We're not unbeatable

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
And having watched the goals again I have to say it was Gilly who missed the tackle on Bettsy to allow them to set up the winner.
yes, but in a defensive line-up such as we field there should be cover for someone who slips a tackle like that. for me the guilty parties were anaclet and whoever else it was trying to hustle oakes, when in fact the just seemed to watch him run past with the ball.

burgess and duffy were obviously missed by us, but i agree with mally, this is more about the strength of the squad. wycombe were missing torres and doherty, who have both been extremely impressive when i've seen them play, and easter, who seems to be in real form. 3 key players, and a load of others listed, not sure how important they are to their squad.

the difference was, wycombe bossed most of the game with all of them missing. the players they had to bring in were better than the options we had.
Lack of depth of squad and missing players like Burgess and Duffy amounts to the same thing doesn't it? We miss them because there is no one to replace them adequately.

The conclusion that WW squad is therefore better quality in depth is probably true and understandable given the respective pyramid positions and difference in wage cap calculations.

Agree also about missed tackles. The main point of 3 centre backs v 2 centre backs is to provide cover.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Is the thread title giving anybody else an earwom of the Jags?
entirely disenchanted
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

The problem with using this tie to compare how we would have fared if we had stayed up is of course that we would probably have been able to compile a better squad in the summer if we still had league status. Saying that however, it is a shame that we couldn't haev faced Stockport in the first round to test us against the dross before meeting one of the few decent sides.

In terms of cover, I have to wonder whether it really is a coincidence that Beechers went out on loan two days before we had a striker shortage, given that Gunn initially went to didcot the day before we had a central defender shortage.....I've been arguing all along that we've got these guys here, so we might as well use them, as something is better than nothing.

I would actually like to see us give the FA trophy a good try this year, as it will be a long time before we go into a cup competition as favourites again and it will do noone any harm to put together a good cup run and perhaps even add a piece of silverware to the cabinet.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i'd hoped i could post this up as an appropriate puzzle for the day after the wycombe game. sadly it's no longer appropriate, but i enjoyed the OUFC/football related crossword clues from a while ago, so here's the clue from last week's oxford times anyway:

Distraught Wanderer approached. (4,4)
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Not sure about the eticate for these but the answer is 'drew near'

I also like telling people what is going to happen in films that they haven't seen yet.

I thank you.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Curiously enough it was in the Black Boy before an Oxford game that another fan told me what happens at the end of Thelma and Louise. And Speed.

It was a Peanuts cartoon, however, that ruined Citizen Kane for me.
entirely disenchanted
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
And having watched the goals again I have to say it was Gilly who missed the tackle on Bettsy to allow them to set up the winner.
yes, but in a defensive line-up such as we field there should be cover for someone who slips a tackle like that. for me the guilty parties were anaclet and whoever else it was trying to hustle oakes, when in fact the just seemed to watch him run past with the ball.
Yup, agree they were guilty too. But Gilly should have known better than to have gone to ground. But footballers make mistakes - we've just got to get on with it. It was just unfortunate that three of them didn't do their jobs properly all at the same time. And the marking for the first goal was very poor.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Not sure about the eticate for these but the answer is 'drew near'

I also like telling people what is going to happen in films that they haven't seen yet.

I thank you.
WINNER.

i'm not sure there are any rules to it, but you can think that you were the first to get it from a competitive field if you like. :)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:, it is a shame that we couldn't haev faced Stockport in the first round to test us against the dross before meeting one of the few decent sides.
That would be the same Stockport that have won all but one of their last 6 games including turning over high flying Lincoln. Their only defeat being in the meaningless (unless its the final) FL Trophy.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:It was a Peanuts cartoon, however, that ruined Citizen Kane for me.
Oddly enough, the fact that it's over-rated tosh spoiled it for me.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:, it is a shame that we couldn't haev faced Stockport in the first round to test us against the dross before meeting one of the few decent sides.
That would be the same Stockport that have won all but one of their last 6 games including turning over high flying Lincoln. Their only defeat being in the meaningless (unless its the final) FL Trophy.
I refer the honourable gentlemen to the previous thread where I label all of the north west division 2 sides as dross regardless of any show of actual ability and form.

What I actually meant was that given that Div 2 is basically made up of half dozen or so sides clear at the top (as last year), then the rest who are all fairly even, it would have been better to have met one of the rest before meeting one of the top few...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:,
I refer the honourable gentlemen to the previous thread where I label all of the north west division 2 sides as dross regardless of any show of actual ability and form.

&quotHonourable gentleman&quot ... that will do for me. You must be right.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

You obviously don't listen to Prime Minsters questions very often. If you did you'd realise that &quotHonourable Gentleman&quot was a euphemism for &quotWanker opposite&quot :D
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotYou may think that, but I of course could not possibly comment&quot if I remember FU correctly...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:&quotYou may think that, but I of course could not possibly comment&quot if I remember FU correctly...
I've been called a wanker (and plenty of other things) so many times I'm immune. I don't know if I've ever been called just a gentleman though