A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Scott Rendell signs...

Post by A-Ro »

on loan until the end of the season.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

From my WW-supporting friend (who knows the team inside out, working for a local radio station covering them):

&quotHa ha! Div 2 is the right place for him. Turns like an oil tanker but takes a good penalty...&quot

*sigh*

Edit... second half of his text just came through:

&quotTall. No pace. One of our highest earners, so hopefully means a player in for us later today&quot

*double sigh*
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I remember him being decent for Cambridge in the Conference. I think there were rumours that we tried to sign him then....... No idea what he might be like now though.

Speaking of decent penalty takers, I think I saw that Rob Duffy scored for Grimsby at the weekend.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

He's 25. We'll be his twelfth senior club.

(I'm not commenting on his ability or writing him off before he's played, or anything like that: but it's just a rather striking feature of his CV, so not an unreasonable question as to why).
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

Not excited about this at all.

Might as well bring Jamie Guy back to sit on the bench until the end of the season.

I would love us to sign a DECENT, strong, ball winning midfielder - a younger McLaren... Then maybe we could start playing 4-1-2-1-2 with Leven in a more 'playmaker' role with a CDM sat behind him.

I'm still convinced I should be our manager... :twisted:
EIEIEIO
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

Do you mean Lewis guy? I don't think anyone wants Jamie guy back...
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I am not quite so negative as most on here seem to be about this.

76 goals in 151 games. He is far more of a 'fox in the box'- scored a very good goalscorers goal agaisnt us last season - a header if I remember.

Sure he isn't going to run around all of the time like Beano. But he may score goals if there is the supply from Leven, JPP etc.

I am, not the slightest bit worried that a Wycombe supporter thinks that League 2 is his level.

Let's see. Is somebody serious that they would prefer Lewis Guy? Strange.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Seems to have a decent scoring record up to and including league 2, but slightly less effective in league 1.

According to wiki, had an issue with his son passing away last season, which might also explain the reduced goals in that seaosn, but still scored regularly.

I'm reasonably positive about this signing.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Anyone know what's going on with Tom Craddock? He's not even making the bench these days, and now we've signed another striker...
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Anyone know what's going on with Tom Craddock? He's not even making the bench these days, and now we've signed another striker...
He was not fit enough Saturday apparently.

I would guess that Fletcher would be off now and Craddock would be on the bench?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Anyone know what's going on with Tom Craddock? He's not even making the bench these days, and now we've signed another striker...

I would guess that Fletcher would be off now and Craddock would be on the bench?
It still strikes me as odd that we have recently got rid of 3 midfielders (Chapman, Payne, Clist) and two defenders (Purkiss, Kinniburgh), yet all we've signed are two more forward players (Johnson, Rendell).

Maybe there's more news to come? Or maybe this is just the transfer equivalent of Wilder's substitution policy when we're losing - ie bung on as many forwards as possible in the hope that that will make the goals come...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:

It still strikes me as odd that we have recently got rid of 3 midfielders (Chapman, Payne, Clist) and two defenders (Purkiss, Kinniburgh), yet all we've signed are two more forward players (Johnson, Rendell).

Maybe there's more news to come? Or maybe this is just the transfer equivalent of Wilder's substitution policy when we're losing - ie bung on as many forwards as possible in the hope that that will make the goals come...
Playing Devil's Advocate, maybe it is not so surprising. Tonkin provides cover at left back (Capaldi too, eventually?) At right back Whing can fill in (given that we have players like Asa Hall, or McLaren, who can take over the deep midfielder role), and we have Worley as a direct replacement at centre-back (or, again, Whing if needed).

Given that our biggest problem is scoring goals, maybe focusing more on midfield and up front is not such a bad thing. After all, having lots of strikers who cannot score (or at least score regularly) is akin to not having strikers...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Given that our biggest problem is scoring goals, maybe focusing more on midfield and up front is not such a bad thing. After all, having lots of strikers who cannot score (or at least score regularly) is akin to not having strikers...
That rather depends on whether you think the fault lies with those strikers for being useless, or with the rest of the set-up for not providing enough good service to them.

Even with Wilson's signing, we've hardly got an abundance of midfield players. And he doesn't seem to contribute much to the goals tally, looking at his stats.

Unless Rendell's signing means a switch to 4-4-2, whereby Potter/Johnson/maybe even Pittman become wingers?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

obligatory youtube hunt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K4EBfTb8A8

'bangs them in when it gets scrappy' will do very nicely
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Given that our biggest problem is scoring goals, maybe focusing more on midfield and up front is not such a bad thing. After all, having lots of strikers who cannot score (or at least score regularly) is akin to not having strikers...
That rather depends on whether you think the fault lies with those strikers for being useless, or with the rest of the set-up for not providing enough good service to them.

Even with Wilson's signing, we've hardly got an abundance of midfield players. And he doesn't seem to contribute much to the goals tally, looking at his stats.

Unless Rendell's signing means a switch to 4-4-2, whereby Potter/Johnson/maybe even Pittman become wingers?
I agree - strikers need service and for that we need a better supply line from the midfield. I do hope you are right about 442. We need another person playing as a striker, rather than as a winger supplying a single striker (who, currently, is not scoring enough...and so the argument goes around again)