Corky

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Corky

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I know that Corcoran can't continue to be loaned to us through the play offs, but what happens if he is released by Cardiff? Can we then sign him and use him in the play offs (wage cap permitting).
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I would presume that the transfer window doesn't open until after the playoffs and cups are finished, but I'm not 100% certain.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

I think GY is implying if Corcoran is released and his contract ended with Cardiff then he will be a free agent and therefore his signing would not need to be within the transfer window. Would be good to see, but wishful thinking i fear.

Nice to hear his interview on Radio Oxford after the game about how gutted he'll be to not get to play at wembley, but is hoping to go and cheer the boys on anyway. Good team spirit seeing as he won't technically be our player at that point.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:I think GY is implying if Corcoran is released and his contract ended with Cardiff then he will be a free agent and therefore his signing would not need to be within the transfer window. Would be good to see, but wishful thinking i fear.

Nice to hear his interview on Radio Oxford after the game about how gutted he'll be to not get to play at wembley, but is hoping to go and cheer the boys on anyway. Good team spirit seeing as he won't technically be our player at that point.
That is what I meant, but I'm a little more hopeful than you. Corky is in talks with Cardiff this week to discuss his future. There would be little point in him doing so if there were not a reasonable chance of him being released.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I would have thought that the transfer deadline would mean that we can't sign him until next season even if he is released.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotMally&quot wrote:I would have thought that the transfer deadline would mean that we can't sign him until next season even if he is released.
Hmmm! Good point, I predict a special FA meeting on the subject.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

My understanding is that the transfer deadline does not apply to free agents, hense the signing of Luke Foster and Rufus Brevitt both outside the deadline.

I did hear Mickey was having talks with Cardiff and I will be waiting with everything crossed in the hope he wants to join us. It comes across that he really enjoys his football and maybe the lure of regular first team football even with the possibility of it still being at conference level, can go in our favour.

As I said, I'm keeping everything crossed as he's been brilliant since he came in and I'd really love to see another season with him at the back.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Yes, but Mally is referring to the transfer deadline which stops teams shipping in loads of good players at the end of the season to avoid relegation / gain promotion etc.
Last edited by A-Ro on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Ah, hadn't thought of that.

I'd hope that it not being a transfer as such then it wouldn't matter, but that might not be the view of the FA. I shall wait and hope.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Yes, but Mally is referring to the transfer deadline which stops teams shipping in loads of good players at the end of the season to avoid relegation / gain promotion etc.
Do we know when the final deadline is? I've got a nagging thought that it is 30 April, but I'm far from certain.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

30th April is after the last league game so I would have expected it to be some time before that.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:Ah, hadn't thought of that.

I'd hope that it not being a transfer as such then it wouldn't matter, but that might not be the view of the FA. I shall wait and hope.
As far as the FA is concerned because it will be a transfer of registration.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

No, there is still an old-fashioned near-the-end-of-the-season transfer deadline which includes all signings of whatever type.
Sadly, I seem to remember historically this being towards the end of March and I have seen references on Non League sites with regards to some sort of deadline on Thursday of last week, so.....

...I dont think we can get him whatever..

However, if he is released, should he be our first signing for next season?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Last Thursday was the deadline for loan signings. It doesn't apply to clubs who have nothing left to play for (ie they can't get promoted and they can't get relegated). As far as I'm aware there is no deadline for signing players who are free agents.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:However, if he is released, should he be our first signing for next season?
Absolutely. Particularly if we can't get Danny Rose.

I really hope next year we don't go down the old has-beens route again. I'd much rather a squad of hungry, ambitious youngsters (supported by a bit of experience (but not too old) such as Willmott and Quinn) don the yellow shirt than a bunch of past-its looking for one last payout.