Constable Gone?

Anything yellow and blue
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

Absolutely Gutted - To be honest, I can't even believe that we have accepted a bid from Slumdon in the first place - unless it's in and around 500k. SHOCKING PR from our club. Hello Slumdon, we hate you, have our best player. Great.

If Beano went and joined ANY other bloody club I wouldn't mind too much - so long as we found a replacement. A replacement that isn't an average loan signing, or a striker from Barrow. Who the hell could we get?

If he left us for under 200k I would be distraught. It would be an absolute joke. It looks as if the club has told him to leave in some ways. CAN'T WAIT to hear Kelvin's next interview. To me, it seems as though we are accepting they are the bigger club, they have more ambition, they are striving to improve.

I'm not an idiot and usually conduct myself fairly well, however, if Beano joins Slumdon, I will be an animal 03/03/2012 and will not be all happy and gracious for everything he has done - which is stupid on many levels... I need to here the story from both Kelvin's and Beano's mouth before I decide to boo Beano, or the club itself...

Rant over. Sorry. I'm expecting abuse.
EIEIEIO
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

Post by pottersrightboot »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:The numbers being discussed of £250k to £400k are too low.

I think Beano is a £500k || striker anyway, even without the matter of the bidding club being a promotion rival.

Agreeing to sell our top striker for the last 3 years, to one of our main rivals for promotion, is bonkers, unless it is for silly money. Unless it is for really serious money, it is little better than handing our potential promotion place to them, and Wilder and Thomas will lose a lot of credibility and goodwill for this if it happens.
Not bonkers inthe slightest.

No way on God's earth is Beano worth £500K! For starters look at his first touch,it's barely good enough for midtable L2.

He's just ONE player as well. There are at least 4 more valuable players in the first team to boot.

If we get anything more than £225K , (and I bet we have), that's good business.

You bang on about football clubs needing to be run with financial prudence. You can't have it both ways.

Let's see who the replacement(s) are before vowing vengeance on the management hey?

Lastly, I bet Darlington wish they had our problems!
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

Surely we already have someone lined up - I would take a good guess that McLeod is on his way...
EIEIEIO
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well with Smalley gone to Bradford, and Constable allowed to discuss terms, surely we have someone else lined up. Wilder prefers players who drop down a league (ie L2 to BSP), and for all Constable's work rate, we have for 1 1/2 years tried to build a L2 team around him as centre forward in the absence of anyone else who can do that any better (Midson / Green / Smalley).

Although a transfer fee will help, I wonder if JC had a 'highest paid player' clause when he last renewed his contract, and finances dictate that letting a highly paid player go frees up more for the rest of the squad. (The assumption being that Leven and Duberry might be on higher wages than JC was before)

If he does go to Slumdon, there is of course the small matter of how he gets on there. If they get into League 1, surely PDC will want a better striker next season. And if they don't get promotion, PDC will still want a new striker for next season.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:The numbers being discussed of £250k to £400k are too low.

I think Beano is a £500k || striker anyway, even without the matter of the bidding club being a promotion rival.

Agreeing to sell our top striker for the last 3 years, to one of our main rivals for promotion, is bonkers, unless it is for silly money. Unless it is for really serious money, it is little better than handing our potential promotion place to them, and Wilder and Thomas will lose a lot of credibility and goodwill for this if it happens.
IMHO £500k is A LOT of money for a striker who scored 17 goals last season.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Simply numb.

1- It's that lot
2- It's a promotion rival

Rumours that we're about to sign Lee Barnard from Southampton in the morning.

Smalley and Beano wages doubling up to pay for it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:

Not bonkers inthe slightest.

No way on God's earth is Beano worth £500K! For starters look at his first touch,it's barely good enough for midtable L2.

He's just ONE player as well. There are at least 4 more valuable players in the first team to boot.

If we get anything more than £225K , (and I bet we have), that's good business.

You bang on about football clubs needing to be run with financial prudence. You can't have it both ways.

Let's see who the replacement(s) are before vowing vengeance on the management hey?

Lastly, I bet Darlington wish they had our problems!
Absolute nonsense young man.

Ignoring that you've mixed up about fifteen different arguments with no relevance to each other.

There are very few strikers who have consistently scored more than Beano in this division. And virtually none that provide so many other aspects to the team, and certainly we have no one in the team as good or anywhere near as valuable (financially or footballing) as him.

We do not have another marksman. And please don't say Craddock, good though he is, he is never going to be 20 goals a season and he does none of the chasing down, nor the movement that Beano has.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Don't forget that Shrewsbury have a 20% sell on clause in the contract, so say the fee is £250,000 which appears to be the maximum we'd still only get £200,000 :(
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Peter Rhodes Brown Facebook status:

Players go from Everton to Liverpool or the other way round, , Arsenal to Spurs, Rovers to City and Even managers from Birmingham to Villa , when the dust settles if it goes through, we will all carry on and push onward and upward with new players coming in , CW knows the score and i BELIEVE COYY

Jamie Cook is also tweeting that he'll be on Rad Ox in the morning to comment.

Beast on Twitter is saying people don't know the facts of the situation.

Read into that lot what you will.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Simply numb.

1- It's that lot
2- It's a promotion rival

Rumours that we're about to sign Lee Barnard from Southampton in the morning.

Smalley and Beano wages doubling up to pay for it.
So that would be getting rid of a 20 goal a season striker, and a former 20 goal a season striker, to get in a 10 goal a season striker.

If Beano goes for anythign less than £500k I am going to be seriously pissed off with those in positions of power at the club.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Constable Gone?

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC_Gav&quot wrote:Beano just tweeted:
Can't believe some of the things that have been wrote about me on here today, get the facts straight before levelling abuse!! #gutted
Probably not the time to correct his grammar then? It's written, James, written.
I expect he's getting the practice in before the move!

I presume this is a done deal, and the Smalley sale is to make a bit of room on top of whatever we get for Constable to go for a decent L2 marksman.

Wilder's record in the transfer market is hardly stellar though......
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Constable Gone?

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC_Gav&quot wrote:Beano just tweeted:
Can't believe some of the things that have been wrote about me on here today, get the facts straight before levelling abuse!! #gutted
Probably not the time to correct his grammar then? It's written, James, written.
I expect he's getting the practice in before the move!

I presume this is a done deal, and the Smalley sale is to make a bit of room on top of whatever we get for Constable to go for a decent L2 marksman.

Wilder's record in the transfer market is hardly stellar though......
Wilder's record on strikers is even worse!
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I think some are being a bit harsh on Wilder's trnasfer record. Yes he's cocked some up but so have the best managers. And he's also made numerous great signings. I'd rather have a manger that makes a fair few bad signings and then moves them on quickly and makes some great ones than a manager that signs endless average players, or go for non stop big name/shock signings.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

If we were able to get Izale McLeod and manage to get R.Hall until the end of the season - we get promoted I would have thought.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

My fear is that this is a big wind up by PDC in order to cause civil war at our club - already most fans are calling for wilder, KT and Beano to never darken our door again...

If they now miraculously fail to agree terms, where does it leave us?

Personally, I'd take anything over 300k for him. Much though I love him, his work ethic, I just feel his first touch is a bit lacking at this level, and he'll definitely struggle at a higher level.

I just wish it wasn't Slumdon, though, just because of the problems it's causing.