Is Shrewd play enough?

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Is Shrewd play enough?

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Good result and overall performance, but how many times have we conceded in a crowded box this season.

I wasn’t convinced 74 points would be enough, and sadly I think that may come to pass.

Pompey effectively need to score the same or more points from their 2 remaining games, than we get from our 1. I just can’t see us being able to overcome that fact.

To think, even if we had had a bang average start to the campaign, we would probably have gained automatic promotion.

League 2 hasn’t had that many consistently really good sides this season, so it is almost certainly an opportunity missed. But at least we still have a football club, and can hopefully look forward to better things.

Edit: I’ve just noticed that I mis-read the table, and Pompey only have 1 game left as well - Accrington Stanley. Who are they? Exactly!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Is Shrewd play enough?

Post by slappy »

I missed most of the first half of the match as the OUFC website was unavailable. Eventually I found that I could register a different email address on the Shrewsbury site and watch there with the away commentary.
Somewhat nervewracking to go 2-1 down, but then rescue our hopes of the play-offs with a 3-2 win and two magnificent saves from Jack Stevens.
I saw a Shrewsbury fan post our last three visits to the New Meadow
2018/19 2:3
2019/20 2:3
2020/21 2:3
"please can they just get promoted".

A few mid-week fixtures tonight, a Charlton win would put us level on points, but still both 1 point behind Pompey.
A Blackpool defeat tonight and on Sunday would mean we could match their points on Sunday.
But as GY says, we basically need to get more points than Pompey on Sunday as i can't see Blackpool losing two, or Charlton improving their goal difference by six. Accrington aren't a team to roll over, but Pompey have home advantage.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Is Shrewd play enough?

Post by slappy »

So no favours done for us last night.
Basically we need Pompey to drop points and for us to win.
I suppose Charlton fans could still clutch at straws with both us and Pompey losing or drawing and them winning. Or even us winning and Charlton overturning a -4 goal difference.