Non-league attendance records

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Non-league attendance records

Post by Snake »

I think we’ll beat the Conference attendance record on Boxing Day (which in itself goes back a few years) but assuming we do that what was the non-league record for a league encounter before Division V was formed, so come December 26th we can say that Minchery Farm hosted the highest gate for a non-league competitive game since “x
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I see in your post on t'other forum you state that we hope to get the biggest non-league crowd since 1979. Are you sure? I know it seems unlikely, but there might have been bigger crowds below the Conference.

Yeovil got over 8,000 against Enfield in 1997 when they were in the same division as Oxford City!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I see in your post on t'other forum you state that we hope to get the biggest non-league crowd since 1979. Are you sure? I know it seems unlikely, but there might have been bigger crowds below the Conference.

Yeovil got over 8,000 against Enfield in 1997 when they were in the same division as Oxford City!
It depends if you include say the FA Trophy finals, which are competitive non-league fixtures.

If so, then the crowds are more than Minchery Farm can hold.

If it is restricted to non-league league fixtures, if that makes sense, you might have to go back quite a long time. Well 40 years anyway.

I'm not convinced that we'll beat the record on Boxing Day. Woking's away support with them playing mediocre football isn't that big. They might only bring 400 - 500. If that is the case, we'll need to reserve a very big section of the North Stand for home support and sell a shed load of tickets. A big ask.
bomber1979
Sperm

Post by bomber1979 »

So do people think we will sell out the home ends for the boxing day game against Woking ??
If so, I think DLT should get me a ticket!!?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

If we don't do it on Boxing day then Weymouth on Easter Monday is very likely to break the record, particularly as its our penultimate home fixture and about the time when we should clinch the title.

The fixture list on the official site has this as an evening kick off but aren't Easter Monday fixtures usually 3 o'clock kick offs?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotMally&quot wrote:The fixture list on the official site has this as an evening kick off but aren't Easter Monday fixtures usually 3 o'clock kick offs?
Luxury. Last week there were posters up all over Huesca announcing the next home game as being on &quotmiércoles 5 noviembre&quot.

Miércoles means Wednesday.
entirely disenchanted
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:The fixture list on the official site has this as an evening kick off but aren't Easter Monday fixtures usually 3 o'clock kick offs?
Luxury. Last week there were posters up all over Huesca announcing the next home game as being on &quotmiércoles 5 noviembre&quot.

Miércoles means Wednesday.
I didn't realise the time difference to Spain was quite that significant!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Ipswich v Colchester United on 05/02/38 in the Southern League appears to be a runner for the highest non-league attendance for a non-league game with 23,890.

So IF we beat the Conference record on Boxing Day then it will be the highest non-league crowd since er, well, no one seems to know!
Last edited by Snake on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:So IF we beat the Conference record on Boxing Day then it will be the highest non-league crowd since er, well, no one seems to know!
I think we can say with some certainty that it will be the highest non-league crowd since the last one which was higher (bigger?).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Yeah, thanks Myles..

Whatever happens, (record attendance or not) it will surely be the highest gate receipt EVER for a non-league game (even taking away 3,500 or so ST holders who have paid in advance).

Cue Terry or boris to put me right!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Yeah, thanks Myles..

Whatever happens, (record attendance or not) it will surely be the highest gate receipt EVER for a non-league game (even taking away 3,500 or so ST holders who have paid in advance).

Cue Terry or boris to put me right!
Again, depends if you count FA trophy finals or if you are talking only about league games.

The FA Trophy final last year was played at Upton Park. 13,800 attended with tickets £15 a time.

For a league game, I can't imagain any other comes near even the Aldershot game given the increase in ticket prices generally in the last 5 years or so. So we might already have the record for highest gate receipts for a non-league divisional fixture.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Weren't there enormous crowds for amateur football in the interwar (and/or postwar) years?

(For instance, 20744 at an Amateur Cup Final.)
entirely disenchanted
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Weren't there enormous crowds for amateur football in the interwar (and/or postwar) years?

(For instance, 20744 at an Amateur Cup Final.)
More like 100,000 ! cf Pegasus and all that ...

May I be the first to issue a mild 'anorak alert... anorak alert' re this thread.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:May I be the first to issue a mild 'anorak alert... anorak alert' re this thread.
LOL !!!!!!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

&ltzipping anorak right up tight&gt

OK, my contender for record attendance at a non-league league game is Northwich Victoria v Witton Albion, Good Friday 1949 in the Cheshire League. Attendance: 11,290.