Up the football league we go...

Anything yellow and blue
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Up the football league we go...

Post by Joey's Toe »

Another cracking win yesterday. I wasn't there, Jerome, but three points away to one of the only sides in the league who have resources approximating ours is a good result. Granted, it was probably a good time to play them after their cup exigencies of midweek, but we wouldn't have won that game during our terrible September run.

We have to look at Rovrum next weekend as a chance for another three points, given that they're hardly on a great run themselves after losing at home to Barnet yesterday. We're now in the top half, and within sight of the playoffs - a big six weeks or so ahead to capitalise on things and keep the run going.

Having watched the highlights, Duberry's header for the Bratfud goal looked shaky, but Rigg's equaliser was very well-taken. Can anyone who was there give a bit more info on the performance?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Up the football league we go...

Post by slappy »

Pre-match, the Corn Dolly was almost devoid of Oxford fans, and the Bradford fans were all talking about their cup exploits, where they were off to in Birmingham post-match if they hold on to win their semi-final against Villa, coaches and ticket prices. One chap mentioned he had been at Wembley in 1986, as his father was a referee who got him a comp ticket. The Bantams were also planning their trip to Fleetwood, for which some had tactically purchased Fleetwood supporters cards, as their ticket allocation was &quotonly&quot 1200.

We had the pre-match shock of Clarke being out for several weeks with a shoulder injury. The starting line up of Brown, Batt, Duberry, Wright, Raynes, Davis, Leven, Montrose, Rigg, Richards, Potter. Craddock on the bench, as were Worley, Heslop, Capaldi, O'Brien, Parker.

On a cold but dry day, we went behind to a defensive mix-up. Duberry heading back to Wayne Brown who was heading straight for the ball to clear. Nakhi Wells chased the ball back and sliced in from a tight angle before clattering into the hoardings. From then on, Oxford looked the better side. Rigg scored a lovely goal from outside the area, we hit the bar, and had one cleared by a defender from just in front of the line. We had been playing a back 3 of Raynes, Duberry, Wright Batt and Davis as flying wingbacks Leven and Montrose in midfield Richards up front, with Potter and Rigg suppying balls in from behind.

Second half, Bradford made a double substitution, always a sign of panic about the opposition. We nearly had a scrap too, I think Montrose was booked for one altercation, and then Duberry had words with one on their players, and both were booked. When the ref called Duberry over (I was told it was the ref's league debut), it almost looked as if Dubes was telling him 'young man, I've been playing 20 years, champions league semi-final ..., now this is how the game is played'. With 15 minutes to go, my nerves were telling me I would take a 1-1 away, but the team were having none of it. Potter was finally rewarded with a trip in the penalty area, and Leven stepped up to make it 2-1. With four minutes added time, Bradford still found time to get the ball in the back of the net, but it was flagged offside.

So we won in Yorkshire. There were no substitutions for the first time in many, many matches. I had been expecting Richards and Craddock up front, but the side were good enough without. Ian Lenagan has always said he will judge Wilder at three tipping points:- when we are in danger of relegation without hope of promotion and when he has a fully fit squad. The 'R' word thankfully looks to be behind us, and the bottom sides pulled off some good victories, with Rotherham losing at home to Barnet, and Fleetwood at home to Bristol Rovers, the two losing sides being our next opponents. The top half of the table is getting very crowded, and both Gillingham and Port Vale look likely for automatic promotion, and another 12 or so teams will be looking at either the final promotion place or the play-offs.

The final point was to be judged on a fit team. The major recoveries from the start of the season were Leven, Duberry and Davis. Leven is finally showing why we bought him, and Duberry is worth it for experience alone. Still, we won a match with Constable suspended, Whing, JPP, Smalley, Chapman all injured, and Craddock not even needed.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

... you can add 'Clarke' to the injured list...
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

A fantastic write-up, Slappy. Thanks ever so much.

However I'd take umbridge with (and in fact, if nothing than to cause a stir and some debate, indeed question your knowledge of football) the comment that &quotsecond half, Bradford made a double substitution, always a sign of panic about the opposition.&quot

In my world, a manager is judged on three things:

- signing
- results
- substitutions

I've been keeping a keen eye this season on Queen of the South, for family reasons. They've been romping their league and numorous times the manager has made one, if not two, FIRST HALF substitutions. I don't see those as a sign of panic, but a manager who is big enough and brave enough to admit that either the formation, or personel, or both have not been the correct selection for the onfield battle.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Not sure why, in some reports I have seen, Dubes was blamed for the own goal. He had his eyes on the ball as it came over his shoulder and, as it fell for him to head, he sent it back to where the keeper should have been. Given he was policing the ball so closely, I have no idea what Brown was thinking about coming out as he did. Just very happy it did not matter in the end.

I read on the other place that this was the first league game all season where we have won having trailed initially. Another sign of confidence returning to the side - let alone the fact that we were actually attacking at the end of the match from which we won the penalty. Apparently the Bradford manager thinks the defender got a little bit of the ball. Given how tackling from behind is refereed nowadays, I think we got a penalty for the rather large amount of Alfie the defender got.

The table is certainly looking a lot better now. Looking forward to, ahem, welcoming Evans and Raynor next weekend.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

Good match report, Slappy - many thanks. Very illuminating for those of us who couldn't make it.
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Not sure why, in some reports I have seen, Dubes was blamed for the own goal. He had his eyes on the ball as it came over his shoulder and, as it fell for him to head, he sent it back to where the keeper should have been. Given he was policing the ball so closely, I have no idea what Brown was thinking about coming out as he did. Just very happy it did not matter in the end.
Probably both of their faults for the lack of communication - although Brown was more in the wrong. I guess this is what happens when the reserve keeper comes in - the defenders and keeper need to know instinctively what each other will be doing.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote: the defenders and keeper need to know instinctively what each other will be doing.
...given past history, I presume the defenders know Brown will get injured half way thru the next game.....!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A good summary Slappy. You can't beat an away win up North
on a cold January afternoon - there's just something illuminating
when you are one of a couple of hundred U's fans at an outpost in the frozen north
and witness a victory !

The fact the win was fully deserved makes it sweeter.

It's key none of us gets carried away as this game can quite easily bite you
&quoton the ass&quot but things look good notwithstanding Clarke's shoulder injury.

We look stronger and more confident and can change our shape to good effect
and the thing for me was getting the right guy in midfield alongside Leven.Cox was OK
but Montrose could be the answer. He looks big and mobile, can run with the ball
and put his foot in.

It could an exciting last 20 league matches.

Is that snow outside :(
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Just a couple of thoughts:

- Best performance of the season so far IMO. Even so, negative soul that I am I was saying all throughout the 2nd half that this was exactly the sort of game we lose because we do not finish teams off. Nice to be wrong sometimes!

- I was right in line with the penalty decision and, at the time, thought the defender might have been unlucky. However, having seen it on TV it looks a definite penalty.

- All of the chatter about Wilder a few weeks ago now seems a bit silly particulary with the way we are playing. Long way to go yet though.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Official Rageonline match report here
and Fan's View on the Southend and Bradford games.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:Good match report, Slappy - many thanks. Very illuminating for those of us who couldn't make it.
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Not sure why, in some reports I have seen, Dubes was blamed for the own goal. He had his eyes on the ball as it came over his shoulder and, as it fell for him to head, he sent it back to where the keeper should have been. Given he was policing the ball so closely, I have no idea what Brown was thinking about coming out as he did. Just very happy it did not matter in the end.
Probably both of their faults for the lack of communication - although Brown was more in the wrong. I guess this is what happens when the reserve keeper comes in - the defenders and keeper need to know instinctively what each other will be doing.
Fair point. Hopefully it was also down to Brown's prolonged absence from the team. Can anyone who was there confirm whether or not his communication with his defenders got better as the game went on? I am sure I am not the only one here to remember what happened at Shrewsbury many years ago, just about 3 minutes into Lance Key's debut. Although I don't remember him getting much better after that...
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Just watched the Yellow Player highlights and he also drops the ball from a pretty simple catch in the second half. Hopefully he is just rusty.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Wayne Brown
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

That was for Hereford United in 2008 I reckon.

Incidently which OUFC player has been referred to as &quotThe
&quotTerminator&quot in today's Sun &quotnewspaper&quot ?