Signings

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Signings

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Not a dickie bird on here about three excellent signings this week? Come on, folks...

Ruben Rodrigues, Jordan Thorniley and Josh McEachran are a big statement of intent, I think we've done really well there. Combined with some of the talent we've already got, and with Manning's pragmatic approach, I'd say it's shaping up nicely.

Thoughts? Where are we still deficient?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Signings

Post by Dr Bob »

Earlier this week, a colleague moaned that we had signed the best player he had seen at Notts County in the last 10 years. I think these signings are all fantastic. Interesting ages as well - two 26 year olds, one 30 year old. That is bringing in a lot of experience with people who still have lots to offer.

But LM has also made it clear that bringing young players through is part of his plan. The likes of GO'D and Tyler did great last season, but relying on kids to keep us up with such a crocked and unbalanced squad is not the way forward.

Like every team, we need a productive striker, and full-backs/wing-backs are probably needed, but the position I am looking forward to seeing how things play out is keepers. Easty did OK, Stevens did not exactly impose himself as first choice at Vale, and McGinty still worries. Do we send McGinty out on loan and keep the other two? Do we look to offload one of the others and get a new number 1 in? Could we get in another keeper as back-up?

But if this week is anything to go by, this is what a transfer window should look like.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

We haven't actually officially signed Josh McEachran as yet. Rodrigues (based on being one of the best players in the league 2 divisions below) and Thorniley (based on being good when he was here) are very promising signings.

McEachran though, 30 year old on his way down, presumably not cheap and has only ever played on average 25 games a season looks like the classic "new manager getting his old players into the club" signing. Nothing necessarily wrong with this, but if some less popular previous managers had done this, it wouldn't be seen as so positive.

It looks like Findlay might be on his way out given I can see us having either him or Thorniley as a back up, especially with Brown as well. Largely depends on what formation we play this year but the obvious positions have been identified by Dr Bob. I'm also interested in how they manage the goalkeeper situation.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The keeper situation is a tricky one of our own historical making. Neither Stevens nor Eastwood are quite good enough to be number one at an aspiring club in our league, but both are probably too good to be reserve. McGinty might have promise, but hasn't shown he's anywhere near ready to be starting from what I've seen. Of the three, I'm happiest with Eastwood, and he finished the season strongly. But I think we should be aiming for better, and the question then is, what do we do with those three?

Like others, I'm just amazed that we're signing players so early in the window, and decent looking ones at that. Long may it continue. I don't watch enough other football to have any opinion on what Rodrigues and McEachran are like, or how Thorniley has been playing - he was fine for us last time, but not massively exciting. Similar to our current CB options I'd say. I still think last season's fullbacks are perfectly decent CBs, so we don't need any more in that area, especially with Negru coming through. But we definitely need more wingbacks/fullbacks.

Is Rodrigues a striker? We're still short up front. And at least one more midfielder you'd think.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Since then we’ve signed a keeper and right back on loan and bought an attacker. LM has indicated there may be two or three more additions. Whatever happens this season the preparations have been a big step up on last summer.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

It may mean nothing in the era of squad numbers, but four new signings are included in squad numbers 1-11. I wonder why nobody has been given number 7...
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Well this has been one of the more positive pre-seasons in recent memory…
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

recordmeister wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:24 am Well this has been one of the more positive pre-seasons in recent memory…
Ah, it's the hope that kills you...

Great signings (despite Isaac's misgivings 8)) Key positions getting filled (who would have thought that was important, KR?), a sufficient time in pre-season for everyone to start to gel. And is it right that we have not yet paid a transfer fee? Maybe the owners are saving up for a striker. If you can get in players of this quality without fees, then maybe this is being reflected also in wages paid to attract those same players? More than one way to do business.

As always I shall miss the start of the season, but I shall definitely have to see if I can get clearance to see a few games online. I have my excuse for the Cambridge game already lined up...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Agree with all of that.

Anyone from this board planning on going to Barnsley?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Just to temper the optimism, I think a lot of the gaps/concerns that existed last season are still there this season. The first XI looks good, or even the first 15, but a couple of injuries and things look different.

No left back cover, in fact only really 6 defenders to cover the 4 positions (Stevens, Long, Negru, Moore, Thornily, Brown) and two of them are young/unproven.

Central midfield also looks light, McEachran and Brannagan first choice, with McGuane as cover, but after that? Smyth, who looked below League One standard to me last season and then presumably Josh Johnson....
Likewise with strikers we have Harris and O'Donkor, but not apparently much else. We seem well set for wingers. Much of this I could have written last season if you swapped McEachran for Bate and Harris for Taylor.

Obviously some of this could be resolved over the next few weeks. It's not a criticism of the manager or the recruitment so far (which has been good and sensible, as far as it's possible to tell in pre-season) but more a reflection of where the club is in terms of contracts of existing players.

Hoping to get to a few more live games this season as I only managed 2 last year. Fleetwood away looks like the best opportunity in the first part of the season. Ifollow other than that though.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Woltman signed on a "permanent" rather than on loan. Did not see that coming...Yes he's young. Yes he's had little first team experience (albeit with one of the best teams in the world). And frankly I don't care if I am getting carried away with this remodelled squad - this is going to be a season to get us back on our feet.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Well ... I guess that proves pre-season results are meaningless, then ...