Redknapp trial

Anything yellow and blue
bspittles
Brat

Redknapp trial

Post by bspittles »

Interesting tweet at 12:47 https://twitter.com/#!/@Pearcesport

&quotDuring cross examination of Hills, Redknapp's barrister revealed R made &quotdisastrous investments&quot including £250,000 loss in Oxford United&quot
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Wasn't the first crook* to invest in us

* Allegedly
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotBreak in Redknapp trial: court has heard he made 'disastrous investments' including £250,000 loan for a friend's bid to buy Oxford Utd&quot
&quotThe Oxford loan 'disappeared into the mist' according to his barrister. Redknapp's banker says loan was to a former chairman and friend.&quot
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:&quotBreak in Redknapp trial: court has heard he made 'disastrous investments' including £250,000 loan for a friend's bid to buy Oxford Utd&quot
&quotThe Oxford loan 'disappeared into the mist' according to his barrister. Redknapp's banker says loan was to a former chairman and friend.&quot
Merry?
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Not Merry, the Bald Eagle. Allegedly.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

Post by pottersrightboot »

&quotSWA&quot wrote:Not Merry, the Bald Eagle. Allegedly.
Think carefully. Was Jim ever chairman of the club?
:roll:
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:
As the tale is to show Harry's financial incompetence, I'd be surprised if they are that bothered about whether it was Jim or Nick - just the number.

I guess Jim Smith put NM in touch with Harry, and an investment/loan was made. Quite what route it took is another question - to Nick, to Jim, straight to the WPL bank, or into the club bank account, and where it is recorded in the books and records. My guess here is that WPL decided it was a personal loan between Harry and Nick, and added it to Nick's loan account in WPL (which also ties in with the 'other creditors' in WPL of £493K.)
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Two questions: - is there any certainty that anyone to do with OUFC was ever actually involved, or is there a question that this 250k just disappeared 'elsewhere'?

Also, not folllowing this closely, but is the general feel that 'Arry is i) going down, ii) gonna get off, iii) somewhere in the middle, but screwed in terms of the England job?
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
As the tale is to show Harry's financial incompetence, I'd be surprised if they are that bothered about whether it was Jim or Nick - just the number.

I guess Jim Smith put NM in touch with Harry, and an investment/loan was made. Quite what route it took is another question - to Nick, to Jim, straight to the WPL bank, or into the club bank account, and where it is recorded in the books and records. My guess here is that WPL decided it was a personal loan between Harry and Nick, and added it to Nick's loan account in WPL (which also ties in with the 'other creditors' in WPL of £493K.)
Harry has got a great brief. Blame it on the professionals.
And he can't read nor write nor nuffink, let him off guvnor!

Personally I think he's bang to, but then I'm not on the jury.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Two questions: - is there any certainty that anyone to do with OUFC was ever actually involved, or is there a question that this 250k just disappeared 'elsewhere'?

Also, not folllowing this closely, but is the general feel that 'Arry is i) going down, ii) gonna get off, iii) somewhere in the middle, but screwed in terms of the England job?
1 Ask Nick Merry.
2 Do your own research.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote: Think carefully. Was Jim ever chairman of the club?

Harry has got a great brief. Blame it on the professionals.
And he can't read nor write nor nuffink, let him off guvnor!

Personally I think he's bang to, but then I'm not on the jury.
It doesn't look good for him, but I think he's going to 'do a Ken Dodd'.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Two questions: - is there any certainty that anyone to do with OUFC was ever actually involved, or is there a question that this 250k just disappeared 'elsewhere'?

I'm not sure there is any evidence that anyone frm OUFC was involved ever. The £250k was a loan to a friend of Redknapp for a failed takeover bid.

What did happen to the butcher, the baker....?

I think Harry is going to blame his accountant (that won't work as the taxpayer is responsible for their own Tax Return) and Mandaric for allegedly saying there was no tax due on the payments.

Mandaric will probably say it was down to Harry to declare his own tax affairs properly (that only works to the extent that he can prove as employer that he took all reasonable steps to determine the correct tax liability).

Mandaric might get off on the grounds that Portsmouth FC were the employer, not him, and he was just a vehicle for movement of cash. That would dump Portsmouth FC in it even more than they already are.

Harry's story seems highly dubious in my opinion, given that Rosie47 was only used for this payment, and the account was set up in Monaco rather than the UK. If there was no evasion intended, why not set the account up in the UK, or why not use an existing UK account?

But these guys can afford very expensive lawyers and accountants, so it will be interesting to see if they find a piece of badly worded legislation to get off with.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

According to the report on the Telegraph website (which is word for word identical to that on the Mail website, interestingly), Redknapp's Monaco bank manager refers to the 'investment' saying: &quotWith regard to the shares (in Oxford United)... it is fair to say they were very unsuccessful.&quot

This makes it sound like more than just a loan to a mate who was interested in taking over the club, but which came to nothing. He seems to think that Redknapp held shares in something at some point (presumably not OUFC though).

Whatever, the fact that his defence counsel seem to think this episode is strong evidence of his innocence seems laughable. It is possible to be stupid and crooked, surely?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

He’s going to get off, of that I have no doubt, and the bookies agree with me - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager

However, I’m still curious about this quarter of a million quid ‘Arry allegedly pissed away on Oxford United. Maybe an official statement on our club website would help clarify things.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
However, I’m still curious about this quarter of a million quid ‘Arry allegedly pissed away on Oxford United.
Remember that lap dancing club in Banbury ?