The Soul of Football

Anything yellow and blue
amershamwrighty
Puberty

The Soul of Football

Post by amershamwrighty »

Lampard, 30 years of age, seeking a 5 year contract at £140kpw. Ronaldo apparently worth £60m. Season tickets in London at £1kpa.

....and then I'm walking out of Maidenhead's ground yesterday and a Club Official thanks me for coming and wishes me a safe journey home.

At a pub near the Ebbsfleet ground last season, a barmaid asks if I mind 'having my beer in a plastic glass'.

At Burton, a steward tells me there isn't any segregation but 'would you mind sitting over there with the other Oxford fans ?'.

Tinpot - probably.

But following OUFC is also about the overall experience, and not pouring money into the mouths of the few.

Am I just an old sentimentalist ?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Not at all Amersham Wrighty. We (Raging Fever) have just returned from Worldnet - a tournament where 64 teams of supporters get together for a weekend and have a good old fashioned kickabout. It's noticeable how few Premiershi* sides have fans teams despite the number of fans they have!

I genuinely believe that with the smaller clubs having more 'soul' the fans want to get together more and represent their club hence the proliferation of lower league sides that have a fans team. Also the nonsense fixture schedule in the aforementioned Premiershi* doesn't allow many fans games to take place on a Saturday morning before the main match.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

At both Rochdale and Macclesfield, stewards advised me on how to pay less to get the family in.