The Cull has begun

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

The Cull has begun

Post by Mooro »

Ok, we already knew about one of these after James Clarke decided to drive home with his mind not fully on the task after being told, but Wilder has also made Burnell the new hutchison (told he can go with a year left on his contract). Would not be surprised to see Day on his way too.

The cynic in me suspects that Messrs Taylor &amp Fisher will start next season at the same clubs for whom they are currently playing, while for Groves, ROS Benjamin &amp Sampson the OSC will represent the only other time they ever pull on a senior shirt for the Us. As for Deering???
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The Cull has begun

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Ok, we already knew about one of these after James Clarke decided to drive home with his mind not fully on the task after being told,
Sorry, have I missed something here?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Ok, we already knew about one of these after James Clarke decided to drive home with his mind not fully on the task after being told, but Wilder has also made Burnell the new hutchison (told he can go with a year left on his contract). Would not be surprised to see Day on his way too.

The cynic in me suspects that Messrs Taylor &amp Fisher will start next season at the same clubs for whom they are currently playing, while for Groves, ROS Benjamin &amp Sampson the OSC will represent the only other time they ever pull on a senior shirt for the Us. As for Deering???
He signed a 2 1/2 yr contract didn't he?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:Ok, we already knew about one of these after James Clarke decided to drive home with his mind not fully on the task after being told, but Wilder has also made Burnell the new hutchison (told he can go with a year left on his contract). Would not be surprised to see Day on his way too.

He signed a 2 1/2 yr contract didn't he?
The article on club site:
http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 28,00.html

Yes, Deering was announced as having signed a 2 1/2 yr deal earlier this season, but when Clarke signed pro in Dec07, that was announced as being a 2.5yr contract, which means he should have a year left, yet the above article suggests he was OOC this coming summer.
With Burnell also being shipped out after only one year of two year contract, then it seems very little reliance can be put on these things.

According to previously announced contract details, it appears that apart from the three above (two of which are being kicked out) only Turley, Foster &amp Murray have deals into next season, so another summer of revolving doors awaits it seems.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:Ok, we already knew about one of these after James Clarke decided to drive home with his mind not fully on the task after being told,
Sorry, have I missed something here?
Reports were that certain players were told of their future with or not with the club on the afternoon that James Clarke crashed his car on the way home from training.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

well, any doubts about batt's quality were ended on saturday, so i was wrong. but i don't understand why clarke can't be cheap cover.

i hope the talk about some of the other young oxford players is wrong too.

you can't gripe about what wilder's done with us since he arrived, but if i said i understood the reasoning behind that kind of decision i'd be lying.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Burnell isn't good enough.

Clarke I'm disappointed about as the lad has talent and can't be very expensive, but these are tough financial times.

I doubt any player will be kicked out as that would mean paying up their contracts, unless a cheap pay out can be agreed. But they will have been told no doubt hat they can't expect another game in the first XI barring emergencies and so their future lies elsewhere if they can find a club.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

By my reckoning we now only have Turley, Foster, Deering and Murray contracted beyond May, so lots more speculation and contract activity to come in the next few months.

Edit: And Clist.
Last edited by Snake on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:well, any doubts about batt's quality were ended on saturday, so i was wrong. .
I'm not so sure you were wrong. I've read several comments about Batt's 'great performance' on Saturday and disagree with them all. Batt left too much space on a number of occasions for their left winger to run at him. Of all Wilder's signings he is the one who convinces the least.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I'm a big Batt fan. Excellent and very talented right back, as I've eulogised before.
Gottagetbetta
Embryo

Post by Gottagetbetta »

Clarke started well, but he didn't seem to progress in the way, say Deering was doing. He seemed to resort to some fairly agricultural tackles when he was beaten. Not good enough at this level. Burnell I don't think we saw the best of, but I think he was brought in by Patterson to do the sort of job that Clist is starting to do with much more craft and a better distribution. I don't think Fisher or Taylor will feature in the CW plans for next season, tho' Taylor might ahead of Fisher. I would expect Day and Quinn to depart at the end of the season, but I would expect him to keep - or try to keep as many of the current squad not currently contracted. Its fun being a United supporter at the moment, lets enjoy it and hope it lasts!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotGeoff Batt left too much space on a number of occasions for their left winger to run at him. Of all Wilder's signings he is the one who convinces the least.[/quote]

Possibly, but I did not think it was that noticable. On Saturday's showing I thought any possibly defensive frailties were well outweighed by what he added going forward. Lots of running, wanted the ball and confident when he got it. Top quality pass to Nelly.

As for leaving too much space, that is a critisism I have levelled at CC earlier in the season but not so much now.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Can't argue with much of what Wilder has done to date.

Clarke started very well and has not progressed as maybe expected. Burnell has been poor and can only thionk that Clist is better.

I would like to nsee Fisher kept as he does seem a decent finisher, but I guess with the financial constraints inevitable everybody needs to be able to challenge for the first team.

For what it's worth I think that Batt has shown an awful lot more than Clarke in the time he has been here.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Clarke has only started three games under Wilder, and one as sub. Not sure if he’s being got rid of due to money or other issues behind the scenes as he’s certainly not been given much of a chance to impress on the field. I’m also a Batt fan now, but where is the cover for him should he be injured?

As for Fisher, he certainly seems to be doing the job at Court Place Farm and from being relegation fodder in December City now have about as much chance as us of getting promotion.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Geoff »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotGeoff Batt left too much space on a number of occasions for their left winger to run at him. Of all Wilder's signings he is the one who convinces the least.[/quote wrote:
Possibly, but I did not think it was that noticable. On Saturday's showing I thought any possibly defensive frailties were well outweighed by what he added going forward. .
A full back's defensive duties are much more important than his attacking ones. He just needs to play with a straight Batt. :D