Capello out

Anything yellow and blue
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Capello out

Post by Paul Cooper »

So does Harry walk from the courtroom into the England job?

I suspect Spurs will want him to stay to the end of the season.

Or will it be somebody else?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Maybe Rosie the Dog can do it in the meantime. Should be an account already set up for the payments.

So, the jury system, good or bad for justice? Discuss.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Coincidence? All I'm going to say is Harry must have some friends in very high places. Fabio should be getting his letter from Rosie very shortly...
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Maybe Rosie the Dog can do it in the meantime. Should be an account already set up for the payments.

Who knows? If it's legal for Barclays Bank to pay 1% of its profits in tax and if its legal for Wayne Rooney to pay 3% of his income in tax, it's probably legal to 'invest' the odd 200K 'bonus' overseas, especially when you're so thick you can barely tie your own shoe laces.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

Post by pottersrightboot »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Maybe Rosie the Dog can do it in the meantime. Should be an account already set up for the payments.

Well heeled defendants tend to get top notch advisors. Mandaric and Redknapp had better briefs.

HMRC must be fuming with the efforts of Black QC. Bet they thought a guilty verdict was in the bag. All part of 'policy' that was wanting to scream,... look we make sure rich people pay their tax as well.

But I hear from a good legal source that in court the prosecution appeared aloof and patrician , constantly inferring in court that the football community is bent. (and you know they have a point).

Meantime the defence were indulging in football banter with Harry, Milan and the jury. Mandaric's brief is a Gooner ST holder so 'gets' the sway our national game has over the great unwashed.

So your discussion point is well worth mulling over AC...
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

HMRC do themselves no favours. Spend £7m chasing £200k, while letting Goldman Sachs off £25bn for the price of a cosy lunch.

If they really wanted to help the country, they'd be pushing hard for simpler, easier-to-apply-but-hard-to-avoid taxes. But since the Office of Tax Simplification was set up to do exactly that, HMRC and the Treasury civil servants have consistently been the ones sticking every possible spanner in every possible cog.

Why? To protect their jobs of course - simpler taxes means fewer inspectors.

Faced with a choice between a fiscally corrupt football manager and a morally corrupt taxman, the jury was only going to go one way. And good on them for it.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

On the England manager front, surely I'm not alone in thinking that Harry would be a terrible choice for the job?

His best skill has always been picking up great players for bargain prices. A skill that's completely useless for an international manager.

My choice would be Sam Allardyce. His skill is taking players that have underperformed at other clubs, and fitting them into teams that definitely are more than the sum of their parts. Exactly right for internation management.

Or what about poor Stuart Pierce? Why not promote him from the Under-21s, and at the same time have a good clearout of the 'golden generation' - write off the Euros as experience building and aim for the World Cup in 2014. Worked for Germany, and worked for the rugby team last weekend.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:

HMRC do themselves no favours. Spend £7m chasing £200k, while letting Goldman Sachs off £25bn for the price of a cosy lunch.

If they really wanted to help the country, they'd be pushing hard for simpler, easier-to-apply-but-hard-to-avoid taxes. But since the Office of Tax Simplification was set up to do exactly that, HMRC and the Treasury civil servants have consistently been the ones sticking every possible spanner in every possible cog.

Why? To protect their jobs of course - simpler taxes means fewer inspectors.

Faced with a choice between a fiscally corrupt football manager and a morally corrupt taxman, the jury was only going to go one way. And good on them for it.
Corruption is bad news whoever instigates it though surely?

HMRC are currently facing 15% of cuts. Irrespective of the tax system they are seeking to implement. I also disagree about the Redknapp case.

On the face of it worth taking to court, the case seemed open and shut.

But, it seems, the HMRC briefs missed an open goal.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:Corruption is bad news whoever instigates it though surely?
Oh yes, but if you're going to let the likes of Goldman Sachs, Vodafone, Barclays and Shell off of their tax bills, you've conceded quite a bit of moral high ground.

HMRC is not fit for purpose, and hasn't been since Red Dawn took charge.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

[/quote]

Corruption is bad news whoever instigates it though surely?

HMRC are currently facing 15% of cuts. Irrespective of the tax system they are seeking to implement. I also disagree about the Redknapp case.

On the face of it worth taking to court, the case seemed open and shut.

But, it seems, the HMRC briefs missed an open goal.[/quote]

Did they miss an open goal or not have enough evidence? Using a News of The World reporter to give key evidence hardly helped their cause I would have thought.

5 years work on bringing the case to court, £millions spent on it? Pretty disgraceful effort.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:On the England manager front, surely I'm not alone in thinking that Harry would be a terrible choice for the job?

His best skill has always been picking up great players for bargain prices. A skill that's completely useless for an international manager.

My choice would be Sam Allardyce. His skill is taking players that have underperformed at other clubs, and fitting them into teams that definitely are more than the sum of their parts. Exactly right for internation management.

Or what about poor Stuart Pierce? Why not promote him from the Under-21s, and at the same time have a good clearout of the 'golden generation' - write off the Euros as experience building and aim for the World Cup in 2014. Worked for Germany, and worked for the rugby team last weekend.
Not sure that you give Harry enough credit.

He has turned Spurs into a far harder side (for years they had a soft underbelly), and manages to get the best out of the players (Bale, Ledley King, dawson, Modric), and get the collective spirit needed in teams.

England's problem? Often they tend to play as strangers and if the rumours are to be believed they had factions in the squad in South Africa and for many years before that.

One of Harry's strengths is to bond a team and to get the best out of players.

He is the obvious choice aftre his success with many clubs . Whether he is the right person remains to be seen but in my view he is a much better candidate than Pearce or Allardice. Hodson would be my second choice.
Last edited by Paul Cooper on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:Corruption is bad news whoever instigates it though surely?
Oh yes, but if you're going to let the likes of Goldman Sachs, Vodafone, Barclays and Shell off of their tax bills, you've conceded quite a bit of moral high ground.

HMRC is not fit for purpose, and hasn't been since Red Dawn took charge.
A sweeping and ,no offence, ill-founded comment. I have to regularly speak to HMRC as part of my job and they have done far more for small businesses over he last 4 years than the banks with sensible use of the time to pay scheme.

I concede though that the main mouthpiece of HMRC , Hartnett, has been a PR disaster.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:On the England manager front, surely I'm not alone in thinking that Harry would be a terrible choice for the job?

Not sure that you give Hary enough credit.

He has turned Spurs into a far harder side (for years they had a soft underbelly), and manages to get the best out of the players (Bale, Ledley King, dawson, Modric), and get the collective spirit needed in teams.

England's problem? Often they tend to play as strangers and if the rumours are to be believed they had factions in the squad in South Africa and for many years before that.

He is the obvious choice aftre his success with many clubs . Whether he is the right person remains to be seen but in my view he is a much better candidate than Pearce or Allardice. Hodson would be my second choice.
I suppose the other bonus for Harry is that the England job does not involve any finance. Particularly as every club he leaves seems to end up in financial difficulties not long afterwards! Not sure what it means but surely it can't be coincidence that Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth, and Southampton have all had financial difficulties in recent years. There must be a mis-management link somewhere?!
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:

Not sure that you give Hary enough credit.

Allardyce and Hodgson teams play the most boring depressing football going. No thankyou.

Pearce: Why not give him a go? If we want to invest in a long term manager he's young enough.

Redknapp: At 65 he's hardly a long term option is he? Plus if he has got skeletons in his closet, they may not stay hidden for long once he's under full time media scrutiny.

I'm not particularly fussed about the England Manager having to be English. I'd be happy with either Martin O' Neil or even 'The Special One' personally.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quottheox&quot wrote:
I suppose the other bonus for Harry is that the England job does not involve any finance. Particularly as every club he leaves seems to end up in financial difficulties not long afterwards! Not sure what it means but surely it can't be coincidence that Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth, and Southampton have all had financial difficulties in recent years. There must be a mis-management link somewhere?!
Fair point but... Surely the manager should be set a budget and stick to it. I am pretty sure that at Spurs Levy will have a tight reigns on the budget and finances.

So I am not sure that a self confessed illiterate manager should be given the option to spend whatever he wants, to agree contracts etc?

Football Clubs have traditionally been run by 'successful' businessmen. If they allow the clubs football manager to leave them in a financial mess more fool them (especially when considered that his teams have generally been very successful)