Patto back for Saturday?

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:But then GY this is why you pay more for your seat. From the clubs point of view I suspect that if your kids weren't sitting in their seat then another fan would want to as it sounds like one of the better ones in the ground - why then shouldn't they make a bit of money out of it? I think the kids prices are pretty good and it gives you a choice, either sit with your mates and kids and pay a bit more or sit with your kids and pay a bit less. As you prefer to sit in one of the better seats with people you know then you pay more for it - but there are other options for you.

Look upon it as an investment for the future, when we're back in the league getting decent crowds again your kids will have one of the best seats in the house.

- I don't have kids btw but at the Manor I was also taken into the family stand and I enjoyed it very much as I could get the players autographs before the game (Steve Bull was the best as he spent ages signing everyones - Vinny Jones just ignored as all) and was sat with people my age.
No, that doesn't explain it Ty.

In fact, as I suggested above, the low crowds are a good indicator of overpricing.
Er, not at Chelsea / Man Utd etc it isn't. Quality of football is a better factor for low crowds, one would suggest.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:If anyone can put together a coherent, sanitised version of the 'wings of a sparrow' song for the benefit of 8 year old football supporters you are a better man than me, Gunga Din.
If I had the wings of a sparrow
If I had the face of a crow
I'd fly over Scumdon tomorrow
And spit on the masters below
Spit on, spit on, spit on the masters below, below.
etc.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Beautifully crafted.

Well done, Mr Din.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

if i had the bum of a mammoth,
if i had the wings of a crow,
i'd fly over sw*ndon tomorrow,
then sit on the rascals below, below...
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

If I had the wings of a sparrow
If I had the arse of a crow
I'd fly over that nasty place down the A420
And sh1t on the bastads below, below

There, cleaned it up for you.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:GY - I don't disagree that on the day prices are far too high accross the board and it will put quite a lot of people off coming should the weather be good, they suddenly feel like going to the football.

I could sort of understand the view when we had decent crowds and they didn't want huge ticket office queues (after all it's not hard to ring up beforehand) but yes with the lower crowds there seems to be little point in the difference, although the loss of revenue from this would be differcult given our finances.

I would also suggest that it's not the prices that are causing low crowds at the moment it's the fact that Oxford fans have put up with years of rubbish and have simply said thats enough - I know I did when it came to the decision to renew a season ticket this year, although I have been making good use of my lucky 7 recently!
I would argue that 7 years of rubbish (surely it's longer than 7 years!!) whilst prices keep rising equates with prices are too high because there isnt the demand at those prices. I suspect we would both reach the same conclusion if we continued this to ultimatum.

If it was free, the stadium would be full each week. If it was £1000 per match the stadium would be empty. Therefore the correct price lies in the balance of demand and turnover need to create profit and raise capital. Usual hum drum economic stuff.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:And for the record she has NEVER got bored, whinged or kicked the back of the seat in front and if she ever had I'd have dealt with it accordingly. I believe she and the vast majority of kids who attend the Grenoble Road Stadium are a whole let less annoying or tiresome than many of the boorish, halfwitted adults!
Yeah yeah we've heard it all before - my kid is perfect and would never annoy anyone.
Thanks for your contribution. I don't think you've met her have you? Perfect she ain't and she can certainly annoy me but it's a little unfair to tar all kids with the same brush don't you think?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:But then GY this is why you pay more for your seat. From the clubs point of view I suspect that if your kids weren't sitting in their seat then another fan would want to as it sounds like one of the better ones in the ground - why then shouldn't they make a bit of money out of it? I think the kids prices are pretty good and it gives you a choice, either sit with your mates and kids and pay a bit more or sit with your kids and pay a bit less. As you prefer to sit in one of the better seats with people you know then you pay more for it - but there are other options for you.

Look upon it as an investment for the future, when we're back in the league getting decent crowds again your kids will have one of the best seats in the house.

- I don't have kids btw but at the Manor I was also taken into the family stand and I enjoyed it very much as I could get the players autographs before the game (Steve Bull was the best as he spent ages signing everyones - Vinny Jones just ignored as all) and was sat with people my age.
No, that doesn't explain it Ty.

In fact, as I suggested above, the low crowds are a good indicator of overpricing.
Er, not at Chelsea / Man Utd etc it isn't. Quality of football is a better factor for low crowds, one would suggest.
Far from it RM. The fact is that Chelsea/Man Ure play at the top of the football pyramid and by virtue of demand can charge prices that clubs like OUFC can only dream of. OUFC play at a low level and therefore demand is low and prices must be much less.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow In fact, as I suggested above, the low crowds are a good indicator of overpricing. [/quote]

Low?
It depends what you are comparing with - capacity yes.
But we are starting to get 4000 home supporters turning up again.
We are the best supported team in the BSP.
We are in our 3rd season at this level so perhaps it is surprising that gates are still so high.
Low? I am not so sure.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:And for the record she has NEVER got bored, whinged or kicked the back of the seat in front and if she ever had I'd have dealt with it accordingly. I believe she and the vast majority of kids who attend the Grenoble Road Stadium are a whole let less annoying or tiresome than many of the boorish, halfwitted adults!
Yeah yeah we've heard it all before - my kid is perfect and would never annoy anyone.
Thanks for your contribution. I don't think you've met her have you? Perfect she ain't and she can certainly annoy me but it's a little unfair to tar all kids with the same brush don't you think?
That's an interesting take on my comment. If you read it again you will realise I'm tarring all parents with the same brush not the kids.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Was having a browse to see if I could find a stagsnet Mansfield town game review.
Instead I found their February ticket offers for family and children..
- season ticket holders - an additional adult and 2 children for £16 or £14 depending on which stand, if booked prior to the game
- non-season ticket holders - 2 adults and 2 children for £34 or £30 depending on which stand, if booked prior to the game
- last 8 home games - 2 adults and 2 children for £192 or £168

good idea? would it work at Oxford? or will it annoy season ticket holders who have already paid out at the &quotfull&quot rate?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Was having a browse to see if I could find a stagsnet Mansfield town game review.
Instead I found their February ticket offers for family and children..
- season ticket holders - an additional adult and 2 children for £16 or £14 depending on which stand, if booked prior to the game
- non-season ticket holders - 2 adults and 2 children for £34 or £30 depending on which stand, if booked prior to the game
- last 8 home games - 2 adults and 2 children for £192 or £168

good idea? would it work at Oxford? or will it annoy season ticket holders who have already paid out at the &quotfull&quot rate?
I don’t think it would annoy ST holders, and I would hope those that have ST want to see as many people in the ground as possible.

What it might do though is to discourage future ST sales if people knew that these kind of offers would be available should they be oscillating on whether to buy next summer. Ditto for the Lucky 7 offer.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:GY -
If it was free, the stadium would be full each week. .
I may be wrong, but sadly I don't reckon it would be full each week if it was free.

Sure for the first 2-3 games maybe. But then? It would be down to how we were playing and what results we achieved. There are a certain number of people interetsed in OUFC and most of the casual supporters are driven more by the entertainment on offer than the price.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:GY -
If it was free, the stadium would be full each week. .
I may be wrong, but sadly I don't reckon it would be full each week if it was free.

Sure for the first 2-3 games maybe. But then? It would be down to how we were playing and what results we achieved. There are a certain number of people interetsed in OUFC and most of the casual supporters are driven more by the entertainment on offer than the price.
Absolutely correct - it’s not all about money. I mean, there were only 7,500 home fans in attendance for the Orient game (plus a few dozen hanging over the fence) and you would have thought that was worth less than twenty quid of anyone’s money.

However, I’d still like the club to try this kind of free entry experiment next year with something like a Setanta Shield game, so long as the away side allows it and we still have to enter that poxy competition.

//

By the way, it seems like not many unemployed people took up the offer last Saturday as the crowd was more or less what was expected.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: In fact, as I suggested above, the low crowds are a good indicator of overpricing.
Low?
It depends what you are comparing with - capacity yes.
But we are starting to get 4000 home supporters turning up again.
We are the best supported team in the BSP.
We are in our 3rd season at this level so perhaps it is surprising that gates are still so high.
Low? I am not so sure.
Sure 4,000 is not low compared to others at this level, but it is low compared to historical OUFC support. Get the price right and the fans will turn up, but people won't pay over-inflated prices to see low level football.