Oldey

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Oldey

Post by GodalmingYellow »

We're obviously not expecting Newey back, as he has been given permission to play in FA Cup for Cobblers.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Oldey

Post by ty cobb »

Fair play to Appleton, he quickly worked out our full backs were weak spots especially in his style of team, and has done something about it.

Still amazes me we let Batt and Davies go so easily - both far better than the two we got in.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well Batt was looking to concentrate on his 'business' interests, whereas as Davis was always getting injured with dodgy hamstrings.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Don't agree. Our current fullbacks POTENTIALLY are far better players than Batt and Davis. Particularly the Charlton loanee.

Davis was a right old sick note - what's he done with his career since leaving OUFC?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Played 30 games for Yeovil in the Championship - still not good enough for you?

The two we've got in now are decent, shame they're both be going back to the parent clubs who will see the benefit from their development at OUFC.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Davis was one of the best footballers we've had at the club in recent years in terms of technical ability. Real quality player both defensively and going forwards. I was sad to see him go but he was injury-prone.

Batt was dodgy imo.

I reckon Newey's fallen out badly with Appleton. Even Mickey Lewis while seemingly talking Newey up us a player and person alludes to differences of opinion in the Mail. He was ever-present until the Cambridge match and playing ok(ish) apart from that game. Now it seems he has no future here.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I was a big Batt fan. We were bonkers to get rid of him.

Davis was decent, but needed a good back up due to regular injuries.

Newey and Hunt were both sub-standard.

Riley isn't good enough defensively, and that is his prime role.

Holmes-Dennis is the real deal. If we can get him until the end of the season, that would be a big result for the club.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Right Said Fred were, for me, the constant weakness in the team over the last season and a half. I don't think MA noticed that quickly enough to be honest esp when you look at the way he wants to play: from the back. There is no hiding for the defensive players in that style and a lot of the goals we have conceded, esp in the first 10 games of the season often came from the moves starting at the back breaking down very early due to weak passing etc. it's a risky business and you've got to have solid personel to not make errors on your own first 3rd of the pitch if that's where you're gonna knock it about for 60% of tbe game. I dearly hope (as I enjoy the style of football) that those players exist at this level. But somehow I feel like that might be like asking for a wine list in a Little Chef.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Well we haven't budgeted for a cup run so I guess it doesn't matter if he comes back cup tied!