Joey

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Joey

Post by Kernow Yellow »

On the train on the way back from one of the all-time great away days when I heard the devastating news. So much about the man’s career was tragic on a personal level, yet he gave Us fans such magical moments. Truly honoured to have seen him performing such mercurial feats on a football pitch, and then bumped into him in 5th Avenue or at a kebab van a few hours later. An Oxford, and Oxford United legend.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Joey

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Just awful news. People are quite rightly talking about the (reportedly) tragic circumstances of his death to remind others that there is help and support out there for them and that no-one should suffer in silence, and that's a really important message. But amidst all the tragedy, let's also remember the good times - that goal against Blackpool, ripping Wolves a new one on live TV, the perseverance and skill to curl one into the top corner against Reading.

My main years watching Oxford were between 1994 and 2001, when Joey was at the peak of his powers. Undoubtedly on his day the greatest footballer I have ever seen live. And not only was he ours, he didn't want to play for anyone else. Of the whole world, he chose Oxford United. He made me proud of where I'm from.

When he was voted the greatest ever Oxonian a few years ago by the Oxford Mail, it wasn't hyperbole - in a city crammed full of great minds and great egos, Joey Beauchamp was just an Oxford lad who wanted to play scintillating football for his hometown team. What a legacy he leaves behind.

Rest in peace, Joey.

Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Watching the Quest goals highlights this morning, as they started to speak I had no idea what was coming next. Awful, awful news. I have real trouble remembering individual moments from specific games, but two I remember vividly were the goal against Blackpool (I was right in line with the shot and knew instantly it was in) and another of those cutting-in-from-the-right-and-curling-into-the-top-left goals he scored, against Barnsley on the last day of the season. We won 5-1, Barnsley were hung over having secured promotion to the top flight, and every one of their fans applauded and cheered it. We sing about players being one of our own, but never was it more appropriate. He had his demons, so may he now rest in peace.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

So many magical Joey moments to recall... his winner in the 1992 Tranmere Miracle Relegation Avoidance Game... his redemption goal and subsequent celebration in front of a Cuckoo Lane end full of Robins (who have been *so* dignified in their expressions of sympathy and support since the news broke - for which they have my respect and gratitude) as both teams were heading for promotion in 1996; *that* goal against Blackpool; his single-handed destruction of the likes of Forest and Citeh on their own turf.

Denis Smith was right. He was far too good for us, and we were just so fortunate that his love for Oxford and OUFC meant that we had the joy of watching him for so long.

Joey Beauchamp defined my football watching experience in my 20's and early 30's. Thank you for the memories, and may you rest in peace.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

When my dad first took me to watch Oxford in the late 80s we were in the Oslo road seats sat next to an old fella who used to watch all the reserve games too, he used to talk about Joey and what a talent he could be. From the fans perspective Joey's career was a bit of a fairytale, hopefully from his perspective as well. As an Oxford fan I think if you could be any footballer, you'd be Beauchamp.
I read the Woody and Nord book, where both Southgate and Woodman remember Joey destroying Palace in a reserve game, so when Woodman turns up at Oxford they expect Joey to be "top dog" in the changing room and are surprised when that isn't the case. He wasn't your typical footballer, but I remember he always seemed to save his best performances for the televised matches.
A tragedy for his family and friends, it's heartbreaking. I hope the club do something significant long term in his memory, we've had plenty of great players but Joey was something different.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well I thought that was impressively handled yesterday. As Jerome said right at the end of Radio Oxford's coverage, the circumstances meant that it couldn't be described as a perfect day - but everything was handled perfectly. At times, I wondered whether it felt a bit quiet / muted, but then I realised that everyone else - like me - was choking back tears. Watching Joey's girls walk across the pitch to lay wreaths, and then do the lap of honour with Karl and the team, was so powerful - and I thought getting one of each of the academy year groups to join the first XI in the centre-circle for the minute's applause was a superb idea. Well done to all those who organised flags etc too.

As for the match itself, it's only my second game of the season so I'll defer to others - but we were what I expected. Electric going forward, very shaky at the back. But great to watch, and you can't knock the entertainment value. It felt fitting that yesterday's game was decided by some incredible wing play from Ryan Williams - he tortured their full-back and deserved MotM. I liked the look of Baldock too.

And before anyone mentions Sam Smith, don't. He did a silly thing, he's since apologised, move on. We're all happy to dish it out sometimes, but if a player gives a bit back we turn into pearl-clutching maiden aunts. Cambridge are welcome to him.

Yesterday was my youngest boy's first live Oxford game. He loved it, he asked lots of questions about Joey Beauchamp, he loved the goals (and all the yellow cards!) and he's refused to take off the OUFC t-shirt he got bought before the game. I don't think I've felt so optimistic about the club's future since the days of Joey at the Manor. As one chapter closes, another begins.