Brewers scoop

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Brewers scoop

Post by Kernow Yellow »

That was a surprisingly straightforward victory away at a team who sat just outside the play-off places before kick-off. My memory of the Burton games last season was that they were a team who like to play fairly open, expansive football, but just weren't as good at it as Us. So I was surprised to see how 'direct' they had become this year. I read afterwards that JFH had made a few changes and played 7 defensive players in an attempt to stop Us, which might explain why they didn't bother using the midfield much. But the first 30 minutes of the second half was some of the most one-sided football I've seen in a long time.

However, despite this, we still contrived to let the home side halve the deficit completely against the run of play with ten minutes to go, when we should have been way out of sight. Wasteful finishing is still an issue, and we required some gift-wrapped chances to seal the win - a completely missed interception from an underhit Sam Long pass saw Taylor skip through in the first minute, and a poor back-header and some 'after you Claude' allowed him to get ahead of the keeper and win the penalty for the third. Taylor, it has to be said, was back to his best, but Burton were so poor and got their tactics so wrong that it is hard to draw too many conclusions. But how nice to see a such a comprehensive victory away from home. A world away from Tuesday's stuttering performance.

If it weren't for the quality of our football you could easily have thought yourself back in the Conference though - I like Burton's ground, and the view from the raised terrace is great, but impressive it ain't - particularly with barely 2,000 home fans in attendance.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Brewers scoop

Post by Dr Bob »

I did not hear an announcement about their Man of the Match, but if it was not their keeper there would be no justice. On this occasion (unlike other matches, for sure) it was more a case of saves made than chances missed. If their plan was to have so many defenders to counter our attacking play, it failed spectacularly - apart from Garratt in their goal. But it also suggests that their elevated position in the table was seen by themselves as misleading - otherwise why play so negatively (and poorly) against a team below them, albeit one point behind with a game in hand?

But I do like having them in the same division. A short drive (well, for me anyway), easy and convenient parking, small crowds so a quick getaway without having to run to the car at the final whistle, and superb pre-match beer options.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I don't think Burton will ever need to expand their ground. It is more than enough for League 1, and I don't think they will ever be long term prospects for the Championship.

They have a good advantage of a bought and paid for ground (I think Pirelli bought their old ground, which togetherwith the land to build the new one meant it was debt freee). However I see at Companies House that Barclays now have a mortgage over the ground, covering bank overdrafts. It looks like their 2018/19 season (back in L1 from the Championship) resulted in large losses but hopefully they are back on track as a sustainable club.

A couple of funny things. First at the Weighbridge pub, the landlord was an Ipswich fan and was wearing an Ipswich shirt. Apparently a few weeks before when Burton played Ipswich, the fans thought he wore the relevant away club shirt for whoever the visitor was.

Second one I read was that apparently in the catering at half time, someone used the sanitiser dispenser on their burger, thinking it was ketchup!

Good to get two back-to-back league wins and into the top 6. It is already looking like there could be a top 4 of Plymouth, Wigan, Sunderland and dare I say it Wycombe who gap away from the rest. Also I expect Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday to come good, but Portsmouth have already given themselves quite a lot to catch up.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

At some point it will be interesting to look at the impact of Burton being in the Championship for two seasons 2016/17 and 2017/18.
Crowds up, commercial (tv) revenues up, EPL solidarity payments up, player wages up, transfer spending up?
Then what happens in the following seasons?
Do they get some sort of Championship parachute payment?
Did their player wage bill drop?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Dr Bob wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:19 pm I did not hear an announcement about their Man of the Match, but if it was not their keeper there would be no justice.
Hmm, not sure about that. Harry Chapman was their stand-out player for me - caused Us quite a few problems. I was also impressed with Kane Hemmings, who looked very sharp given the long balls he was having to feed off. Either he's improved or we didn't play to his strengths. Though he should have done better with the one clear cut header he had. Their keeper was certainly a lot busier than Simon Eastwood, but for the most part we shot straight at him or from a tighter angle than you could reasonably expect to score from. I don't remember too many 'worldies'.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

No Brewer influenced the game more than he did. In my view of course. During the second half, after a group of Us fans went quiet after singing a song insulting him, a lone voice piped up in the quiet. He is keeping them in it. He said. Exactly. But of course my criteria for motm may be different to yours.