idea

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

idea

Post by YF Dan »

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0008 ... 13594.aspx

How many people use this forum regularly? 50?

What if we all put in £20 and entered this? Having &quotRageOnline&quot on the front of the shirts would be rather good fun.

If we don't win, the &quot£1000 worth of hospitality&quot could be divvied up between us or we raffle it.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: idea

Post by Radley Rambler »

Dan - I'd be up for that but I think you'll struggle to get 50 takers let alone collect all the money in time.

If there is enough interest though, my £20 is ready.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

You could count me in as well (if you can find a well of getting my Australian hard-earned into the fund, reckoning without the trials of PayPal).

Reckon there could be open slather on the wording too, and it wouldn't strictly have to be 'Rage Online' either.

Could be a lot of fun proposing a slogan to adorn the chest of Deane Smalley...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Hate to poo poo this idea, but my local club Godalming Town used the same scheme for a new front of shirt sponsor 2 seasons ago.

Essentially it is a ruse for the club to raise the funds it normally expects to get for shirt sponsorship, as well as many commercial contacts from the process, whilst the company that will really get the deal will end up paying about half the cost of normal.

What the club won't tell you at this stage is that a company (who may well have been lined up already) will purchase 50% or more of the tickets virtually guaranteeing that they get the sponsorship, whilst the remaining 50% of the tickets are sold to small local businesses in the hope of getting their name on the shirts.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Given boris' association with the club and the site, we're probably excluded from entering anyway?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

We've struggled to get enough cash to sponsor a shirt in recent years, so I think the £1K is a bit beyond our reach.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Yeovil Town did this for years - and as a result had some hilariously local sponsors over the years, so the winner being a &quotbig business&quot isn't guaranteed.

Unless you are suggesting, GY, some sort of warm balls operation ... which I would have thought is a sure fire way to piss off local businesses. Also, if I was a business that was talked into buying 50 tickets, and I didn't win, I'd be miffed too.

We shall see. If the lucky winner is Wang, Buildbase or Unipart, I'll raise an eyebrow.

I think it's a rather clever idea, I just hope it's done legitimately.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What the club won't tell you at this stage is that a company (who may well have been lined up already) will purchase 50% or more of the tickets virtually guaranteeing that they get the sponsorship, whilst the remaining 50% of the tickets are sold to small local businesses in the hope of getting their name on the shirts.
I don't think you can talk about &quotvirtually guaranteeing&quot the sponsorship until you've bought 95|| tickets. Also OUFC are offering a runner up the away shirt sponsorship, and another runner up an advertising board at the ground, so if one company we to buy multiple tickets the club would probably either have to be upfront about that or rig the draw quite well.

Bristol Rovers have also ran a similar initiative for the past 4 years and they seem to have some fairly small companies on their shirts: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol ... Rovers.htm

I'm not arguing that you're wrong about how Godalming Town ran the raffle but I don't think that's how every club that tried it has done it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What the club won't tell you at this stage is that a company (who may well have been lined up already) will purchase 50% or more of the tickets virtually guaranteeing that they get the sponsorship, whilst the remaining 50% of the tickets are sold to small local businesses in the hope of getting their name on the shirts.
I don't think you can talk about &quotvirtually guaranteeing&quot the sponsorship until you've bought 95|| tickets. Also OUFC are offering a runner up the away shirt sponsorship, and another runner up an advertising board at the ground, so if one company we to buy multiple tickets the club would probably either have to be upfront about that or rig the draw quite well.

Bristol Rovers have also ran a similar initiative for the past 4 years and they seem to have some fairly small companies on their shirts: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol ... Rovers.htm

I'm not arguing that you're wrong about how Godalming Town ran the raffle but I don't think that's how every club that tried it has done it.
Fair enough, maybe I'm just too cynical in my old age.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Q. “How many people use this forum regularly? 50?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Fair enough, maybe I'm just too cynical in my old age.
I much prefer a cynic to someone who just accepts everything as it seems!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I like the idea. If my business was based near Oxford and/or I thought it likely that I'd be able to take up the early-season hospitality which comes as part of the deal, I'd be signing up. Sadly neither are the case.

I'm not really convinced of the idea of a Rage Online entry - it's not like we've got anything to collectively publicise, and divvying up the hospitality would be a nightmare. But if you get 49 other interested parties, then I'd be part of it.