Away Form

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Away Form

Post by SmileyMan »

5 points from last 5 away games. Something to worry about, or just a blip?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Depends what the FGR result is. Anything other than a win will be something a bit more worrying than a blip.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

A possible worry yes but I'd have taken an average of a point a game away from home at the start of the season. If we can win every home game and draw every away game that will do just fine from here on in. 96 points should do it easily.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:A possible worry yes but I'd have taken an average of a point a game away from home at the start of the season. If we can win every home game and draw every away game that will do just fine from here on in. 96 points should do it easily.
46 x an average 2pts per game = 92.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:A possible worry yes but I'd have taken an average of a point a game away from home at the start of the season. If we can win every home game and draw every away game that will do just fine from here on in. 96 points should do it easily.
54 = 27 x an average 2 points per game
43 = points already gained.
__

97 points

i assume mally's been extra clever and checked that it's 13 home games and 14 away games to go = 53 points, but i can't be arsed to check.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Very true. The only problem is that we won't win every home game from here on in, so we have to average slightly more than 1 point per away game. However, we are still ahead of the 2 points per game target, so no need to start worrying yet.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
__

97 points

i assume mally's been extra clever and checked that it's 13 home games and 14 away games to go = 53 points, but i can't be arsed to check.
Correct, although I don't think it's extra clever to base a prediction of points on actual games we have left.

Of course we should go out and try to win every game but if we were to average 1 point away and 3 at home then that would do it. Of course in reality we will win some away games and draw some of the home ones but it is possible to average 4 points for each virtual pair.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: 46 x an average 2pts per game = 92.
__

97 points

Correct, although I don't think it's extra clever to base a prediction of points on actual games we have left.

Of course we should go out and try to win every game but if we were to average 1 point away and 3 at home then that would do it. Of course in reality we will win some away games and draw some of the home ones but it is possible to average 4 points for each virtual pair.
Since we have been in the BSP. the most points gained by the 2nd place team is 86. Based on the premise that if you have 1 more point than the 2nd placed team then you must be 1st - then we really only need 87.

With only 44 to go, we are nearly half way there.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

Since we have been in the BSP. the most points gained by the 2nd place team is 86. Based on the premise that if you have 1 more point than the 2nd placed team then you must be 1st :oops: - then we really only need 87.

Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
Since we have been in the BSP. the most points gained by the 2nd place team is 86. Based on the premise that if you have 1 more point than the 2nd placed team then you must be 1st :oops: - then we really only need 87.

one chicken, two chickens, three chickens....
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotMatt D&quot wrote: 54 = 27 x an average 2 points per game
__

97 points

Since we have been in the BSP. the most points gained by the 2nd place team is 86. Based on the premise that if you have 1 more point than the 2nd placed team then you must be 1st - then we really only need 87.

Prior to a few years ago, what was the highest score that the 22nd placed team had ever reached in League 2, and would 49 pts have beaten it?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I wrote a program once which determined how many points were needed to guarantee being champions, guarantee a playoff place, avoid relegation etc.

Unfortunately I lost it in a job move, but I could probably re-write it. This far out from the end of the season it's pretty much pointless anyway.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:

OK it may have appeared that way - but thats not what was intended - just very poor phraseology on my part.
Perhaps I should have said we, or any other club for that matter, could possibly achieve automatice promotion with 87 pts - and Oxford are not quite half way there.

I just happen to have a list of 'goals' I would like Oxford to achieve by the time we have played 23 games - and getting to 44 pts is the first of them. If and when we achieve that goal - I will tick that box and move on to the next goal - 46 pts in 23 matches - etc.
48 50 51 and 55 are also on my 'played 23' list.

But - one match at a time - the last 'target' may well have to be changed.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

We should also consider the distinct possibility that one of Stevenage, Kettering, Mansfield or Luton will score more than 86 points.

Stevenage &amp Kettering are averaging 2pts per game so over the season this makes 92pts.

Mansfield's average is slightly less and Luton's is slightly less again.

I'm gonna stick my neck on the block and say that 92 points is needed to win it. That means we need another 1.8pts per game or to put it another way, 14 wins, 7 draws and 6 defeats (I think).
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:
OK it may have appeared that way - but thats not what was intended - just very poor phraseology on my part.
Perhaps I should have said we, or any other club for that matter, could possibly achieve automatice promotion with 87 pts - and Oxford are not quite half way there.

I just happen to have a list of 'goals' I would like Oxford to achieve by the time we have played 23 games - and getting to 44 pts is the first of them. If and when we achieve that goal - I will tick that box and move on to the next goal - 46 pts in 23 matches - etc.
48 50 51 and 55 are also on my 'played 23' list.

But - one match at a time - the last 'target' may well have to be changed.
Not sure what the chickens were doing, but I now see your premise that if you are ahead of the team in second, you must be first.

I read it as if say Aldershot have 101, and Cambridge 86, then 87 is good enough.

However, 81 to 86 points is normally only good enough for a play-off position. I think this season will be fairly tight at the top with us, Kettering, Luton Mansfield, Stevenage and York all being there or thereabout. 87 might be enough, all depends how these top clubs do against each other and the lower teams.