New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

New signings

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So Ryan Williams is the first new name through the door (not counting keeping hold of McGuane).

I liked him when he was with us before, but haven't been overly impressed when he's played against us in more recent times - I expected him to trouble us more than he did. As a winger, he's no Brandon Barker going forwards, but he's a lot more solid, which is no bad thing. I wonder if he'll ultimately replace James Henry? He's probably more reliable, but possibly less capable of brilliance.

As for McGuane, he got rave reviews in pre-season, was terrible in the first dozen or so league games (when he played) and then started really bossing matches shortly before his injury. His reputation then grew with every game he didn't play. Great potential, but still a bit unproven I reckon.

Still, good to get some business done early. Now, about this defensive cover (and first choice left back presumably)...
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: New signings

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I kind of agree about Williams.

First time with us, he was exceptionally quick and used his pace well to get past defenders.

When I’ve seen him against us more recently, the pace doesn’t seem so exceptional, but presumably that will have been replaced by experience.

Wasn’t it Williams that got sent off in our last match before relegation to the conference, or am I getting mixed up?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I think it was the match at Northampton that Williams got sent off in, which completed Wilder's miraculous turnaround and saved them from relegation to the Conference, while ending Waddock's miserable managerial reign for Us.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Ah that explains it.

I can remember the sending off, but I remember it from behind the goal, and I’ve only ever seen 1 game at the Kassam from behind the goal, which wasn’t that one. And I remember the last game before relegation at home to Orient, which I watched from my usual SSU seat and stayed there in shock and tears for some time after the final whistle. My mind couldn’t marry up the two games and now we know why.

Feeling old now….
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

These look like two great signings:
https://trainingground.guru/articles/ne ... ord-united
Given the questions over Billy Bodin's fitness, hopefully these two can keep him and others out of the treatment room.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Nathan Holland returns on loan.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

This appears to have been the most successful transfer window in years, which should result in a better start to the season. KR’s biggest job would seem to be keeping all his attacking options happy. We’re still one defender light, but at this stage of the window I’m being picky. At least a draw tomorrow will be a satisfactory start to the season.

All we need now is positive news on the new ground.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

A draw will be just about acceptable, but Cambridge are one of the favourites for relegation, so I hope we set a standard of what is to come.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:14 pm A draw will be just about acceptable, but Cambridge are one of the favourites for relegation, so I hope we set a standard of what is to come.
That's pretty much what happened!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Looking back a few months, one view was that we had had the best (summer) transfer window in years. Maybe being in and around the play-off places most of the season so far is confirmation.

But I have been wondering - have we ever reached deadline day with no incomings confirmed?