Gills Nil Nil

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Gills Nil Nil

Post by joepoolman »

Today was a weird result because if Crewe had won it would've felt like a poor one, but as it is it feels ok (for me).

To continue the whole Beano/Rendell discussion, I thought Rendell's first touch was poor today, and although he was quite isolated he didn't have a great game, I felt Beano looked more dangerous when he came on, would Rendell have set up that chance for Johnson? I don't think so. I still can't decide whether a Beano - Rendell partnership, which has looked promising would outweigh a 3 man midfield.

In midfield I thought Whing was quality today, tackling as good as ever, his touch and passing were the best I've seen them. Chappy didn't have his best game, and made a couple of misplaced passes 2nd half but I might have taken of Hall as for me he pretty much either affects games or he doesn't, and he didn't really today.

Defense was solid and I reckon Wayne Brown must be one of the best 2nd choice keepers in this league.

Finally I thought Johnson looked quality when he came on, highlited by the penalty apeal, which was definitely a pen, but he did go down a bit easily, also I thought when he did come inside the full back previously he probably did take a couple to many touches, but I think that's something he does a bit anyway.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

A good turn out from the Gillingham fans, though I'm not sure why there were so many police around at the Priory. I don't know of any history between the two clubs, apart from a mutual loathing of the team from down the A420.

Pre-match I had thought both teams would really have been going for all three points, but Gillingham seemed to be happy rolling around play acting injuries, Kuffour particularly. Their goalie might have made some good saves but can't take goal kicks for toffee, with about five straight out for throw ins?

Wayne Brown - good day in goal, with not a lot to do, and I felt his distribution and kicking seemed a lot more assured than Clarke's. In his Yellow Player interview he seems so laid back, but I think they intimated he has a big part to play in the rest of the season, so perhaps Clarke is out for longer than just the one game.

Michael Duberry - please can someone tell him that he can defend and go up for corners, and pass the ball to someone nearby. He can't dribble past attackers, nor can he play long balls to the feet of our midfield or forwards. Even his headed clearances always seem to just be up in the air for the other side to pick up, rather than in the vague direction of any of our players. Second half he calmed down a bit and settled for kicking the ball out for throw-ins rather than anything clever.

Andy Whing - best played just in front of the back four, allowing Batt / Davis to go forward, with Whing covering. Also allows Whing to go up behind our forwards as well. Several times I noticed a good bit of skill to tackle the players and keep the ball and pass it.

Dean Morgan - should have rolled around or clutched his leg etc when he was injured, as it initially looked as if he had just given up playing.

Constable for Chapman was slightly surprising, but as we were going 4-4-2 it had to be one of the midfielders to go off. Unfortunately we didn't have any one left to take the corners.

With three games to play, it's still in our hands, but we've taken two points from the last four games, when nine would have been possible, it will really be a one game at a time challenge whilst watching other results.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:A good turn out from the Gillingham fans, though I'm not sure why there were so many police around at the Priory. I don't know of any history between the two clubs, apart from a mutual loathing of the team from down the A420.

Pre-match I had thought both teams would really have been going for all three points, but Gillingham seemed to be happy rolling around play acting injuries, Kuffour particularly. Their goalie might have made some good saves but can't take goal kicks for toffee, with about five straight out for throw ins?

Wayne Brown - good day in goal, with not a lot to do, and I felt his distribution and kicking seemed a lot more assured than Clarke's. In his Yellow Player interview he seems so laid back, but I think they intimated he has a big part to play in the rest of the season, so perhaps Clarke is out for longer than just the one game.

Michael Duberry - please can someone tell him that he can defend and go up for corners, and pass the ball to someone nearby. He can't dribble past attackers, nor can he play long balls to the feet of our midfield or forwards. Even his headed clearances always seem to just be up in the air for the other side to pick up, rather than in the vague direction of any of our players. Second half he calmed down a bit and settled for kicking the ball out for throw-ins rather than anything clever.

Andy Whing - best played just in front of the back four, allowing Batt / Davis to go forward, with Whing covering. Also allows Whing to go up behind our forwards as well. Several times I noticed a good bit of skill to tackle the players and keep the ball and pass it.

Dean Morgan - should have rolled around or clutched his leg etc when he was injured, as it initially looked as if he had just given up playing.

Constable for Chapman was slightly surprising, but as we were going 4-4-2 it had to be one of the midfielders to go off. Unfortunately we didn't have any one left to take the corners.

With three games to play, it's still in our hands, but we've taken two points from the last four games, when nine would have been possible, it will really be a one game at a time challenge whilst watching other results.
Believe it or not, there were 5 or 6 head scouts from Premiership teams at the game yesterday to watch the Gillingham keeper. I had to laugh when one of them told me that his kicking was supposed to be the best part of his game!!

I think it is a possible 12 points from the last 4 games btw Slappy! -)

Beano looked to be back to better form when he came on, but the substitution and change of formation was bizarre. Morgan was clearly having a poor day and if he was injured as well, surely a straight swap of Beano for Morgan was all that was required.

Chapman didn't have his best game and he was some way from the form we have seen from him recently, be he wasn't poor. He did give the ball away 4 or 5 times.

Batt had a mixed game. Trying to play around players coming out of defence is rarely a good option, but he tried this several times and failed more than once. On the flip side, he did get some good runs and crosses in.

Overall, we didn't play at a quick enough pace and we didn't close down enough. Up front Montano and Morgan did not give the support that Rendell needed in chasing down defenders, with Morgan in particular dropping too deep far too often.

0-0 was probably a fair result on balance of play, and luckily for us Macc managed to equalise against Crewe.

I think 3 points at Plimmuff is now a must, with Southend and Port Vale still to come.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I think 3 points at Plimmuff is now a must, with Southend and Port Vale still to come.
At least Crewe have got a couple of tough games with Cheltenham and Torquay as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Crewe will beat Cheltenham this weekend, and they will ultimately be the ones that end up missing out.

Also watch for Slumdon suddenly turning in a poor performance for their Gills game......
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I think it is a possible 12 points from the last 4 games btw Slappy! -)
What I meant was that nine points from the last four games would not have been unjustified - we could have won the last three (and were deservedly beaten by Morecambe). It is quite frustrating looking at the table and adding on the extra 2, 4 or 7 points dropped in those three matches.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I think 3 points at Plimmuff is now a must, with Southend and Port Vale still to come.
At least Crewe have got a couple of tough games with Cheltenham and Torquay as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Crewe will beat Cheltenham this weekend, and they will ultimately be the ones that end up missing out.

Also watch for s*****n suddenly turning in a poor performance for their Gills game......
Cheltenham's loanee goalkeeper Jack Butland has been recalled by Birmingham City. Apart from Crewe, they face Bradford at home, and Plymouth away.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I think 3 points at Plimmuff is now a must
I've thought that before three of our last four games. We haven't won any of them, yet we're still 7th. It's a funny old game.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re: Gills Nil Nil

Post by A-Ro »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:Finally I thought Johnson looked quality when he came on, highlited by the penalty apeal, which was definitely a pen, but he did go down a bit easily...
Anybody else have a view on this? I thought at the time that he was booked because the fall looked to be an afterthought, he seemed to take a step before going dowm. The BBC footage is from a similar angle to mine and it still looks inconclusive.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:Finally I thought Johnson looked quality when he came on, highlited by the penalty apeal, which was definitely a pen, but he did go down a bit easily...
Anybody else have a view on this? I thought at the time that he was booked because the fall looked to be an afterthought, he seemed to take a step before going dowm. The BBC footage is from a similar angle to mine and it still looks inconclusive.
Well I was more or less directly behind it half way up the Oxford Mail stand, and I've watched the BBC video online, and imo his shirt was definitely pulled, and this almost certainly hampered his progress in the attack, but I'm fairly sure that he could (and probably should) have stayed on his feet.

I think it also poses the question of is it bad if our players go down when they could stay on their feet, I think we do this much less than a lot of other teams, refelected by how few pens we've had for a team that tries to pass it in and around the box so much with skillfull wingers and fullbacks, but I'm quite proud that most of the time our players try and stay on their feet, and I don't think I'd swap that pride for a few penalties.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
I thought at the time it was a stonewall penalty, and the BBC footage has done nothing to change my mind.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Post by pottersrightboot »

I thought it was a pathetic dive. Just as bad as Morgan's Tom Daley effort at Cheltenham.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »