“We need to act like a Championship club…”

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

“We need to act like a Championship club…”

Post by recordmeister »

so why are we selling so many players to Championship clubs?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: “We need to act like a Championship club…”

Post by Dr Bob »

Probably because of the financial gap that has opened up between the second and third divisions in recent years. We would be stretched to compete with established Championship clubs even if we get promotion. As things stand, we can't. So they can not only meet transfer fee demands, they can change players' mindsets by offering wages we cannot come close to matching. Not having to sell and not selling are two very different things...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I also think it's unrealistic to keep a player at the club who wants to move. Legally you'd be within your rights, but in reality it'd sour the mood in the dressing room and send the wrong message out to future signings about how we treat players. We've made a success in recent years out of buying promising young players, improving them, giving them a shop window and then selling them. It's hard when they leave, but we have to keep faith in the pipeline that we can replace them and continue to turn a profit.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

What KE said, basically. A large part of our recent success (and it has been success, when taken in the context of the last 20 years) has been based on getting very good prospects to sign for Us, assuring them we will not stand in the way of their career development. We have always sold our best players, ever since I can remember (mid-80s). In fact, the years when we weren't developing talent and selling it on were the years we languished in the lower leagues. I'm fine with it as a model.

I'm more concerned that Elliott Moore is entering the last year of his contract. You can't reap the benefits of player development if you let them run their contracts down. And he was (on balance) the better of the two central defenders last year imo.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm I'm more concerned that Elliott Moore is entering the last year of his contract. You can't reap the benefits of player development if you let them run their contracts down. And he was (on balance) the better of the two central defenders last year imo.
Instead we've given John Mousinho a new deal! Slightly strange, given that he's getting on a bit and wasn't really fit to contribute last season, but I assume it has something to do with him needing to have a playing contract to be PFA Chairman?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:40 am
Kernow Yellow wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm I'm more concerned that Elliott Moore is entering the last year of his contract. You can't reap the benefits of player development if you let them run their contracts down. And he was (on balance) the better of the two central defenders last year imo.
Instead we've given John Mousinho a new deal! Slightly strange, given that he's getting on a bit and wasn't really fit to contribute last season, but I assume it has something to do with him needing to have a playing contract to be PFA Chairman?
His lack of playing time might also have been related to this:
https://www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/194 ... ee-injury/
Beats me how you can even play with a torn ACL.