Rosie's Testimonial

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Rosie's Testimonial

Post by A-Ro »

If you want to sit in your seat for Rosie's testimonial on April 30th then I should get your ticket now. The Club are not giving first refusal to Season Ticket holders because &quotit's not in the season&quot

How that is going to work if we have to go through the playoffs is beyond me.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

This information can of course be used in two ways.

Firstly as an honest attempt to secure your own seat.

or Secondly to P!55 off your best mate big time by buying his ticket and giving it your Mrs. / girlfriend / boyfriend / new mate etc.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I was thinking of using this game toventure into the North or East Stands for first time ever.
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Can someone briefly give me a reason for a testimonial? Obviously it honors a former player/servant of the club but what else is the point? Does the player honored get to keep the gate money or some such? I can't remember another testimonial in the 8 or so years I've supported the club so I was wondering about this as this is a pretty foreign concept here in the States.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotZeke&quot wrote:Can someone briefly give me a reason for a testimonial? Obviously it honors a former player/servant of the club but what else is the point? Does the player honored get to keep the gate money or some such? I can't remember another testimonial in the 8 or so years I've supported the club so I was wondering about this as this is a pretty foreign concept here in the States.
Yes - to honour a servant of the club &amp they get to keep the gate money after expenses, although a lot of people will / may give their time for free.
No testimonials under Kassam, although there has been talk of there being one for Joey for years &amp the most deserving case of all - Dave Langan. But talk is one thing, someone getting their fingers out and actually organising it is another.
Last edited by Baboo on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotZeke&quot wrote:Can someone briefly give me a reason for a testimonial? Obviously it honors a former player/servant of the club but what else is the point? Does the player honored get to keep the gate money or some such? I can't remember another testimonial in the 8 or so years I've supported the club so I was wondering about this as this is a pretty foreign concept here in the States.
Yes essentially its financial gain for the recipient of the testimonial. Testimonials are fairly common in football and cricket, though less so than in years gone by. Kassam more or less put a stop to them because they would have cost him money, which is why you haven't noticed any.

In the fifties and sixties, players got a testimonial after 5 years and after 10 years, but then the wages were much less of course.

A testimonial might not just be the match, there may well be dinners and other events as well.

The events are run by a testimonial committee on behalf of the player, as to get the testimonial money tax free, the player is not allowed to be involved in the organisation of the benefits.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

It seems Rosie is getting a few stars of yesteryear together: anyone know if this is for a curtainraiser to the main game between the current squad and a Chelsea X1 or does he expect them to play in the main game? If it's the latter I think I'd prefer to post a tenner in and stay at home rather than watch a load of 40 (50?) somethings try and re-live their youth :oops:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

What was the last testimonial match our club organised then?

The last one I can remember was for Ken Fish (against Aston Villa?). And the only other two I can recall were for Billy Hamilton (against a Northern Irish XI) and Gary Briggs (against Slumdon), but they were both in the mid-80's, shortly after I started supporting the U's.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I guess the last one was for Mike Ford against a ManUre XI - can't remember when it was though. 2000ish?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

8 May 2000, to be precise.

I wonder if Fordy's antics at his post-match meal in the Town Hall might have put the club off testimonials for a while?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

It was in the dining hall of Christchurch College from what I recall of the night. It was a very posh dinner jacket jobbie as well.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Actually it's Christ Church (two words) and no College in the title. It's the only Oxford College that doesn't call itself College. Having spent 6 years there in the late 70's/early 80's I know how precious this is to them :roll:

http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:8 May 2000, to be precise.

I wonder if Fordy's antics at his post-match meal in the Town Hall might have put the club off testimonials for a while?
Mike Ford's testimonial dinner at Christ Church was very much pre match from what I remember. It was towards the end of 1998 or possibly early 1999. From what I remember it was Matt Elliott (a then Pemiership and Scotland international player) who looked most under the influence on the night.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Actually it's Christ Church (two words) and no College in the title. It's the only Oxford College that doesn't call itself College. Having spent 6 years there in the late 70's/early 80's I know how precious this is to them
The Hice.
entirely disenchanted
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:8 May 2000, to be precise.

I went to his do - at Christchurch College. It was hardly a bunfight. Quite restrained really.