun intended) about this and to be honest I'm slightly worried about this development.

As for preferring Day to Fozzie - Luke only sat out the Chester game and then replaced the injured Rhys during the following game against Stevenage. Day has been fit for a considerable period since but has not got further than the occassional appearance on the bench.

As for being outpaced - true, but he is faster than the Beast and it does not happen that often.

Disciplinary - 4 yellows and a red. The Beast - 4 yellows. Beano - 7 yellows. Don't think he is that much worse - many thought that his red v Barrow was a tad unlucky.

Blame for the Salisbury goal - a little harsh. Everyone makes mistakes and the blame could have been apportioned elsewhere too.

I think he has put his body on the line for us at times and I'm quite shocked at this but if we can replaced our good / very good players with even better ones then so be it. We'll just have to wait and see but if the players have to be CW's own then how long before Beano is off too?
I tend to agree, and not forgetting that defenders often have worse disciplinary records than other positions. It goes with the territory of having to prevent goals.

Like Hog, I was a bit unnerved by losing top spot, albeit by default rather than through a losing run. I am pleased by the Tonkin signing, who is probably the best left back in the division. Bar Constable, losing Foster is perhaps the player I would least like to lose in the squad.

Let's hope it turns out to be a mis-understanding of some sort.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

I'm not that surprised. Wilder has constantly hinted that he is not 100% happy with Foster.

He's now got a better player in, (in Wright), in his opinion. Have seen Wright in action for Crawley last season and he looked a class act at this level.

Also the club might be able ... and may need to cash in on Foster.

Remember the so called Boxing Day honeypot?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Something does not seem right (no pun intended) about this and to be honest I'm slightly worried about this development.

I tend to agree, and not forgetting that defenders often have worse disciplinary records than other positions. It goes with the territory of having to prevent goals.

Like Hog, I was a bit unnerved by losing top spot, albeit by default rather than through a losing run. I am pleased by the Tonkin signing, who is probably the best left back in the division. Bar Constable, losing Foster is perhaps the player I would least like to lose in the squad.

Clarke is more important than Foster. So is Creighton. So is Batt. So , arguably is Murray ...on his day.

We've had some games postponed and wow we've lost top spot. Why on earth be at all 'unnerved'? Some supporters are such pussies. :wink:
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Anyone who posts on TiU should be shot. As one fan said to me on the terrace at Sails. &quotThe best thing the club could do is negotiate with Newsquest to have TiU closed down...&quot with which I agree. The fact Forster's Dad is on their, makes a statement and then the speculation continues despite repeated statements from Fozzy Snr shows how thick the people on there really are!
Charming. Shall I fetch you a ladder to climb down from your ivory tower?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:

Clarke is more important than Foster. So is Creighton. So is Batt. So , arguably is Murray ...on his day.

We've had some games postponed and wow we've lost top spot. Why on earth be at all 'unnerved'? Some supporters are such pussies. :wink:
Agreed. Much happier to be in a position of chasing Stevenage down than being there to be shot at. Stevenage will be scared shitless of dropping any points when we only need three points from three games to overtake.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

What none of us knows is what goes on behind the scenes. Okay, Fozzie's dad on TIU might claim there's been no bust up, but a) he might be being economical with the truth if his son's in some way to blame, or b) he might not know the full ins and outs of the situation - his son is hardly likely to say to him &quotI've been given the elbow because I'm a total wanker in the dressing room&quot (not suggesting he is, just juggling with possibilities).

Like everyone else on here I'm in the dark as to what has transpired and am reduced to speculation. My guess is that another club has made enquiries about Foster's availability, Wilder has already decided (for whatever reason) that he's not going to renew his contract, and has therefore allowed Foster to talk to other clubs to give him the chance to get fixed up now rather than risk being out of work in the summer when there's hundreds of other players looking for clubs.

Or maybe he's a wanker in the dressing room.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Fozzie

Post by OUFC4eva »

I have to go with CW's judgement on this one.

Oddly, perhaps, I can see Wilder's line of thinking. LF has not been great over the past 7-8 weeks. He looked at fault at Kidderminster went he was grounded inside two minutes when big Matthews scored from close in and then he was dismissed against Barrow for bringing down their forward in the box when they had barely threatened at that point. He was far from great in the replay apparently and I felt it was Foster who allowed Todd to head in that equaliser at Salisbury last week. I don't think CW would scapegoat one player for the failure to beat Barrow but you never know.

I have also thought that Foster struggled badly against the likes of Brodie, Rankin, Wright (Histon), Louis (Crawley) and big Damian Spencer at Kettering back in August.

CW feels that Foster is surplus to requirements and that Jake Wright and Rhys Day - to a lesser extent - are better players so we will find out when we next see some action!

I personally don't see LF being good enough for the Football League
if I am honest but I have enjoyed watching him for the best part of three years. CW knows a decent centre half when he sees one.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Luke: Chris, did you know my contract was up in the summer?
Chris: Yes, Luke, that's one of the things a manager is paid for.
Luke: And...?
Chris: And?
Luke: Well, it's about time we had one of those little negotiation thingies, and then it goes up on the website that I've signed for another two years, and ...
Chris: That's if you are going to get an new contract, Luke
Luke: You what?
Chris: See, Luke, it's tough because we don't know what league we will be in, who else will be available, how well young Jake will shape up, ....
Luke: But I'm one of your best players, Chris... Aren't I, Chris?
Chris: That's one of the things a manager is paid for, Luke
Luke: Well, I'm a free agent, Chris
Chris: Exactly, Luke
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Fozzie

Post by Hog »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I have to go with CW's judgement on this one.

Oddly, perhaps, I can see Wilder's line of thinking. LF has not been great over the past 7-8 weeks. He looked at fault at Kidderminster went he was grounded inside two minutes when big Matthews scored from close in and then he was dismissed against Barrow for bringing down their forward in the box when they had barely threatened at that point. He was far from great in the replay apparently and I felt it was Foster who allowed Todd to head in that equaliser at Salisbury last week. I don't think CW would scapegoat one player for the failure to beat Barrow but you never know.

I have also thought that Foster struggled badly against the likes of Brodie, Rankin, Wright (Histon), Louis (Crawley) and big Damian Spencer at Kettering back in August.

CW feels that Foster is surplus to requirements and that Jake Wright and Rhys Day - to a lesser extent - are better players so we will find out when we next see some action!

I personally don't see LF being good enough for the Football League
if I am honest but I have enjoyed watching him for the best part of three years. CW knows a decent centre half when he sees one.
Oddly, perhaps, you've never mentioned this before!
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

And Bulman
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotOld Abingdonian&quot wrote:Luke: Chris, did you know my contract was up in the summer?
Chris: Yes, Luke, that's one of the things a manager is paid for.
Luke: And...?
Chris: And?
Luke: Well, it's about time we had one of those little negotiation thingies, and then it goes up on the website that I've signed for another two years, and ...
Chris: That's if you are going to get an new contract, Luke
Luke: You what?
Chris: See, Luke, it's tough because we don't know what league we will be in, who else will be available, how well young Jake will shape up, ....
Luke: But I'm one of your best players, Chris... Aren't I, Chris?
Chris: That's one of the things a manager is paid for, Luke
Luke: Well, I'm a free agent, Chris
Chris: Exactly, Luke
You should ask the producers of the Grenoble Farm soap opera for a job, though I’ve heard a rumour that that they don’t pay very much.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

The following are all relative comments - I'm not being critical of the individual players who are all right up there as being close to best in class in the division, but:

Don't agree about Clarke - he's good but there are lots of good keepers.
Don't agree about Creighton - he's good, especially in the air, but he's slow and his distribution under pressure sometimes looks hurried.
Batt I'm minded to give you that one - I really like him as a player.
Murray is overrated in my view. He gives the ball away 10 times as much as he completes an incisive pass and defensively he isn't the best.

I think Foster is better (for his position) than all those (for their positions) except Batt, who apart from Costable is the best player in the squad.

The only conclusion I can reach is that it is down to money in that the club know they wiill not be able to remotely match Foster's current contract come May &amp so want to free up the wages now. I don't imagine that Tonkin was cheap.

Oh and btw Meeeow!
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.