Oh Danny Boy

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Oh Danny Boy

Post by Mooro »

First signing of the window - from (of all places) Manchester United!

Signed on a month loan and straight into squad for Saturday (according to text updates):

&quotDanny Rose is a combative midfielder and captain of United's Reserve team.

A good passer of the ball, Danny is also a tough tackler and possesses the ability to get forward and score goals.

Rose netted eight times in 22 appearances for the Under-18s during the 2005/06 campaign, finishing second top scorer as Paul McGuinness’ side ended the season as runners up in the league.

He also made the step up to the Reserves that year and featured in nine matches as the Reds' second string went on to clinch the title.

At the
start of the 2006/07 campaign, Danny was made Reserve team captain and has been a regular in Brian McClair's side this term.&quot

(taken from official MU website)
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

There you go. The value of Jim and his contacts / friends
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:There you go. The value of Jim and his contacts / friends
Agreed - I said I had faith in Jim. Whats all this talk about Jim not giving kids a chance?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

What are the chances of a young Pompey midfielder coming in on loan next? Scott Harris and Marc Wilson are two young midfielders languishing at the bottom end of the Pompey squad.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
Agreed - I said I had faith in Jim. Whats all this talk about Jim not giving kids a chance?
He likes other people's kids, just not his own!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotMally&quot wrote:What are the chances of a young Pompey midfielder coming in on loan next? Scott Harris and Marc Wilson are two young midfielders languishing at the bottom end of the Pompey squad.
Remote. I reckon it'll be an old bloke from Brighton.
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

Looks like an excellent signing and proves that the bald one does have a few friends.

Lets hope for a couple more and really blow this league apart.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Santos -

Post by Swissbloke »

From an Ipswich season ticket holding mate ....&quotHe was absolute shit for us!! Always getting booked and sent off, immobile, easy to beat but quite good in the air! He was really good at QPR though I think he was player of the year in his first season so he might be okay for you! &quot
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
He likes other people's kids, just not his own!
I don't think it's a question of him not liking to play kids, I think it's more that he doesn't reckon those we've got (except Anaclet and Day) are up to it. And I'd not be disinclined to agree with him (I think - double negatives confuse me. I mean, I suspect that he's right, and I'm certainly prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, given his managerial record). Having seen them play several times for the reserves over the past couple of seasons, I don't think that either Beechers or Kennet are up to first team standard yet (if ever), although I do reckon that Gunn could be a future star (then again, I thought that about Rob Lovegrove, and look what happened to him). Younie, Benjamin, Meade, and Anderson are the others who could breakthrough in the next couple of years, although the player that I'd really like to see us get is Eric Odhiambo (Eddie's brother), who is currently at Leicester, and is considerably more talented than our Odhiambo.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

That is sort of my point, as both Day and Anaclet were bought in by Smith and he is happy to use them, but the three he has had presented to him, he has tried his best to ignore.

My concern is whether this is merely (as you suggest) these individuals are not good enough or whether he has a natural Atkins-esque aversion to using ex-youth teamers, which the evidence of his last spell here when very few, if any, came through into the squad, supports.

You know me, of course I'm biased and sadly, I've not been able to see them in action for the ressies so I cannot talk from experience, but it is the overall tendancy that worries me (from a perspective of are we wasting our time with the youth scheme), rather than necessarily banging the drum for the individual players.

Saying that, I thought BB in particular was well thought of (and seems to be doing well at City), or has his chance gone with those seven minutes and one scuffed chance against Orient (in the same way as two seasons worth of starring in the reserves could not persuage IA to look beyond one end of season first team game and give Simon King a chance).

Oh, and you were right with Lovey, just circumstances got the better of him I seem to remember.