Football365

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Football365

Post by SmileyMan »

Hey, we get a mention on F365! Unfortunately, this week it's all too predictable to guess in what context:
Football365's Statistics about Fergie's 20 years at ManUre

14 - The number of managers Oxford United, the opponents in Ferguson's first match as ManYoo manager, have employed since November 1986.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

1. Evans
2. Lawro
3. Hortonout
4. D Smith
5. Shotts
6. D Smith II
7. Kemp
8. Wright
9. Atkins
10. Rix
11. Diaz
12. Talbot
13. J Smith

Who am I missing?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I would imagine Darren Patterson would be one as he did get the job full time.

I'm not sure they'd count Denis twice either so maybe Malcolm Crosby to make 14?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Mad Dog and Mike Ford.

Sorry, but you've got 15 now unless you only count D. Smith once.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Also what about Oldfield? He was manager between Atkins and Rix for half a game against Mansfield (called off at half time due to high winds). Surely that must be the shortest managerial career in the history of the professional game.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Also what about Oldfield? He was manager between Atkins and Rix for half a game against Mansfield (called off at half time due to high winds). Surely that must be the shortest managerial career in the history of the professional game.
We've had this discussion before, haven't we? As I recall, Boris doesn't recognise Oldfield as he wasn't manager for a game (or at least not a recognised one, as it was abandoned at half time). Therefore his managerial career is non-existent.

I disagree - he was appointed caretaker manager after all, so he should count towards the total imo.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Dunno, Kernow. I can accept Patto being included, because he was appointed as a proper manager, albeit just for three games as it turned out, but I wouldn't include caretaker managers because they are, de facto, interim positions and therefore don't have the same managerial clout as the permanent chappies. Otherwise the list would have to include Fordy (twice), Micky Lewis, David Oldfield, and Patto (again).
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

That's fair enough - I thought you didn't even include him as a caretaker though, because his tenure didn't include a game (even though it did)!

Anyway, if we do include caretakers (to total 16 or thereabouts), it's interesting to note that the first 10 years of that period saw 4 managers, while the latter ten years saw 12!

Symptomatic of our downfall, or just a sign of the times? Proably a bit of both, I'd say...
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
Symptomatic of our downfall, or just a sign of the times? Proably a bit of both, I'd say...
Or symptomatic of the chairman throughout the last 8 years. Kassam still owned the club and was chairman for Patto's brief tenure and Shotton was there when he arrived so I make it 9 full time managers in 8 years. That must be a record.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Maybe thatÔÇÖs a record, but maybe itÔÇÖs not...
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I'm posting this at 22:34 on Wednesday - Snake how did you manage to post your last message on:-

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 am

And incidentally I didn't understand what you meant
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Hmmm....... It appears I actually posted it at 12:35am - some 2 hours hence.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I'm posting this at 22:34 on Wednesday - Snake how did you manage to post your last message on:-

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 am

And incidentally I didn't understand what you meant
Does anybody?