The Cull has begun

Anything yellow and blue
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Strange how people have picked on these things so quickly with Batt. I'd feel much more confident with a decent winger running at Batt than at either CC or Clarke.
In my opinion he's the best fullback at the club, I wonder why people have decided against him so fast.

Another plus with Batt is the speed it takes him to get in position after Billy collects the ball. Were always screaming for quick distribution from Billy, but rarely are the fullbacks in a good enough position to receive the ball. This has improved significantly since Batt has been in the side and no doubt on of the big things Wilder wants to see his team doing. Probably why he's looking for a replacement for CC (Killock/Sandwith).
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:In my opinion he's the best fullback at the club, I wonder why people have decided against him so fast.
So do I.

It's not as though we are letting in many goals or are luckily getting away with conceding at the moment and Batt is part of the back line that is achieving this.

As for his (and everyone else's for that matter) showing against better teams - Burton / League 2 sides / Torquay (?) - We'll just have to wait and see. And if a half decent winger destroys him I'll acknowledge that you spotted this coming Geoff.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Geoff »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:In my opinion he's the best fullback at the club, I wonder why people have decided against him so fast.
So do I.

It's not as though we are letting in many goals or are luckily getting away with conceding at the moment and Batt is part of the back line that is achieving this.

As for his (and everyone else's for that matter) showing against better teams - Burton / League 2 sides / Torquay (?) - We'll just have to wait and see. And if a half decent winger destroys him I'll acknowledge that you spotted this coming Geoff.
Thanks Baboo.

I haven't decided against him yet, he hasn't played that many games. I just think he looks better going forward than defending.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:I just think he looks better going forward than defending
Totally agree, but I still think he's the best defending full-back at the club. I don't think that the fact he is even better at going forward is a bad thing.

If he does get skinned by a half decent winger then I'll be thankful that Batt is playing over anyone else at the club as at least he has a chance of making up the space and staying on the pitch.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Full backs often look worse than they are, as their mistakes are often more costly than other players.

In the way we look at the goals scored and chances created by strikers, as a method of assessment, we should look at goal threats prevented by full backs.

Batt rarely makes mistakes that result in a serious goal threat, unlike Carruthers for example.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Is Batt up against anyone good on Saturday?
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Just for the record. It wasn't me who made Batt weakest link on Saturday.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Just for the record. It wasn't me who made Batt weakest link on Saturday.
Fair enough